Screwed up how do I fix it?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Trying to fix it after the fact is a short path to dysfunction. Forgive yourself and start each new day afresh. You won't forget this experience so have a plan for the next time. I haven't been in a Red Robins in three years.

Other times I might split the burger in half and just eat half.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Went to Red Robin for the very first time a few weeks ago, so I can totally understand how easy it is to go over your calorie goal. Split an order of onion rings, had a big juicy burger with a side of slaw, and snuck a few fries off my companion's plate. Heaven! 400+ calories over for the day, cut back slightly for the next 4 days, and still lost a pound that week! Had I known ahead of time, I would have saved up some calories, but it didn't work out that way, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, don't regret it, and got right back on my plan.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    400 calories in nothing. It takes 3,500 calories over maintenance to gain 1 pound of fat.
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Went to Red Robin for the very first time a few weeks ago, so I can totally understand how easy it is to go over your calorie goal. Split an order of onion rings, had a big juicy burger with a side of slaw, and snuck a few fries off my companion's plate. Heaven! 400+ calories over for the day, cut back slightly for the next 4 days, and still lost a pound that week! Had I known ahead of time, I would have saved up some calories, but it didn't work out that way, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, don't regret it, and got right back on my plan.

Totally agree. You don't eat there/like that on a daily basis. Hope you enjoyed every last bite. Log it, forget it & get back to your reguler routine tomorrow :)
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As posted already...log it and move onward. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Nothing to worry about at all. If you're losing 0.5 pounds per week, that's a 250 deficit... so, less than a day of maintenance at worst? If your goal is a pound/week or more, you're still at a deficit.

I go over occasionally by 1,000, and... meh. I'm two pounds away from my goal, so occasional indulgence has perhaps slowed, but definitely not stopped, my loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    jswede1149 wrote: »
    I would be more concerned why you ate knowing you would go over your calories and did not care. I am not judging you. It is just we can head backwards if we do not look at what got us to the need to lose in the first place. I went over 900 calories the other day because I did not realize my lack of exercise would drop my allowed calories so much. I know better now.

What's the matter with one meal putting you over your calories now and then? Indulging once in a while is not a slippery slope down into hell.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    400? Holler back when you hit a couple thousand.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    karenrn799 wrote: »
    Maybe I will go walking ! That might help

400 is not the end of the world.

But yes, go for a nice long brisk walk. Add some stairs if you find them along the way.

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I had five guys tonight. Went over 300 calories. Have a fun evening with my man, enjoyed a yummy meal. Sometimes you go over, life happens. And being over 400 might not even be enough to put you in maintenance.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always drink lots of water like at least 80 ounces the day after overeating. It seems to help me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    400 cals wouldn't even put you over your maintenance I bet. Go for a walk, log it and forget it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    400 calories...can you even fix it? Yes. That's nothing. Or just move on.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed you could eat at RR and go only 400 over. You could make this up by omitting one slice of bread gor the next 3-4 days. It's that easy but not really anything to worry about.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You log it, and you move on. Resume your normal schedule tomorrow.

This

Ok, so you ate at a restaurant? That's LIFE! :)
    Log it & continue as you were. No big deal.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You had a great trashy meal out? Fantastic! Enjoy the happy greasy memories.

And loosen up. As others have said, 400 over is not a big deal. If you are aiming at 1lb/week, then you have a 500/day deficit, so going over by 400 doesn't even get you to maintenance - so you were still losing weight, just more slowly. If you're going for 1/2lb/week, yes you went over maintenance, but not by much.

Let it go. Weight loss is a long game. One day is nothing in the scheme of things. And I agree with others that making penances after the fact is not particularly healthy - at least, it isn't for me. Trying to "pay back" calories is the number 1 quickest way to make me give up logging altogether. Far better to draw a line under it and move on.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There are alot of people that are terrorized about going to restaurants for this reason. It's unavoidable so next time have a plan. Look up their meals and calorie count ahead of time and pick something that will fit into your day. Eat half and take the rest home for the next day. Eat very lightly--veg soup, for instance--the rest of the day. Exercise alot more that day, or just splurge, enjoy, and start off anew the next day. These are pretty much the options. Pick the one you like best and go. There are people that need to eat out all the time and they have to work this out---it's not easy. Best. B)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm in the log it and move on crowd. And another way to say that is you can't change the past so make the next right choice.