what would you buy with $20

Options

Replies

• escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    2 cans of beans and big pot of rice so rice and beans will last a few meals and super cheap!
    10lb bag of chicken quarters, cook and then separate into legs/thighs and that can be up to 7 meals even if you ate on of each at dinner.
    Breakfast, big container of oatmeal will go a long way and finally a bag of fruit...like bag of apples or oranges!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i often got rice, rotisserie chicken, canned veggies. and a pizza. popcorn. oatmeal. eggs
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I forgot dried beans. Cheap and healthy.
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    dried beans - $1.50/bag
    grits - $2.50/container - can be used for breakfast or dinner
    bag of carrots - $1
    bag of onions (if cheaper, only buy what you need) - $250
    ham steak - one slice from the deli to throw in with dried beans, onion, carrot for soup - $1?
    ramen noodles - $.50 each
    pound of pasta - $1
    package of amylu chicken sausage (lots of flavor options) - $6 (fry sausage, mix with pasta)

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    $2 a day, for 3 meals per day, for a span of 10 days is not realistic when it comes to having a rational diet.

Suggestion: look into a more reasonable plan.

Maybe not -- but if she really only has $20 (which is entirely possible) isn't it better to TRY to make it at least relatively healthy rather than just eating ramen for the next 10 days straight?

Thank you. Yeah, being dirt poor isn't realistic, but I paid my rent and $20 is literally what I'm left with. Its hard, but I do my best to support myself. :-)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    $2 a day, for 3 meals per day, for a span of 10 days is not realistic when it comes to having a rational diet.

Maybe not -- but if she really only has $20 (which is entirely possible) isn't it better to TRY to make it at least relatively healthy rather than just eating ramen for the next 10 days straight?

Thank you. Yeah, being dirt poor isn't realistic, but I paid my rent and $20 is literally what I'm left with. Its hard, but I do my best to support myself. :-)

Been there trust me. Good for you for trying to stay on track.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    There are some good suggestions above. With that budget I would also look for creative solutions. For example, around our university, some of the churches have free student supper nights, that you can just drop in to. Also, I would consider hitting the local food bank, the $20 would go a lot further if it was just being used for fruit, veg or meat to supplement a basic supply. Beyond that, I would be digging through the cupboard. What's in there? Flour? Sugar? Pasta? If you have a few things in the pantry, you might be able to get creative.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

I just would love to hear sixxpoint your rational suggestion , beside the impossible factor that you seem to be point it out.

You do know that there's people who lives with that budget or less, and find a way to have rational eating habits and I'm one of them.

• karyabc
    Options
    Op I did my groceries today and got

Tuna : 65 cents/can
    Bread: 99 cents
    Chobani yogurt: 1.00
    Chicken legs: 39 cents/lb
    Frozen veggies of all kind : 99 cents
    Eggs winnnn were :1.88/dozen
    Very Large package of quick oatmeal: 2.50, that's going to last me forever
    Rice 10 lbs : I think it was 5.00
    Box of protein granola: 2.99
    Milk: 3.29
    Potatoes 10lbs : 4.00
    Beans: 59 cents/can
    Italian salad dressing : 99 cents
    Cheese mozzarella shredded: 2.50
    PB: I think it was around 3 the jar

Those are the things I remember , like I said I do my list but when I get to the grocery store , I take a look at the weekly specials and work with that.

Good luck.

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

Those 2 things are incredibly cheap compared to where I'm at at least. Eggs are minimum $4 per dozen and Tuna I generally end up paying about $2.29 (i buy the solid white albacore)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Extreme Couponing: MFP Edition

OB-NW052_Kirlew_D_20110511120532.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Membership to a dating site. Get a bunch of guys to buy you dinner.

Kidding. Kind of.

Do you have a kitchen?

Good idea

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Eggs have definitely gotten more expensive these days.

Avian flu out break millions of poultry had to be culled
  • karyabc
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

Those 2 things are incredibly cheap compared to where I'm at at least. Eggs are minimum $4 per dozen and Tuna I generally end up paying about $2.29 (i buy the solid white albacore)

Yeah I know eggs are expensive everywhere, but in Aldi's last week I got them for $ 2.59 the dozen and today found them in a bravo supermarket around the corner of my house for 1.88 :# #EggsForLife

Tuna I just pick whatever is in offer and really can't pay more than 99 cents a can , so if it's at that price, it's going home, if not then I just have to wait for the next week
  • TUsphg8B4zrapVx
    TUsphg8B4zrapVx Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Join a restaurant fan club. A restaurant with lots of locations. One that gives you a freebie when you join.

Go to each location once with your freebie coupon.

You can get over a dozen meals from one membership this way if you play it right.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I agree with this. It's not realistic. That works out to 66 cents a meal. Any chance you could hit a local food bank and use your $20 to fill in the gaps?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    just me... pack of chicken breasts, big bag of frozen veg (or various smaller ones), eggs, rice, pasta, pasta sauce
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'd probably get dried pasta, potatoes, rice, dried beans, bouillon, a can of tomatoes, and get as many bags of frozen vegetables in as much variety as possible.
    I remember being so poor that I had $8 for groceries for two weeks. I bought a large can of tomato sauce, a box of pasta, ramen, and maybe bread and some kind of sugary pb.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

Unfortunately I agree with this. It's not realistic. That works out to 66 cents a meal. Any chance you could hit a local food bank and use your $20 to fill in the gaps?

I agree with too. For example in my local food bank, donations of $1.00 buy 6 pounds of food so those that donate have put a lot of food on the shelves and is dirt cheep.. Also local churches, and other local events are things I would look into where food is given out free..

I have been dirt freakin poor and single before, but if I don't eat, then I get sick and then can't work and pay the bills any way.. I would call my "creditors" and work out something that does not leave me in this situation

Re-evaluating the paychecks and money coming in and going out is a must...
  • karyabc
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

I think many many people have told her, very realistic ideas , including me, that live that reality

Awesome if she could get some items from her local food bank , but words like unrealistic and impossible doesn't apply in op vocabulary when clearly $20.00 it's all she got.

Yes I would very much like to eat and have amazing food like you see in the "show me what your meals look like and what you're having for dinner today" but no ,I get rice, chicken, frozen veggies and oatmeal every single day... You don't seat and cry of how unrealistic life it is, you just do what you have to do.
This discussion has been closed.