What to eat with a poached egg?

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
Poached eggs and/or soft boiled eggs are so super yum and I love them. This past summer I have been eating them over roasted asparagus and using the runny yolks as a yummy sauce. However, asparagus in the stores near me is starting to dwindle and look a little rough, so I need some new ideas.

I was thinking of eating them over some steamed broccoli. But, I would like some new ideas that would create a filling meal. So give me your ideas!

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Any vegetable is tasty with poached eggs. I like to have a veggie (lettuce, cabbage, okra, broccoli, carrots, etc.) with them and toast. It fills me up nicely.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have eaten this meal twice - a 4oz ground sirloin burger (formed myself) topped with a sunny-side up soft, a slice of Havarti cheese, and some roasted green chilis. The sunny-side-up egg could easily be replaced with a poached egg. Mmmmm.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Take a roasted sweet potato, fill with spicy Carolina pulled pork (or spicy sausage), top with a poached egg.

Ham and poached eggs are good.

Poach an egg in congee, or savory porridge.

ETA: forgot. Best use of a poached egg was on a pizza I had in France last year. Freaking amazing.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I cook a couple of pieces of bacon and then sauté some fresh spinach in a teaspoon of the bacon grease. I poach an egg and placed it over the spinach and sprinkle some of the broken up pieces of the bacon on top. Yummy!!!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine on a halved slice of baguette with turkey breast :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great ideas everyone! Thanks!

Does anyone know if eggs would be good over some cheesy bacon grits?
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Poached eggs and/or soft boiled eggs are so super yum and I love them. This past summer I have been eating them over roasted asparagus and using the runny yolks as a yummy sauce. However, asparagus in the stores near me is starting to dwindle and look a little rough, so I need some new ideas.

I was thinking of eating them over some steamed broccoli. But, I would like some new ideas that would create a filling meal. So give me your ideas!

Bacon, 97% meat sausages and half an avocado
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a poached egg on top of a half English muffin
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I bake eggs in avocados and portabello mushroom caps. You could poach the egg separately and put it on these things once the veggie is cooked too.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

this plus a little spinach
  • jennbush729
    jennbush729 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love to get some cooked spaghetti squash and make a sesame-soy-miso sauce (little sesame oil, bit of soy sauce, miso paste, maybe even a little PB whisked together) and put a poached egg over the "noodles". So good and adds protein!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Great ideas everyone! Thanks!

Does anyone know if eggs would be good over some cheesy bacon grits?
    It only sounds like heaven, so I bet it is delicious!

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like mine with some really good toasted bread.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    okay, now you've done it! Now all I want is cheesy bacon grits with poached egg!

But I love them on sauteed spinach.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I do this with the addition of a slice of deli ham and a wedge of laughing cow cheese.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I like putting poached eggs over cubed, baked sweet potatoes.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Super good on grits!

Also great on a hash of potato, Brussels sprouts, and maybe a little bacon/ham! Perfect time for Brussels.
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is a quarter of an avocado mashed with a poached egg served on a piece of toast.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a poached egg on top of some baked salmon for dinner tonight.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The grits sound delicious. I actually tear up baby spinach and wilt it right into my grits - almost half and half. It's delicious. Mix in some spreadable cheese (like laughing cow), top with sautéed mushroom, a poached egg, and a little bit of sliced scallion and optional hot sauce. Mmmmm!