High Blood Pressure and Weight Loss

Options
Recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and I would love to hear and "friend" some individuals who have cured themselves through diet and exercise. Thank you

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The "cure" didn't happen for me. In fact, I developed chronic hypertension AFTER I lost sixty pounds and was exercising five days a week. Go figure. I was resistant to going on medication, so I tried everything. Juicing, garlic, niacin, chiropractic, massage, yoga, fasting, more alternatives than I could name. My pressure remained dangerously high until I got on a good medication regimen.

Good luck!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure meds have been reduced to half after just 22 lbs. Had a doctor appointment today and he said in 3 months he may take me off them totally and use on an as need basis.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I didn't have high blood pressure, but I was close enough that the doctor said I was getting there. I'm now about 110/65.
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The "cure" didn't happen for me. In fact, I developed chronic hypertension AFTER I lost sixty pounds and was exercising five days a week. Go figure. I was resistant to going on medication, so I tried everything. Juicing, garlic, niacin, chiropractic, massage, yoga, fasting, more alternatives than I could name. My pressure remained dangerously high until I got on a good medication regimen.

Good luck!

Oh no!! That is truly scary to me.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I'm hypertensive and see a cardiologist regularly. He took me off added sugar and caffeine and has me severely restrict sodium while eating more potassium and magnesium rich foods. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    I didn't have high blood pressure, but I was close enough that the doctor said I was getting there. I'm now about 110/65.

My doctor wanted me to wait to be on meds because he believed I could manage it with diet and exercise...the main reason I'm on it is because my anxiety would cause it spike and I have no control over it.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    I'm hypertensive and see a cardiologist regularly. He took me off added sugar and caffeine and has me severely restrict sodium while eating more potassium and magnesium rich foods. Feel free to add me if you like.

Will do thanks!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

What works for one may not work for others. Increasing potassium drastically while decreasing sodium drastically, can actually be dangerous if not under a doctor supervision.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure went down as I lost weight so I negotiated off all my meds. I knew it was time because I started to experience dizzy spells. Had to take care standing up. I promised my doctor to keep taking my blood pressure weekly and I still do.

I saw the biggest change after losing my first thirty pounds.

If yours is hereditary you may need meds anyways. Meds aren't that bad and they may extend your life by decades.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure. I lost weight, cut out salt and eat pretty clean. I was hoping I would not need meds but turns out mine is hereditary and I can't get off them. But @jgnatca mentioned, the meds aren't that big of a deal and very inexpensive. Good luck to you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mine has dropped considerably from diet and exercise. Go get it!
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Mine has dropped considerably from diet and exercise. Go get it!

Yes! Good news!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    As a stroke survivor, I take my blood pressure seriously. After losing about 25 pounds my Lisinopril dosage was cut in half. I have continued to lose and my pressures are on the low side now but I am not experiencing dizziness or fatigue like when my dosage was cut before. I am still obese and am hoping that when I get to healthy weight, I will be able to do without the medication. My 83 year old mother was able to go with a low dose every other day years ago with diet and exercise.
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've never dealt with high blood pressure but my husband has been able to come off all his medications since losing weight. He had previously been on blood pressure meds for years (just like his entire family), and after the first 40ish lbs they cut his dosage in half. At his last appointment (after he had reached his goal of 90 lbs lost) they took him completely off and his bp has stayed well within the normal range since. You can do it!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've been on meds for my high blood pressure for about 2 years now i tried coming off them but had to go back on after a month.

For the pay year I've been weight training and running alittle more then 5 miles a day. I've come down from 248lbs to 180 lbs. When I check my BP now it's never higher then 102 over 64 sometimes it's 88 over 160. I am going to make a Doctors appointment to get off these meds again.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    PennyHartz wrote: »
    I've never dealt with high blood pressure but my husband has been able to come off all his medications since losing weight. He had previously been on blood pressure meds for years (just like his entire family), and after the first 40ish lbs they cut his dosage in half. At his last appointment (after he had reached his goal of 90 lbs lost) they took him completely off and his bp has stayed well within the normal range since. You can do it!

Thank you! Praying I will
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    I've been on meds for my high blood pressure for about 2 years now i tried coming off them but had to go back on after a month.

For the pay year I've been weight training and running alittle more then 5 miles a day. I've come down from 248lbs to 180 lbs. When I check my BP now it's never higher then 102 over 64 sometimes it's 88 over 160. I am going to make a Doctors appointment to get off these meds again.

88 over 160...isn't the bottom number ridiculously high?!
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    As a stroke survivor, I take my blood pressure seriously. After losing about 25 pounds my Lisinopril dosage was cut in half. I have continued to lose and my pressures are on the low side now but I am not experiencing dizziness or fatigue like when my dosage was cut before. I am still obese and am hoping that when I get to healthy weight, I will be able to do without the medication. My 83 year old mother was able to go with a low dose every other day years ago with diet and exercise.

In feel like such a failure my grandmother is 91 and in a lower dose than me...all because I won't get up an lose this weight...so sad but I plan to lose it now and become a success story
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Typo it's 88 over 60
  • SylviaCherie
    Options

Typo it's 88 over 60

Phew! Okay lol