Is chlorine in our water negative for better health?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Depending on the US municipality, water can go from chlorinated to "H0lee $heeet it smells like a public swimming pool" bad.

This is very true. The city I just moved out of had the public swimming pool water. Seriously...it was terrible.
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.

That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly.

That's really, really odd since every time I go into the dentist's office for a cleaning, I'm given a fluoride treatment. And MANY dentists recommend higher fluoride treatments (mount rinses or toothpastes) in response to cavities including in adults.

Is your dentist board certified?

Yes. He has no problem advising about what is necessary and what isn't. It would make sense that most dentists would recommend fluoride every time. Do you know how much they charge you and/or your insurance company for fluoride treatment? Do that twice a year for every patient and that treatment alone makes a lot of money.
    Fluoride is helpful for teeth. My dentist gave me a tube of stuff to use when our water went to hell. He actually asked me about it because so many people have stopped drinking it, lol.

I don't know what the tube costs, but he never advised it before our little poopy water thing. I really don't think he was doing it to make a profit, but because he thought it was for the best.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First world problem. There are still two billion people needing secure water supply, and would happily accept chlorination to get there.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/natural-sciences/environment/water/wwap/facts-and-figures/water-supply-sanitation-and-health/

And this when was the last time we had an outbreak of dead babies from diarrhea
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Depending on the US municipality, water can go from chlorinated to "H0lee $heeet it smells like a public swimming pool" bad.

This is very true. The city I just moved out of had the public swimming pool water. Seriously...it was terrible.
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.

That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly.

That's really, really odd since every time I go into the dentist's office for a cleaning, I'm given a fluoride treatment. And MANY dentists recommend higher fluoride treatments (mount rinses or toothpastes) in response to cavities including in adults.

Yes. He has no problem advising about what is necessary and what isn't. It would make sense that most dentists would recommend fluoride every time. Do you know how much they charge you and/or your insurance company for fluoride treatment? Do that twice a year for every patient and that treatment alone makes a lot of money.
    Fluoride is helpful for teeth. My dentist gave me a tube of stuff to use when our water went to hell. He actually asked me about it because so many people have stopped drinking it, lol.

I don't know what the tube costs, but he never advised it before our little poopy water thing. I really don't think he was doing it to make a profit, but because he thought it was for the best.

But you're saying he never advised fluoride treatments until that point right? So again it fits with what I said...we get enough of it from water and toothpaste (normally) to suffice and not need additional costly dental treatments (except in circumstances like yours where your water was bad).
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

But you're saying he never advised fluoride treatments until that point right? So again it fits with what I said...we get enough of it from water and toothpaste (normally) to suffice and not need additional costly dental treatments (except in circumstances like yours where your water was bad).

That's a much different statement than:

"That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly."

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

That's a much different statement than:

"That's kind of odd....my dentist flat out told me that he believes fluoride only matters in children....at least regularly."

No it's really not. If anything my first statement was only incomplete as I did not state his reasoning (because as I said later...I really don't know whether it's a tin foil hat type of thing or just because we get enough from other sources).

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Correct. He said people who don't drink tap water should get their fluoride elsewhere - like people who drink bottled water or pop or whathaveyou.

It's good for the teeth (and bones), so I use my little tube. I buy it at the pharmacy, though, so the dentist doesn't even make any money there unless he's getting kickbacks. If he'd been in it for the cash, though, I think he'd have advised it before the poopy water problem.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options

This one hard to prove as well as the huge upsurge in cavities could be related to the huge upsurge in consumption of sugary food and drinks.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Fluoride is beneficial on the surface of the teeth of adults and children. However, when you drink that water into your stomach it does nothing beneficial beyond the couple of seconds it MAY be in contact with your teeth.

Dental office fluoride treatments are on the surface of one's teeth, not their stomach. Fluoride in the municipal water supply benefits little to nothing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    PhyAnne wrote: »
    Heavily chlorinated water will also kill off large numbers of the good bacteria, which we do need within our intestines for proper assimilation of nutrients. The result of good gut flora die-off is similar to after having taken an antiobiotic, not fun either.
    Drinking lightly chlorinated water, over time, can also cause the same problems as heavily chlorinated water.
    Hey, I like being healthy too, but I refuse both fluoride and chlorine. Chemical? Conspiracy? Nah, it's chemicals that maybe water needs, but my body doesn't like them and does revolt when I'm forced to drink water with the chemicals.

Get the water that either has the chemicals removed, or get the water and remove those chemicals yourself. You do need clean water, you do not need those chemicals.

Of course the 2 billion people want the chlorinated water, but I will bet that some of those people who are informed will attempt to remove the chlorine too, like most people do.

Source?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

What's hilarious is that my fluoride comments came up because someone was complaining that people put fluoride in the water (all the horrible toxins/chemicals in the water). I feel like we are walk around in circles in the conversation...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    chlorine = no fecal content

I'll happily drink chlorine to avoid drinking sh*{t. Thank you very much.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "Shilajit should not be..."

Let me finish that quotation for you:
    • consumed
    • purchased
    • depended on for anything.

Just another fad which may or may not have originally been useful to the locals which made use of it but is now being flogged by the unscrupulous to the unwitting and unwary.

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2005/13699a-eng.php
    Health Canada is warning consumers not to use certain Ayurvedic medicinal products because they contain high levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and/or arsenic. Health Canada is taking action to remove these products from the market and to prevent further importation into Canada.

Ayurvedic medicinal products are used in traditional Indian healing and are often imported from India. According to the principles of Ayurvedic medicine, heavy metals may be used because of their reputed therapeutic properties. However, improper manufacturing processes may result in dangerously high levels of heavy metals remaining in the final product.

Heavy metals pose a particular health risk because they may accumulate in vital organs. Children are most susceptible to the toxic effects of heavy metal poisoning. For example, arsenic poisoning can cause nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, muscle cramps, heart abnormalities, liver damage, anaemia and reduced motor nerve function. Lead poisoning can cause weight loss, insomnia, dizziness, swelling of the brain and paralysis. Mercury poisoning can cause tremors, insomnia, memory loss, slowed sensory and motor nerve function, and reduced mental function.

The following is a list of the unapproved Ayurvedic medicinal products found on the Canadian market thus far, which have been analyzed by Health Canada and found to contain high levels of lead, mercury and/or arsenic:

Karela tablets, produced by Shriji Herbal Products, India
    Karela capsules, produced by Himalaya Drug Co, India
    Karela capsules, produced by Charantia, UK (specifically batch #12011)
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, D & K Pharmacy, Bhavnagar, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Chhatrisha, Lalpur, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Dabur India Ltd, New Delhi, India
    SAFI liquid, produced by Hamdard-WAKF-Pakistan
    SAFI liquid, produced by Hamdard-WAKF-India
    Yograj Guggul tablets, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Sudarshan tablets, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Shilajit capsules, produced by Dabur India Ltd, New Delhi, India
    As a precaution, Health Canada advises Canadians not to use any other Karela, Safi, Maha Sudarshan Churna, Yograj Guggul, Sudarshan or Shilajit products unless they have the required market authorization.

I drink tap water. It's delicious.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can't spell Shilajit without $###
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to be freaky organic, filtered, natural etc and realized people get cancer being like that as well. I think it's all in our genes. We all have our time, don't worry about it. Our water is just recently chlorinated and I buy filtered because I don't like the taste. Or I leave a jug in the fridge and let the chlorine leave.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    We had unhealthy drinking water here a couple years ago. I switched to bottled or at least running it through a PUR filter. All my neighbors did, too. Some have water delivered in tanks.

As long as I live here, I will be drinking bottled water. Once bitten!

Considering that most bottled water comes from California, and they are deep in a drought right now, that's contributing to a much worse problem. Not to mention that drinking water out of plastic isn't very good for you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    We had unhealthy drinking water here a couple years ago. I switched to bottled or at least running it through a PUR filter. All my neighbors did, too. Some have water delivered in tanks.

As long as I live here, I will be drinking bottled water. Once bitten!

Considering that most bottled water comes from California, and they are deep in a drought right now, that's contributing to a much worse problem. Not to mention that drinking water out of plastic isn't very good for you.

Ya!! Don't by bottled water :D I have a bucket to catch the shower water as it warms up. LOL

We also use, "the if it's yellow let mellow" rule.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    "Shilajit should not be..."

Let me finish that quotation for you:
    • consumed
    • purchased
    • depended on for anything.

Just another fad which may or may not have originally been useful to the locals which made use of it but is now being flogged by the unscrupulous to the unwitting and unwary.

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2005/13699a-eng.php
    Health Canada is warning consumers not to use certain Ayurvedic medicinal products because they contain high levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and/or arsenic. Health Canada is taking action to remove these products from the market and to prevent further importation into Canada.

Ayurvedic medicinal products are used in traditional Indian healing and are often imported from India. According to the principles of Ayurvedic medicine, heavy metals may be used because of their reputed therapeutic properties. However, improper manufacturing processes may result in dangerously high levels of heavy metals remaining in the final product.

Heavy metals pose a particular health risk because they may accumulate in vital organs. Children are most susceptible to the toxic effects of heavy metal poisoning. For example, arsenic poisoning can cause nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, muscle cramps, heart abnormalities, liver damage, anaemia and reduced motor nerve function. Lead poisoning can cause weight loss, insomnia, dizziness, swelling of the brain and paralysis. Mercury poisoning can cause tremors, insomnia, memory loss, slowed sensory and motor nerve function, and reduced mental function.

The following is a list of the unapproved Ayurvedic medicinal products found on the Canadian market thus far, which have been analyzed by Health Canada and found to contain high levels of lead, mercury and/or arsenic:

Karela tablets, produced by Shriji Herbal Products, India
    Karela capsules, produced by Himalaya Drug Co, India
    Karela capsules, produced by Charantia, UK (specifically batch #12011)
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, D & K Pharmacy, Bhavnagar, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Chhatrisha, Lalpur, India
    Maha Sudarshan Churna powder, produced by Dabur India Ltd, New Delhi, India
    SAFI liquid, produced by Hamdard-WAKF-Pakistan
    SAFI liquid, produced by Hamdard-WAKF-India
    Yograj Guggul tablets, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Sudarshan tablets, produced by Zandu Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai, India
    Shilajit capsules, produced by Dabur India Ltd, New Delhi, India
    As a precaution, Health Canada advises Canadians not to use any other Karela, Safi, Maha Sudarshan Churna, Yograj Guggul, Sudarshan or Shilajit products unless they have the required market authorization.

I drink tap water. It's delicious.

@mwyvr thanks for highlighting the products of concern found in Canada. Where there is $$$ there are cons always.

This paper from Chile in paragraph 7 voices concerns over some Shilajit sources.
    hindawi.com/journals/ijad/2012/674142/

I was reading about the Clinoptilolite forum of Zeolite on Dr. Howard Peiper's site (link is below) how some think Clinoptilolite improved cases of autism. He openly states he promote Zeo Health products since it was their brand of Zeolite used in some cancer research. They have a product that has both Zeolite and Fulvic Acid. That lead to the shilajit subject and the warning in the initial post.
    zeolitefacts.org/

On the subject of supplements they all carry an element of risk and for that reason I not suggest others take them. Google is one way to learn pros and cons on most any subject and that is what I use for my own research into any supplement before I do a trial use of it.

Supplements that have been in continued use for 3000-5000 years interest me. If they had no value I question they would still be in usage today. It must have been more than a future huge gullible USA market driving 4000 years of usage. :)

Actually I am trying to understand how different supplements may work in light of the known science of today like the P21 anti-cancer factor that some associate with taking the clinoptilolite form of zeolites for example.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Supplements that have been in continued use for 3000-5000 years interest me. If they had no value I question they would still be in usage today. It must have been more than a future huge gullible USA market driving 4000 years of usage. :)

Mercury contamination is modern.

Gullibility is as old as man.