Days off are rough, anyone else?

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I do IF, where I try not to eat until like 3-4pm, then I eat my calories in 2 large meals/snacks. The days that I work 6-4pm, this is easy. At work I'm moving around and hanging out with friends and I barely think about food.
On days off, I'm usually at my pc, enjoying my free time, but my mind starts to slightly obsess about the next meals, and at the end of the day, I'm usually over my goal by a bit.
Anyone else have this issue, and have found ways to deal? It's not a huge thing, and I'm still losing weight but, thought it was worth sharing.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get off your computer and move.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - when I'm not at work I can do things I enjoy and take my mind off food, whether that's playing video games or going out and doing something. At work I'm sitting bored at my desk all day constantly thinking about when I next get to eat. All I can say is to find something to do in your free time that distracts you.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue. Most of the time my meals are spread out during the day. If you don't eat until 3 PM, I bet you are thinking about food. Maybe smaller meals more often when you're off.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm learning how to deal with that issue right now as well. I think it's the lack of structured activity that throws us. At work we're focused and there are structured routine things that get done every day. Work days are about work. Weekends are much more open, and consequently relaxing too lol, but they lack that focus. I think maybe working more on getting out of house might help. If I'm out doing something I find I dont think about food nearly as often. But when I'm sitting at home I get restless and bored.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Do you drink more water on your work days than on your off days? I personally do, which effects how hungry I think I am. Also, if everything is pretty similar, I'd try to busy yourself more on your off days to keep you occupied. You can run errands, take care of stuff around the house, pick up a new hobby or an old one that has been neglected, etc.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work, I have absolutely no issue staying on track because I am not near any temptation!
    Weekends when I'm out with friends/family are a challenge, I definitely see your point! I think it'll probably help you to have a little of what you love in moderation and plan your work-out days to take place on your day's off! That should be a great motivator to stop you over-eating - especially after working so hard on your exercise! :]
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am the same way... I "forget" to eat lunch at work. But, at home all day, I want to eat eveeerythingggg.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love weekends and days off work.

I can spend the whole afternoon exercising. Sometimes the whole day. And then I can eat whatever I want. :grin:

I spend 5 days a week cooped up in an office ... come the weekend, and I'm outside. Usually hiking or cycling long distances, but sometimes doing other sports.

My suggestion ... get outside and do something active. :)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Some great advice here..I need to find ways to counter 20+ years of homebody hobbies, haha.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no advice, but will say that IF would set me up for what you're experiencing. Eating the same amount every day at regular meal times = none of those issues.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's the opposite for me, when I'm off work I can go for 2 hour long walks, have a run, hike, go bowling or swimming.
    You need to find active ways to enjoy yourself.
    Plus my days off I have to go food shopping, do the garden, catch up with people. I never get time to stop as I work 42 hours a week.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Some great advice here..I need to find ways to counter 20+ years of homebody hobbies, haha.
    Being a homebody is fine. I am. I love video games, board games, reading, guitar, stuff I can all do at home. My remedy was to enroll in a gym. If I feel really bored, or just can't sleep, I go and do cardio. I usually go twice a day, 30 minutes each time.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do IF, where I try not to eat until like 3-4pm, then I eat my calories in 2 large meals/snacks. The days that I work 6-4pm, this is easy. At work I'm moving around and hanging out with friends and I barely think about food.
    On days off, I'm usually at my pc, enjoying my free time, but my mind starts to slightly obsess about the next meals, and at the end of the day, I'm usually over my goal by a bit.
    Anyone else have this issue, and have found ways to deal? It's not a huge thing, and I'm still losing weight but, thought it was worth sharing.

I hear you, on the weekend at home it's challenging not to grab a bunch of salty goodness out of the pantry and some beers and hang out. Very challenging. I try to think about the long game vs. the short game and try to enjoy everything in moderation. I've been doing 18:6 SOLID during the week....on the weekend I need to make bacon and eggs for the fam which is a pain in the *kitten* as I love bacon and eggs,,,,so going until 3 or 4 PM is difficult. I just drink water like a mad man, black coffee, and try to stay focused on the objective, stay motivated!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Slowly change your habits to things that are more likely to lead to NOT sitting at a computer. It won't happen overnight, but start slowly and then 5 years from now you'll look back and be amazed at how sedentary you were and how you'll never go back to that.

I used to play video games, knit, paint... And All kinds of sedentary things to do while watching Netflix. But watching Netflix for 5 hours every night was a choice I made. For the sake of my health, I started making different choices slowly. Now it's more like 2 hours once a week.

Slow gradual shifts towards conscious choices to be less sedentary:)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nope. Opposite. When I'm home I find it easier to put off eating. When I'm at work, I need to eat. I am more hungry.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's because you're bored when you're home, and you know you have the time to make a nice meal. You don't have the option at work, and even if you did you wouldn't be able to enjoy it since it's work. You're exactly like me.

My advice is to just find a more engrossing hobby, that's the only thing that works for me. And if you're not doing any exercise, definitely start a routine.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Like others, I am the opposite. So much easier for me to eat well during the weekend and be more active. My office has way too many food temptations everywhere.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I am another person with the opposite problem. All week long I'm stuck at a desk, surrounded by donuts, kolaches, coworkers' birthday cakes, etc. with little to no opportunity for exercise. On the weekends, my time is my own and I like to MOVE!
  • Marinemomm
    Marinemomm Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with you..I'm the same... it's like I have a routine when I work then days off I'm screwed... so I guess I need a routine for those days !! Hang in there... we are learning
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am more likely to eat at calorie deficit on the weekends than I am when I am at work.
    I do IF both at home and at work -- first meal is at 6:00 pm seven days a week.
    Perhaps the weekend days need some structure to them -- just a thought.
    Mostly, if you tend to over eat on the weekends by a little bit, then plan for it by cutting a little bit during the week. :) The calorie deficit will average out over the course of 7 days.