Just can't seem to exercise

Options
Hey everyone,

It's really weird, I just can't seem to intentionally exercise. I walk to and from the train station to college, but when I have free time I just can't bring myself to put on my shoes and go for a run around the block, or put on an exercise DVD and work out! I don't know what is wrong with me - I've been on a holiday this week from college and yet every morning I just stay in bed even though I really want to exercise! :(

What's worked for you guys? How can I get my mojo back? How can I force myself to just get out of bed and go?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You can't force yourself. You either WANT to do it or NOT. Sounds like you just don't want to do it. Till you do, you'll fight it every time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • eatcleantarajane
    eatcleantarajane Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for wanting it then?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I get into "down" times which happens every couple of years it's usually following a vacation where I didn't work out. I just take a week or two off then tell myself to just do 10 min of exercise. Once I get started its like I get jump started and get my mojo back. Turn on the DVD and do just 10 min. if that's all you want. The next day do 15. You'll get re enthused. Just do it!
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Another good thing is doing exercises you actually enjoy doing. If you don't like running, then bike or swim, play soccer, go hiking, etc... Some people actually get more motivated if they are being held accountable. So make plans with friends thay you know you can't get out of. Or follow a weekly class where you are EXPECTED.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You don't have to want to exercise to do it anyway. Are you getting 8 hours of sleep at night?
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    When I get into "down" times which happens every couple of years it's usually following a vacation where I didn't work out. I just take a week or two off then tell myself to just do 10 min of exercise. Once I get started its like I get jump started and get my mojo back. Turn on the DVD and do just 10 min. if that's all you want. The next day do 15. You'll get re enthused. Just do it!

This. Just tell yourself you'll do 10 minutes. That's easy. Getting started is usually the hardest part. I have trouble getting out of bed early in the morning to go on my run but I know that the hardest part is already done once I'm out the door. I'm dressed, I'm out there so why not enjoy the fresh morning air and the feeling of having accomplished something and having extra energy for the day. Just get out there, do it. It's hard, I know, but once you're at it it's not that bad anymore.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't like intentional exercise in any form, but at some point I stopped thinking about what I "should" be doing (running, weightlifting, etc.) and focused on what I WILL do (walking and yoga). The exercise you WILL do is better for you than the exercise you should do but won't.

Pick the time of day you will actually work out, too. I used to have grand ideas that I would exercise first thing in the morning. Never did. I exercise now right after I get home from work, before I've had a chance to relax. Sure I'm tired after a long day, but it's a lot easier to keep myself moving than to struggle with myself to get out of bed or off the couch.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like Niner said, you just don't want it bad enough yet. I know that sounds a little harsh, but no one can tell you how to want to work out. You have to figure out what is more important to you. At some point hopefully exercise is more important than a couple more minutes of sleep. Of course we all get in a slump from time to time, but I don't know anyone who has ever regretted a workout, on the other hand most people regret not working out...
  • mark_finewood
    mark_finewood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I work out I work out for a reason - I have several reasons, i.e. having better cardio health, being stronger so I can lift heavier objects with ease and so I don't feel winded when I take a tall flight of stairs, stronger bones, better bone density, younger looking and tighter skin, better physique, longer and more healthful life, to be a role model to my kids, etc.
    So what you need to do is find your reason for working out. I recommend taking a sheet of paper and writing down your reasons and then hang it where you will see it every day.
  • bzliving
    bzliving Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Put your swimsuit on. That always makes me WANT to be fitter.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Step trackers are great for motivation particularly if you use the web based challenges. It might only be walking rather than anything more extreme but doing 10,000 steps a day takes you out of the sedentary category and the tracker will still work if you decide to jog.

I bought one a few months ago and it has made a big difference for me.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Another tip would be to arrange to go to an exercise class with a friend. You will be more likely to get out of bed if someone is expecting to meet you.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm having same problem as you, OP. I think the way I'm going to tackle it is to find something physical that I want to do, then set a goal based on that. For instance, doing a walk/run for cancer, or playing a game of tennis, or whatever it is you LIKE/LOVE to do. That way, your goal is something fun and/or rewarding to work toward, rather than just "i need to lose weight". Perhaps it just boils down to how we perceive exercise?
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Same issue. Bottom line is I simply don't want to and I am accountable to nobody but me.

Love what jeffpettis said. " don't know anyone who has ever regretted a workout, on the other hand most people regret not working out..." That is so true. I hate the process. But when I actually do it I feel accomplished... Know I have actually done what I committed to do. That is a great feeling. When I don't, I see myself as a total failure!

Thanks for the post. Bookmarking it. Great ideas, motivation and encouragement and I'm sure more to come!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Could it be you don't like the exercises you are choosing?

Maybe think of ways to exercise that would be more enjoyable if that is the case. Take a class, go with a friend, some towns have some sport clubs that may be fun. ( I used to play in a softball league in my old town)
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I feel lazy and loss of motivation to exercise. I have to force myself to go because I know I will ALWAYS feel better after. OR I will take a Yoga class, which is not as intense and relaxes me at the same time, to rejuvenate me! Maybe try something low-key, even if it's just walking around the block for 10 minutes and getting some fresh air! It makes a world of difference. Or put together a fun music playlist to listen to when you run or workout! That gets me going sometimes when I think about listening to my gym music playlist! Make sure you add music that is pop or rock or something that has alot of energy to it! Just do it! Don't think so much!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Baby steps.........make a small (easily obtainable) goal. Then keep yourself accountable to that goal.

Example: I started with a goal of 60 minutes per week (who can't do a measly 60 minutes?)....then I prepared a spreadsheet to track it. Break it up any way you want. 2 x 30, 3 x 20, 4 x 15. You could put stickers on a calendar (hang the calendar in a public place)....whatever forces the issue. When 60 minutes becomes "normal," part of your routine....add more minutes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy. If you dread going out for a run or doing an exercise DVD then find something else. Just go for a long walk, explore an area you haven't seen yet. Play tennis with a friend, ride a bike, go for a swim. It doesn't really matter what you are doing, as long as you are doing something. And doing something you enjoy is always better than doing something you dread.

Keep this in mind, too... you don't need to exercise to lose weight. It's important for overall health and fitness, but weight loss is created from a deficit of calories by eating less than you burn. Whether that deficit comes from choosing to eat less rather than increasing your burn by exercising more is completely up to you.
  • Rob7979
    Rob7979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    good stuff here and a good topic. I will echo the words of others. I find a class and take a friend. talk to the instructor before/after and get to know them. let them know you have a goal to be a "regular " during their class time. they will give great encouragement and love you for being someone they can count on as well.
    my gym moved my favorite class to 5:30am (from 6:00) and the 1/2 hour change has become a hurdle for me. now I'm just going to the weight room a couple times a week and feeling the loss of good abs and endurance.
  • eatcleantarajane
    eatcleantarajane Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You guys are great. So much good motivation. Overall I was having a bad day that day. The next day I got up early and smashed out an exercise DVD then sat and tues went walking with friends.

I think it's ok to have a crappy day. And for me, I need to do things with others. The gym didn't work for me, but walking and running with friends does work. And maybe joining a team sport might work too.

Thanks everyone. I've loved hearing your suggestions.