Combating the post-weed munchies

Options
2»

Replies

• queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There are strains that can help lower glucose and do not bring on the munchies. Lol. I think sativa like someone mentioned above. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Have healthier foods that love around and don't have hot chips and oreos in the house.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I smoke almost every night and it is insanely hard to not go crazy with the snacks. I usually try to watch serving sizes and be mindful while I'm chewing!
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    It's funny how people told you to stop smoking instead of helping with the question you asked.

I think most of the people who answered in the manner either don't like it or aren't experienced enough with it to know how to redirect.

Smoking weed is an avoidance tactic to mental pain like smoking or over eating. It is compensating for something. On a board where people have to deal with this head on, why would anyone expect anything but an anti stance???!!!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    jswede1149 wrote: »
    It's funny how people told you to stop smoking instead of helping with the question you asked.

I think most of the people who answered in the manner either don't like it or aren't experienced enough with it to know how to redirect.

Smoking weed is an avoidance tactic to mental pain like smoking or over eating. It is compensating for something. On a board where people have to deal with this head on, why would anyone expect anything but an anti stance???!!!

People can drink, smoke, and enjoy weed without having mental issues or mental pains.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    jswede1149 wrote: »

People can drink, smoke, and enjoy weed without having mental issues or mental pains.

This.

If one has mental problems or pains, these may complicate them. In some number of people, it's possible that these could even cause some, if there's some predisposition or biochemical incompatibility. But for many, it's possible to keep use to a level consistent with a productive life, so it's just a fun thing, with some pluses and some minuses, like almost any choice in life.

(And I know enough cancer patients, being myself a survivor, to not want to discount the anti-nausea effects. I didn't smoke pot, but during chemo I couldn't even keep anti-nausea pills down.)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Federal legalities for recreational use aside ... it is a drug known, and actually prescribed, to increase appetite. The logical answer is to avoid taking the drug if one wants to avoid its known effects.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Another solution would be to increase your activity level and plan/cook your meals in advance.

Boosting appetite could actually be a helpful thing for someone who is Bulking. Have you ever tried to eat two or three as many calories as your TDEE? It's tough!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Jelly Belly jelly beans.

50 flavors. Gluten free. Peanut free. Dairy free. Vegetarian. Certified Kosher.

4 calories per jelly. :)

They also make chocolate covered fruit flavors. But those don't meet the above criteria except the 4 calories per jelly.
  • Piper911
    Piper911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely popcorn! It takes a long time to eat too if you eat it piece by piece. I also like flavored seltzer water when I smoke. The bubbles fill me up. Just have to make sure you don't get a kind with a lot of sodium.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bunch of tea totalers on here...redirect clean, color, call a friend, listen to music, make a big pot of tea, enjoy physical pleasures, and get away from food
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OMG, I hear ya!!! I just try not to vape often or much! Not much help I know.... :s
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I personally redirect myself from munching and do exercise instead. Some form of stretching like yoga or something like that. If you're not the type that can do that then I would consider consuming your cannabis instead of vaping

Great suggestion! Discover the joy of edibles and stretching tai chi, yoga, exercise. If you feel euphoric take a run or lift.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Change the time of your main meal for afterwards, pre-prepare said meal and "munch-out" on that? What we did in college was work out in the gym, smoke and then go to dinner. Still gotta watch your portions (hence the pre-prepare). ;-)
  • slowcheese
    slowcheese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Smoke until you're too high to be hungry.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Haha, MFP is so anti-pot :P Anyway, a few things to consider:

1) Strains can make a big difference. With the emergence of more and more medically-intended cannabis strains, you're going to have more precice information about how it will probably affect you. Some weed will make you hungry (this is often supplied for people with hic or nausia from chemo), whereas others will have been designed to not give you the munchies. Check out leafly.com for more info.

It honestly might be a matter of switching from indica to sativa. Indica is known to make people sleepy and hungry.

2) Pre-plan. Make yourself healthy snacks to have on hand. This will make it easier to count calories if you do go crazy and have 5 helpings of veg and hummous and not 1. Make sure you put any high-cal food you might snack on out of sight. If you're stoned you're probably going to go for the easy option.

3) it's mostly in your head - like when you get the munchies, you're not actually ravenously hungry, you just think you are. Find a distraction, it shouldn't be hard when you're stoned, haha.

Btw, running and working our is awesome when you're stoned.

Munchies are easy to overcome with a bit of practic :)

This. Exactly :smiley:
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wow, the things you learn on MFP. Actually it's very interesting being a child of the 70s. I can't remember what I used to eat when I had the munchies - does that say something about my brain cells lol.