CARBS?!

Options

Replies

• heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. I am not a fan of any diet plan that says "you can't have x,y, or z." Now, at dinner, I would much rather have a big plate of spaghetti squash with meat sauce than a tiny plate of pasta with meat sauce... But not because of carbs- because I want more food for less calories!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    boydljodi wrote: »
    Carbs cut them completely or are the okay in moderation. Iv had a LOT of people say they lost so much by just ditching the carbs. Whats your opinion?
    What? No! And give up potatoes (sweet or white), beans, mangoes, bananas, grapes, papaya, berries, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat, bread (incl white), orange marmalade (for the bread) lentils, sugar (for all my beverages), zucchini, pumpkin, and lots of other starchy foods and sweet fruits? These are all nearly 75%+ carbs if not more. This is what I've been eating for months now in addition to veggies and I'm down to 125 lbs. It's easier for me to give up fatty food than all this good stuff.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The only reason to cut carbs is if you have a doctor diagnosed reason for doing so. Carbs are not evil. They don't carry around pitchforks that stab your insides to hold onto fat. I haven't cut any carbs and lost 48 lbs. Now, my husband has T2 diabetes, so he has to eat less carbs, but that's the only reason. Otherwise, he'd never have cut his!

TL;DR: If your doctor tells you that you have a medical reason that you need to lower or cut out carbs, listen to them. Otherwise, you're fine. Just eat less of EVERYTHING to lose weight and you'll succeed.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Carbs cut them completely or are the okay in moderation. Iv had a LOT of people say they lost so much by just ditching the carbs. Whats your opinion?

I aim for around 100g per day, no added sugar - keeps me feeling full and don't have any cravings

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What are they really all bread and baked items?

Seriously, there is no reason to cut out anything. The only requirement for weight loss is a caloric deficit. I believe in carrying on as you plan to continue. All things in moderation.

^^ that.... all day long....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    The only reason to cut carbs is if you have a doctor diagnosed reason for doing so. Carbs are not evil. They don't carry around pitchforks that stab your insides to hold onto fat. I haven't cut any carbs and lost 48 lbs. Now, my husband has T2 diabetes, so he has to eat less carbs, but that's the only reason. Otherwise, he'd never have cut his!

TL;DR: If your doctor tells you that you have a medical reason that you need to lower or cut out carbs, listen to them. Otherwise, you're fine. Just eat less of EVERYTHING to lose weight and you'll succeed.

There's always personal preference, and preserving future health.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I would just aim for lower carbs 15-25% atleast
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Reducing baked goods and foods with added sugars reduced my desire to snack, which makes it easier for me to stay in a calorie deficit. I'm eating more fruit, which satisfies my sweet tooth for way less calories.
  • pburrus
    pburrus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    alt5057 wrote: »
    I find that I feel better when I eat less carbs. For the most part, I cut out pastas and breads, but I will still plan to eat them on occasion. But it might only be one night of pasta in one-two weeks instead of 3 nights a week. If I am eating bread, I try to get a bakery-fresh bread that makes it feel like it is worth the calories. I wouldn't want to waste them on a boring sandwich bread!

When I eat bread or pasta, I try to eat whole grain. Much better for you.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I LOVE me some carbs. Especially the cheesecake kind!
    a1g7enshwmpj.jpeg

Is this the cheesecake factory oreo cookie cheesecake? someone at work gave me a slice and after i ate it i looked it up and found out it was over 1300 calories!! :s
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT the enemy! :]

When I was overweight, people suggested cutting out my carbs which to me, was totally unrealistic. I have lost 30lbs in 5 months and a good 60% of my daily calories are carbs - I enjoy every second of it.
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    grg243 wrote: »
    I've lost 30 lbs by ditching bad carbs. Only 10 more to go!

Don't ditch all carbs, just cut back on fast carbs. Veggies, legumes (beans), nuts and some fruits (like strawberries) are slow carbs that are great for weight loss. Just skip on the pasta, bread and anything with refined sugar in it.

It sounds a lot harder than it really is. The less you have the fast carbs, the less you crave them. At least, that's what happened with me and my hubby. So just stick with it for at least 2 weeks before giving up.

Also, cheat meals are fine, as long as they're in moderation. My ideal cheat meal is a 6" subway sub. Ahhhhh, bread. The greatest of the fast carbs! Hahaha. But really, going balls to the wall with cheat meals is a great way to get off track. Just remember, even cheat meals should stay within your calorie goal!

To help with the initial cravings, buy some apples and peanut butter for when you absolutely MUST have something sweet. It won't taste like that chocolate cake you're craving, but you'll feel better after eating it instead of ashamed/defeated.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I'd say try reducing carbs and see if you like it. If not, then don't.

A calories deficit, personal preference and adherence gets you the distance however you choose to go about it.

Be happy ;)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bottom line - the lower your carbs the healthier you'll be.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

Lol
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the body's preferred fuel source. The reason that people lose weight rapidly when greatly reducing carbs in their diet is because each gram of stored carbohydrates results in about three grams worth of water stored along with it. Deplete the stored carbs, reduce the stored water ... a loss of water weight rather than fat. For the body to tap into stored fats requires a caloric deficit. If that is done through a low carb diet ... high carb ... something in the middle ... is a personal choice that depends on what that person can sustain through loss and into maintenance.

Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

So, avoiding fruits and vegetables results in greater health? That is what you're advocating with that post.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Unless a doctor has told you not to eat carbs (due to a metabolic condition), you need carbs, especially if you exercise. I ate low carb for 6 months because of all the hype. I had no energy and was always hungry. So I switched back to high carb and feel great again. My weight stayed exactly the same high carb and low carb. The reason people often lose weight when they eat low carb is that a) they lose water weight and b) their carb restriction results in lower calories. Carbs don't make you gain weight, excess calories do. If you like carbs, you should eat them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »

There's always personal preference, and preserving future health.

Personal preference is fine, what I have issue with is the people that INSIST that lowering carbs is the ONLY real reason that people can lose weight or add muscle or insert-health-benefit-here. Unless you have a medical issue (and the number of people who actually do have a medical issue is not that many), carbs aren't a problem. Ok, well, unless ALL your carbs come from cake, but then your issues have nothing to do with carbs themselves. XD
  • patstar5
    patstar5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 lbs in less than 3 months by ditching grains and eating 20g or less carbs a day.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A big part of my excess calories comes from sugary food and baked goods. These have a lot more calories than they have health benefits. While I don't "cut them out completely", I do have to re-think how much of these items makes sense to have. For example, it's really hard for me to maintain a healthy level of calories if I get a couple candy bars from the vending machine most days. I don't "need" those candy bars, I don't get anything positive from them in my diet. Bringing an apple with me to work, and skipping the vending machine altogether is a big change to my daily intake.

I think this is what makes sense for cutting carbs - figure out what you eat that has the most sugar & flour, and significantly reduce the amount of that stuff you consume. Your body does need carbs, but some carbs are included in your other foods - fruits & vegetables for example. Eat plenty of those, and cut back on the sweets.