• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    She's a waitress. It says in her profile.

Thanks. On my tablet I can't view people's profiles that I'm not friends with.

You don't have to be friends with her. She has an open profile.

There is a glitch on some platforms where when you click a user's profile from the forums it takes you to the home page of MFP, and logs you out in the process.

Also @DeguelloTex

Strange. Perhaps the problem is trying to access a profile using a phone or tablet.

It works just fine on a desktop computer and she is a brand new user with no one currently on her friends list.

As stated earlier, it is a known bug on mobile devices. It's been reported many times, but along with the very long list of other problems, there is no known time frame for a fix for this.

Granted none of this conversation is helping the OP.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Some more information would help:

What did you weigh 1,3,6,9 and 12 months ago ?
    What do you weigh now ?
    Height and age ?

Job and exercise specifics ?

It may just be that the belly fat is the last to come off for you. It is for me.

I do wonder though about your eating routine. One large, fat, calorie filled meal a day forces the body to store all those calories *somewhere* and it sounds like your body has chosen your belly. Then during the day exercise is fueled, but perhaps with a partial pull from other areas. So most of your body tones up faster than your abdomen. If this is the case, as the fat depots are used up outside your abdomen, the body will be forced to draw from the belly.
    • Keep on exercising
    • Keep a small calorie deficit -- say 200 - 250 calories a day (~ 2 lbs a month)
    • Bring your veggies/fruits to work and try to snack through the work day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

There is a glitch on some platforms where when you click a user's profile from the forums it takes you to the home page of MFP, and logs you out in the process.

Also @DeguelloTex

Strange. Perhaps the problem is trying to access a profile using a phone or tablet.

It works just fine on a desktop computer and she is a brand new user with no one currently on her friends list.

Right. Which is why I said that from my tablet, I wasn't able to see her profile, and I was curious what her job was that had her on her feet 13 hours/day.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    could you be pregnant?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'm sure your stomach isn't even that bad. You seem very active and you lost a lot of weight on the job, so your diet is probably not even an issue.

I'd say, you probably don't have time to do much in term of strength training anyway, so not much you can do except making sure you're not eating too much.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Also @DeguelloTex

I can never see anything on my phone, but I can see it on my laptop.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As other's have said, you can't spot reduce
    That does seem to be in general true, but there are hints that pulling fat relatively preferentially from abdominal visceral fat using interval training is possible:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991639/table/tab1/

• JayLeitao
    JayLeitao Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links for the reducing tips. I'd like to repeat as most people keep saying "gaining weight"....I'm NOT >gaining< weight, I'm perfectly healthy, I just have the last little bit of stomach fat that won't seem to shred and I'm wondering if it was down to the amount of carbs that I was getting fed daily at work. As most people have now enlightened me the carbs have nothing to do with it, so that's that mystery solved. Thanks to the helpful posts here MFP community. :)
  • JayLeitao
    JayLeitao Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    Some more information would help:

What did you weigh 1,3,6,9 and 12 months ago ?
    What do you weigh now ?
    Height and age ?

Job and exercise specifics ?

It may just be that the belly fat is the last to come off for you. It is for me.

I do wonder though about your eating routine. One large, fat, calorie filled meal a day forces the body to store all those calories *somewhere* and it sounds like your body has chosen your belly. Then during the day exercise is fueled, but perhaps with a partial pull from other areas. So most of your body tones up faster than your abdomen. If this is the case, as the fat depots are used up outside your abdomen, the body will be forced to draw from the belly.
    • Keep on exercising
    • Keep a small calorie deficit -- say 200 - 250 calories a day (~ 2 lbs a month)
    • Bring your veggies/fruits to work and try to snack through the work day.

Incredibly helpful! I weighed around 63 kilos when I entered this job 6 months ago, I think I'm now around 55? Before that I have no idea. I'm 5'4" and 20 years old.
    I work 13 hour shifts 7 days a week as a waitress, but we have this "on-table" BBQ schemes which are INCREDIBLY heavy to carry, and I must lug about 100 back and forth every day. I also bike four times a day, depending on my speed it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour (vigorous or moderate...usually vigorous on the way and moderate on the way back haha). So I am wholly active and usually only eat once a day these days, if I do snack after work it'll be something simple, like some fruit or a single fat/sugar free yogurt. I count calories in everything I buy, making sure all my products are low in fat and I refuse to eat any unnatural sugar. So the part of my diet that I CAN control is pretty decent. And for example like today, I'm home with the flu, so I ate sushi, veg and snacked on cherry tomatoes and dried banana! I would say I am both as healthy and active as I can be giving how little time I have to myself, it's just the stomach. But it seems that your post has probably hit the nail on the head so thank you so much. :)
  • OliverMol
    OliverMol Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Agree. Ask for a refrigerator. Mae a meal plan. Market this as a hotter waitress to your boss and ask for support.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If I had to worry about soemthing in these meals, it would the frying, and the saturated fats. I cannot see carbs as the problem here. The calories e.g. in a boiled potato would be nowhere close to the calories of the fries.
    If you cannot stand the food, wy not bring your own? it would not be free of course, but it should be an option, no?

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    JayLeitao wrote: »
    I don't think a jar of salad is enough energy for what I'm spending though. I literally can't afford to be exhausted.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You may be at an ideal weight already any you might have to be patient with that little belly. The biking to and from work must be helping.

Sounds about right, the biking is absolutely fabulous for my lower half which I am entirely happy with. My arms are very toned too. It's just the damn stomaach. I want it gone but I don't have the time! : (

I think the suggestion was to add your own greens so you're not subjected to the mood of whoever is feeding you. We're all busy. I have been on duty for almost 48 hours and I'm still managing to keep my priorities at the top. If your tummy is enough of a bother you'll find a way.

I have always read that abs are made in the kitchen. So one can assume the high fat, high carbohydrate lack of vitamins diet is to blame. It very well could even be that you don't even have much fat there but rather bloating from a poor diet lacking proper nutrition. Have you seen photos of starving children? They get a pot belly from all sorts of problems relating to poor nutrition. If you only eat this one meal a day and are as active as it sounds you're under eating by a lot. I know your opportunities are limited but you have to figure something out. I'm sure once you are able to fuel your body properly and get adequate nutrition you'll be in a better place to see some results. Protein/meal replacement shakes? Protein bars? You don't have to do much better to be doing better from where you're at, you know?

There has to be a way to get some Oatmeal or a few apples at least. Keep them on hand. I have made Oatmeal with room temp water and managed to choke it down for lack of options. You'll find a way to make it work.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Yep! I can't look at any profiles from mobile. It's super annoying.
  • BoogiesMom10
    BoogiesMom10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Once I learned calories are more important than carbs my waist started losing inches.

At my job, I am running around constantly and sometimes I dont even get a proper meal in a 12 hour shift. I've taken to making sure I have a protein bar on me for such occasions because they make me feel as if I've eaten a full meal and it seems as if they give me a boost to finish out the day as well. So, maybe instead of a salad, eat half the burger, skip the fries, and eat a protein bar or something to the like with it
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I had to worry about soemthing in these meals, it would the frying, and the saturated fats. I cannot see carbs as the problem here. The calories e.g. in a boiled potato would be nowhere close to the calories of the fries.
    If you cannot stand the food, wy not bring your own? it would not be free of course, but it should be an option, no?

Why? Are you under the impression that saturated fat is "evil"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why? Are you under the impression that saturated fat is "evil"?

One need not think sat fat is "evil" to realize that advice about healthful eating suggests that you should limit it (while still including it in your diet if you like). Here's a reasonable discussion: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-fats/#deep-frying
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately with my current lifestyle I live at work. I don't actually even have time to go to the supermarket. I know that sounds ridiculous and is mostly unfathomable but I start work before supermarkets open and don't finish early enough before they close. Besides the fact that there is too much time wasted in preparing even a sandwich because I literally live on a minute to minute schedule, it's why I only have time to ham one meal down. If I cut out the fries and bun I'm literally eating a burger patty to sustain me for 13 hours of unbearable active work, I'll starve. And I'm not gaining weight, I just have a bit of stubborn fat I can't seem to shred, the rest of me is tiny. I see "you are likely not eating enough" every single day...I don't sit down for 13 hours and I bike 4 times a day, for a total of two hours of biking, to and fro work. I've lost ridiculous amounts of weight since starting this job but it's just that bit of stomach!! Seems that I'm hating on carbs for no reason so let's change the angle - best way to get rid of that tiny bit with virtually no time to spare??

There are no 24 hr stores near you? you can buy premade salads take them to work and just have the burger with the salad you can also bring fruit and veggies with you again all premade at the store, so it's ready to eat. Maybe get some of the other employees to also ask for a healthier option, if more than one person asks than maybe your boss will listen. If you keep going like this, you will burn out. Best of luck to you.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just saw where you live, ask, tell your boss you need at least on day where you can leave early to go shopping. Seeing that you are helping cause 50% of the staff has left.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Fair enough, I can definitely say I'm NOT eating too many calories though. I usually never hit over 1000 and my activity levels are high. The rest of me is toned but it's just the belly. It's just the one meal a day and I'm constantly active so I had the carbs pegged as the issue. Clearly I AM misunderstanding but then how the hell is it I have some excess stomach when I eat once a day and am active constantly?

And
    What kind of job is this? I thought it was illegal in the US to make a person work for 13 hours with just one break.

I'm guessing you live in a rural area? I don't think I would survive in an area without 24-hour grocery stores!

I live in a little village in a random part of Spain ha, and I'm basically being helpful seeming as how 50% of the staff quit and we can't find anyone else!

How are you arriving at the 1000 calorie figure? All the meals you listed in your OP could all easily be 1000+ meals by themselves.
  • silverspring47
    silverspring47 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Balance it with other meals. Pay attn to ENTIRE day. Bring veg if u can. Sometimes I eat too much fat, so I balance it out by eating carbs and my proper protein.
    I am NOT dieting. I am NOT doing low carb. It had been soooooo strange to eat so many carbs and be okay with it! I follow the food guide. 50% carb, 20% protein, 30% fat. I have 6-7 whole grains, 2 milk/alternative, 2 protein/alternative, 7-8 fruit n veg. 2-3 tbsp fat/oil ... It's simple. And I focus a LOT on MFP pie chart for nutrition (macro) ... My job is also on my feet, go go go. (I am a server. Sounds like you might be too)...extra carbs help provide energy. My weight has been steadily declining!! And I barely have to think about it. Every day gets easier to plan.
    Friend me!!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ab workouts are for strenghtening abs, not melting fat. You can have awesome abs, under a layer of fat

Yep.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MO7fkZc5o