Combating the post-weed munchies

Options
What do you guys eat when you have the munchies? ;)

I've been *so* good with eating healthily since I started this weight loss journey, except when I've been vaping. Then it's hot chips and oreos :s. I usually only indulge on days when I've already been to the gym and burnt a lot of calories, but I'd like to pretty much cut out all junk food.

Suggestions for healthy food that I can have on hand and snack on instead?

I was thinking carrot/cucumber sticks and hummus perhaps...?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke it but I'd hazard a guess that it is like any time you want to binge. Be more disciplined and snack on low calorie options. SF jelly with berries, seafood sticks, popcorn etc
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Or you could stop doing the thing that triggers the munchies....just saying.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you know it makes you raid the cupboards, either stop doing it, or plan ahead for it. Allot yourself some munchies calories (even if it's a whole bag of cheetos) and pre-portion everything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Or you could stop doing the thing that triggers the munchies....just saying.

^^^ THIS. Pot is known to stimulate the appetite.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would just stop smoking weed and then you won't have to worry about getting the munchies
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I personally redirect myself from munching and do exercise instead. Some form of stretching like yoga or something like that. If you're not the type that can do that then I would consider consuming your cannabis instead of vaping
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    You won't get sunburn if you avoid sitting in it. There's an echoing theme here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people told you to stop smoking instead of helping with the question you asked. Honestly I only get the munchies every once in a while, and then it's sweets and salt that I want too. Why not go to a natural food store or just look in your regular grocery store for somewhat healthier alternatives. Nuts or those chips made from veggies instead of real chips. Cookies or sweets made only with ingredients you recognize. That kind of thing. I just don't think carrots and hummus are going to cut it - at least they wouldn't for me! It's possible to get your salty sweet fix without eating a bunch of processed "junk." You may still have to budget your calories, but you might feel better about what you're eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Indian puppodums (can be microwaved dry): Crunchy, salty, spicy (depending on the flavor you buy), quite low in calories and made from chickpea flour so more protein-y than carb-y. (I buy Sharwoods Puppodums and they're 80 calories for 4 tortilla-sized rounds that get all puffy & wrinkly & crunchy after you microwave them.) If it's craving for sweets, maybe relatively lower-cal fruits like watermelon or mango.

Depending on your orientation to life when you're high, consider things that are tasty but harder or more time-consuming to eat, like Pistachios in the shell. (I can see how these could be either pleasantly entertaining or immensely frustrating, depending on the person.) Or home-made popcorn, high volume and can take some time to eat.

Or, again depending on what's fun to you when you're high, consider activities rather than food: Meditating, tai chi, yoga, coloring (there are a bunch of *elaborate* adult-targeted coloring books available now).

I'm old & boring & don't do things like that any more, but one doesn't totally forget.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    snack on vegetables like celery sticks, cherry tomatoes,plan ahead to have a treat like a serving of Oreo's and a glass of milk. skinny pop popcorn only has 39 calories per cup and tastes really good, there is also cotton candy flavored grapes only 50 calories per half cup serving. Or you could do non food related activities like go for a nature walk, hang out in your backyard and enjoy the peace and quiet, read a book or watch a movie.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haha, MFP is so anti-pot :P Anyway, a few things to consider:

1) Strains can make a big difference. With the emergence of more and more medically-intended cannabis strains, you're going to have more precice information about how it will probably affect you. Some weed will make you hungry (this is often supplied for people with hic or nausia from chemo), whereas others will have been designed to not give you the munchies. Check out leafly.com for more info.

It honestly might be a matter of switching from indica to sativa. Indica is known to make people sleepy and hungry.

2) Pre-plan. Make yourself healthy snacks to have on hand. This will make it easier to count calories if you do go crazy and have 5 helpings of veg and hummous and not 1. Make sure you put any high-cal food you might snack on out of sight. If you're stoned you're probably going to go for the easy option.

3) it's mostly in your head - like when you get the munchies, you're not actually ravenously hungry, you just think you are. Find a distraction, it shouldn't be hard when you're stoned, haha.

Btw, running and working our is awesome when you're stoned.

Munchies are easy to overcome with a bit of practic :)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people told you to stop smoking instead of helping with the question you asked.

I think most of the people who answered in the manner either don't like it or aren't experienced enough with it to know how to redirect.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Nicotine
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to smoke, pick up some things lower in calorie on your way home from the gym. Lots of things taste good, even after smoking. Watermelon, yogurt with cocoa powder/honey, frozen yogurt, a single serving bag of chips, etc.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    - Get skinny pop popcorn (decent amount for 150cal)
    - smart pop by Orville redenbacker (260 cal for a whole bag)
    - Rice cakes, rice crackers
    - 100 calorie snack bars (special k, fibre one etc)
    - apple slices with nut butter or cinnamon sprinkled on top
    - cereal
    - Veggie tray with hummus
    - Fruit tray with yogurt for dipping
    - hummus and Flatbread

Hmmmm..
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Could try popchips or simply protein chips to substitute but popcorn ftw
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try veggie straws! They are only 130 calories for 38 straws. Basically they are chips made from organic potatoes and other vegetables so they are healthier and still taste great. I get them from wal-mart. Ranch flavor is the best. I currently have sea salt and cheddar cheese flavored veggie straws. They also have apple straws made from apples with cinnamon flavor. Delicious!
  • bananabeancat
    bananabeancat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people told you to stop smoking instead of helping with the question you asked.

Haha indeed! It's my one "vice" so I don't have any plans on stopping!

Half the time I lie outside in my hammock and sketch/listen to music while enjoying the garden and that's very peaceful, but if I'm inside I tend to go for snacks and video games. I think I will make more of an effort to be outside and go for walks.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Indian puppodums (can be microwaved dry): Crunchy, salty, spicy (depending on the flavor you buy), quite low in calories and made from chickpea flour so more protein-y than carb-y. (I buy Sharwoods Puppodums and they're 80 calories for 4 tortilla-sized rounds that get all puffy & wrinkly & crunchy after you microwave them.).

This sounds awesome!

Btw, running and working our is awesome when you're stoned.

A few people have said this, and it's such a bizarre idea to me :D. I'll have to try going for a run around the park and see how it goes.

I definitely like the air popcorn suggestions. After researching a bit on my own I have the following ideas:

nonya achar - spicy/salty Malaysian vegetable pickles (like my Granny makes) - generally it includes cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, diced peanuts, cabbage etc.

homemade popsicles - made with fruit, coconut water and stevia

zucchini noodles with pesto & lemon

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    nonya achar - spicy/salty Malaysian vegetable pickles (like my Granny makes) - generally it includes cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, diced peanuts, cabbage etc.
    Wowzers - those sound wonderful even without the pot! I need to find out more about those (... heads off to Google...).