Not enough for MFP

Options
So I have found that I have a REALLY hard time meeting my 1200 calorie goal for MFP. I am 100% honest on my log so I don't want to add food I didn't eat just to get it to log...I eat healthy..and I feel I eat enough...I don't get dizzy or sick or weak...I eat my fruits and veggies and meat and protein...go as low on carbs and sugar as I can...the calories just don't add up. I am still a big girl 196 lbs...and maybe I feel fine because my body is feeding off what fat I already have. But I just don't feel right forcing myself to eat...I usually consume between 800-1000 calories of good food a day. My weight loss is moderate...if I do the math it averages out to 1.7lb a week...so not drastic..some weeks I lose more some weeks less .....I am sure I am going to get a lot of replies about starving myself and what not...and that's fine everyone has an opinion...but as I said...I eat when I am hungry I just eat good food .... How do I get around the mfp #'s with out making false entries...and can they flag me or something for not making my calorie amount? (I heard that somewhere)

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    No, they don't flag. MFP puts the warning there to avoid being seen as an aid for ANA's and other people with starvation EDs. (Unfortunately, people still use it as one). Just don't complete your diary for the day. It really does nothing. And the "expected" loss figure it gives you is inaccurate anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The MFP system will fuss when you've completed a day without hitting 1200 calories but this doesn't go on your permanent record or anything ;)

How tall are you?

Are you using a digital food scale to weigh your food? If not, it's common to having logging inaccuracies.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How tall are you at 196? If you're short, you could be fine. 1.7 pounds per week isn't too drastic of a loss that it would make me think you were starving yourself unless you were very tall or didn't have a lot of weight to lose.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" I am tall but not super tall...I have 30 more to lose to be at the very tip of a healthy BMI and about 50 if I want to be in the safe area of my bmi
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING even if it comes with the serving size on it I weigh it. I even bring my scale and most my own food when we go to my in laws for dinner. And that weight projection deal is wayyyyy off lol
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    P.s....thank you guys for not giving me "the speech" lol I am sure its coming!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you find after several weeks that you feel tired or run down, you may need more calories to sustain your level of activity. There are lots of calorie dense foods sources: cheese, yogurt, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. I'm also a proponent of adding in treats in moderation like ice cream or chocolate, but it's up to you what you want to eat.

And just a note, I am about the same size as you, and I lose eating around 2000 calories a day (although I am rather active so that I can eat more). Before doing tons of workouts, I could lose eating 1500 calories. Keep that in mind if you do find yourself feeling run down.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    If you find after several weeks that you feel tired or run down, you may need more calories to sustain your level of activity. There are lots of calorie dense foods sources: cheese, yogurt, nuts, avocados, oils, etc. I'm also a proponent of adding in treats in moderation like ice cream or chocolate, but it's up to you what you want to eat.

This was my thought too. There are definitely days where I feel like I'm struggling to eat all my calories because I'm so full from all the protein/fiber. For me though....I do want to consume them (more as my own personal weight loss experiment). ;) If worse comes to worse I eat 1-2 TBSP of peanut butter to get them all in. So if you end up finding you need those extra calories, calorie dense helps you get there without actually eating very much.

• mhollencamp102012
    Options
    I am not keeping them this low intentionally...its just I don't eat if I am not hungry. I do work out ...almost every day. But I am a stay at home mom and don't get the daily activity besides cleaning the house that I got when I was working. My job before becoming a stay at home mom were very strenuous and I did eat more then because I needed too. But now with the exception of the gym my activity level is pretty low. I am always up and moving..but not burning a lot while doing it. I have been between 800-1000 cals for the last 14 weeks and doing fine. I do throw in a higher calorie day here and there (1500-1700) its rare but I do. I am just in the mind set that if I am hungry I will eat until I am full and stop...if I am not hungry I don't eat...I do try and get in a protein shake everyday even if I am not feeling it. But that is only 205 cals...it helps but its not a lot......thanks again guys :)
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    eat an avocado a day! It will be 250 calories and get you right in there....
    p.s. I just really love avocados ha ha
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you want, i find nuts and nut butters are a quick and delicious way to add calories.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I am always puzzled how one becomes overweight if they struggle to consume 1,200 kcal. Presumably at one time you ate a lot more than 1,200 kcal. What changed?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No, they don't flag. MFP puts the warning there to avoid being seen as an aid for ANA's and other people with starvation EDs. (Unfortunately, people still use it as one). Just don't complete your diary for the day. It really does nothing. And the "expected" loss figure it gives you is inaccurate anyway.

Excellent answer!!!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Not eat
    I am always puzzled how one becomes overweight if they struggle to consume 1,200 kcal. Presumably at one time you ate a lot more than 1,200 kcal. What changed?

Ummmmm.....Not eating tons of carbs that leave you hungry constantly? High fat diets up ones calories considerably, too right?
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    eat an avocado a day! It will be 250 calories and get you right in there....
    p.s. I just really love avocados ha ha

I love them too...great idea!!
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options

Gump you're a genius! Of course at one time I over ate... Binged...didn't exercise.... But isn't the whole purpose of mfp to change your lifestyle to not over eat and be lazy?? Now that I eat better food I don't get hungry or have the desire to binge eat...not to mention I have learned self control and I don't eat when I am not hungry anymore...

Brilliance IS among us!