Want to Start Weights

Options
I want to start lifting weights but I can't find a program/schedule/etc that focuses on one area of the body per workout. I've mostly been looking on pinterest, but I wonder if anyone has workouts that they love and wouldn't mind sharing.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Why a bodypart split workout? That's more for advanced lifters, especially bodybuilders. Newbies almost always do better on a full-body workout, or at most, an upper/lower split.

By the way, Pinterest might be fun, but i rarely see reputable fitness info there. ;)
  • supadux
    supadux Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The general consensus for strength training is to split excercise into 3 main groups: legs, push and pull.

Big , compound movements are best overall eg: squats, deadlifts, rows, pull ups, overhead press, dips, bench press etc unless you're doing sport of rehab specific movements on top of these.

If I wrote a program for you it'd look like this:

Monday: deadlifts, squats
    Tuesday: overhead press, dips, bench
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: pendlay rows, pull ups, upright row.
    Friday: deadlifts, squats.
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: off

Rep range would be 4 sets of 6 but may differ depending on your goals and you would aim to increase the weight of your lower body excercises by 5kg each session and upper body excercises by 2.5kg.

Keeping a log of what you lifted and how many reps is a great way to track your progress too, but if you're new to weight work you should research form videos for excercises and maybe run through some of the excercises with a PT.

I hope this all helps.
  • Uhmanduh
    Uhmanduh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Why a bodypart split workout? That's more for advanced lifters, especially bodybuilders. Newbies almost always do better on a full-body workout, or at most, an upper/lower split.

By the way, Pinterest might be fun, but i rarely see reputable fitness info there. ;)

Upper lower split is what I mean and as far as Pinterest that's why I'm asking on here
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    supadux wrote: »
    The general consensus for strength training is to split excercise into 3 main groups: legs, push and pull.

Big , compound movements are best overall eg: squats, deadlifts, rows, pull ups, overhead press, dips, bench press etc unless you're doing sport of rehab specific movements on top of these.

All push no pull on Tues, all pull no push on Thurs. I wouldn't recommend that. An upper/lower split should have push and pull on the same day, especially for a novice.
    For a new lifter, I'd recommend full body 2 or 3x a week.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner, why not do a full body workout? I skipped beginners programs and regret it. Now I'm doing SL 5x5 and think it's a great program. 3x per week, totally efficient.
  • supadux
    supadux Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    supadux wrote: »

All push no pull on Tues, all pull no push on Thurs. I wouldn't recommend that. An upper/lower split should have push and pull on the same day, especially for a novice.
    For a new lifter, I'd recommend full body 2 or 3x a week.

Yeah you've got a point there, if OP is a total newbie to weights a simple program with one each of push, pull and legs should do for a little while.

Nothing at all wrong with having push and pull only days though , especially if the excercises are varied and the volume is enough.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women; Stronglifts 5x5; Starting Strength; Ice Cream Fitness (among many) are all excellent full-body programs. If you've never lifted heavy before, you're weak all over -- do a full-body program at first, and move on to bro splits later.