counting calories - I need to make a difference!

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site and also new to counting calories. I've tried no or low carb diets and I'm a lifetime member with Weight Watchers so I know how to count points, but I don't know how to count calories. The problem I'm having is I don't know how many calories something has until I've eaten it and add it to my food diary on line. Unfortunately, I'm getting surprised more often than not. I'm quite desparate to lose 30 pounds as I've been exercising diligently for 5 months and trying to watch my diet with only a 7 pound weight loss to date. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Why can't you figure out the calories before you make or eat something? Most things are on here and unless I am at a restaraunt or something I can generally figure out the calroes beforehand.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Look it up before you eat it.
  • angie0525
    angie0525 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yah, I guess you guys are right. I suppose it'll take a little more planning. I suppose this is exactly why weight loss is an issue for me huh??
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Look it up before you eat it.

Exactly. Start planning ahead and mapping out your day. An occasional surprise is something you can overcome, but on a daily basis it is best to plan ahead.
  • angie0525
    angie0525 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think that it's pretty clear that I need to plan. I've got the excercise part of my life together, but the diet is definitely the hard part for me.
  • twimom03
    twimom03 Posts: 19
    Options
    First thing in the morning, plan out your day. I find it easier and I'm less likely to pick on things here and there since I already inputed my days worth of food. The great thing is that you can always change, add, or delete an entry. I don't complete my food journal until the end of the day that way I can make any changes, add my water, and exercise for the day. This is a great way to keep track of your calories since you will know before hand if it will into your days worth of calories, or maybe you will find out that there are too many calories in the food and you will decide not to eat it. It is like a puzzle, so you get to play around with your food journal and add your days worth of food to fit your nutritional needs and allotted calories.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yah, I guess you guys are right. I suppose it'll take a little more planning. I suppose this is exactly why weight loss is an issue for me huh??

WIth this site and weight loss in general its a life style change not a diet plan. The first couple of weeks may be difficult since you have to look things up before eating them. But gaining this knowledge will help you make smarter decision after that, you will change how you cook and grocery shop, where and how often you eat out.

A big thing to me is not depriving yourself. If you crave it learn a proper serving and eat it. If you have to do an extra workout to work off the calories do it, because then you LEARN more about the consequences of our choices but depriving yourself leads to binging
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think that it's pretty clear that I need to plan. I've got the excercise part of my life together, but the diet is definitely the hard part for me.

Me too, that is why I am back to this site. I need to pay attention because I like to eat. This makes me focus on how much and *what* I am really putting into my body. I work out so hard, I want the results to show!
  • rlelliott08
    rlelliott08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Look at the labels on the food, it has all that info on the label. Or if you are going out to eat, say to Zaxby's go on to there website, it has all the nutritioal info right on there website. And last but not least like the ladies said before me, look it up on here, most of everything you eat is on here, unless you make something from scratch but if that being the case use the recipe tool to figure it out.
  • rlelliott08
    rlelliott08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Stephaneggs
    Stephaneggs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you can also just read the labels before you make something and count it so you know where you stand. Pretty soon, you will know what is what and how much things are and it will get easier. Good luck!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. I know in an ideal situation you should be able to "plan" your calories but its not always possible.

What I would do is give yourself two weeks in learning how many calories are in things, get used to logging the food you are eating and take note on how many calories each thing is. Take a look at portion size and see if you can make adjustments. Like WW Points it wont take long before you can become a calories bore and know pretty much how many calories are in stuff.

I would invest in a pair of weighing scales for food. As in the beginning I found my portion sizes were way too big.

If you have a smart phone then get the app of this. Helps to log cals on the go.

Good luck and if in doubt just shout!!
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? MFP has apps for Android, Iphone and Blackberry. I even have an additional Fast Food App on my Iphone. Remember this is a lifestyle change. MFP really woke me up to my bad habits, before you know it you will be checking before you eat. I am a WW lifetimer too, I enjoy MFP a lot more than WW, I feel it has corrected my bad habits which did not get corrected with WW. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me if you need a friend! :flowerforyou:
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    Posted twice for some reason!
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plan what you will eat for the day before it starts. Look at an online menu for the restaurant before heading out. There is a great app called Restaurant Nutrition by Unified Lifestyle that has most chains. Then I enter it in MFP if the item I chose is not already here.

If I wind up at restaurant I hadn't planned, I look for items marked as lighter fare. If restaurant is not marked then you need to be smart about it. Try to choose 3oz protein with vegetables. Tricky part is staying away from loads of carbs that comes in a breadbasket or fried tortilla chips.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I personally do not do this, but I have friends on here that plan their entire day's meals out the night before and stick it in their food diaries. It really helps them stay on track and keeps them from sneaking anything extra in they shouldn't. It seems to be working because they are all loosing weight that way! I try to figure out a game plan for the day and stick to it, and if I am going out to eat I will look up food before I go and avoid any unplanned meals out as I don't have a smartphone so I can't look it up on the go and I don't like the calorie surprises either.
    Good luck to you, and i hope you can find something that helps you!