Science explaining how what you eat for Breakfast influences appetite control

Options
I found a very interesting NYTimes "Well" column this morning that explains why I feel better/more energy/less hungry when I eat oatmeal without sugar for breakfast. The column includes links to the scientific studies.

The column explains why oatmeal is more nutritious and provides more satiety (which helps me stay under my daily weight loss calorie goal) than processed cereals like cheerios or special K or whatever.

The column explains how oatmeal and processed oatmeal cereals (like Cheerios) are both are made from whole oats, but the difference comes down to processing. The article explains that "Unprocessed whole oats, like those in steel-cut oatmeal, take a while for the body to digest."

The article quotes a scientist at Tufts, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, who explains that with Cheerios and other processed cereals, “you basically have rapidly digested sugar mixed with bran and germ ....“It provides fiber and minerals, but also digests in the mouth almost immediately.”

The conclusions: the processed cereals gives you a quick spike in blood sugar, but no energy for later. This is supported by a 2013 study (link given in column) which found that people who ate oatmeal felt fuller and had better appetite control than those who ate the same number of calories of processed cereal.

My favorite breakfast for staying within my calorie macro: 1/4 cup oatmeal mixed with a serving protein powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, with some cinnamon. I put mine in the fridge. Tastes delicious (kind of like rice pudding) and keeps me full til lunch time.

Replies

• pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    that does sound good. thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I read a similar article recently, probably based off the same study. You may want to provide a link for those who want to read the full article.