Carb cycling

Options
anyone know any good recipes for low carb days??

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    how low is low?
  • carmenfalcon97
    carmenfalcon97 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well veggies have carbs in them I'm talking about obvious carbs like breads pastas rice none of that on low carb days, and replace it with a healthy fat, like avocado
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well veggies have carbs in them I'm talking about obvious carbs like breads pastas rice none of that on low carb days, and replace it with a healthy fat, like avocado

So are you looking to hit a certain carbohydrate number or are you looking to just avoid bread, pasta, and rice? Because those seem like two different things -- your body still recognizes the carbohydrates in "non-obvious" sources of carbohydrates.
  • WBB55
    Options
    So are you looking for some kind of "keto bread" or "keto pasta" to replace the gluten pasta? Like cauliflower "mashed potatoes", that kind of thing? Or are you just looking to keep your carbs for each meal below a particular number?
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options
    No particular number, body builder friend of mine told me to start carb cycling. And I'm pretty new at this I only know a few things to make with carb cycling diets. I guess my question is do you carb cycle and if you do what is a typical meal throughout the day?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No particular number, body builder friend of mine told me to start carb cycling. And I'm pretty new at this I only know a few things to make with carb cycling diets. I guess my question is do you carb cycle and if you do what is a typical meal throughout the day?

What goals is this supposed to help you meet? Why did your friend recommend it to you? Did he recommend a particular goal for carbohydrates or did he just tell you to eliminate bread, pasta and rice on some days?
  • WBB55
    Options
    I'd ask the friend for more details. Don't know if this friend is a male, but nutrition for women of child-bearing years is quite different than for men. I highly suggest reading up about a lot of things before taking random advice as gospel. Breads are often fortified with iron -- which you need. This is just one example of an essential element you might not get enough of if you simply "cut out carbs" without doing it thoughtfully.

Maybe you should see a dietician.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Check out our post under carb cyclers unite under motivation/support for some ideas
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Genuine question. Last year I heard a lot about people, especially those who lift, carb cycling. What is the purpose of that? I mean I can understand keto, people want to be in ketosis. In carb cycling you never give yourself a chance to get into true ketosis, and that means you won't get to enjoy all the claimed benefits. If that's the case why not just eat normal carbs every day to one's preference? What does carb cycling offer that calorie restriction with less rules fails to deliver?
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is supposed to help burn fat on low carb days and build muscle on high carb days. It also prevents you from getting used to eating the same amount of calories each day so you don't plateau.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Some athletes I know use carb cycling to maintain a deficit overall but still have enough energy on their long endurance days for training, since for them low carb kills their long-term stamina.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Genuine question. Last year I heard a lot about people, especially those who lift, carb cycling. What is the purpose of that? I mean I can understand keto, people want to be in ketosis. In carb cycling you never give yourself a chance to get into true ketosis, and that means you won't get to enjoy all the claimed benefits. If that's the case why not just eat normal carbs every day to one's preference? What does carb cycling offer that calorie restriction with less rules fails to deliver?

It depends on the goal -- whether they're cutting, recomping or bulking. The basic idea if that you more calories total and heavy on carbs and protein on lifting days to take advantage of the insulingenic response of carbs -- that helps shuttle nutrients into the cells after lifting so you maximize your recovery (that's where/when muscle is built the most). Then on days that you aren't lifting, you eat less -- both in calorie total and carb amount (usually much more carb restricted where you just eat non-starchy veggies primarily).

If you're cutting, you look to create your weekly deficit primarily on your non-lifting days and eat at maintenance or slightly above on lifting days (or if a big cut, at least a much smaller deficit on these days). If you're recomping, your total weekly deficit is nill -- you're eating at maintenance but each day you have a slight surplus on lifting days and make up for that surplus with a deficit on non-lifting days. If you're bulking, you're eating an overall weekly surplus where your surplus is made on lifting days and you're eating at maintenance on non-lifting days.

That's the basic gist with most carb cycle plans -- leangains is a good example. They have calculators out there to set up the cals, macros, etc. depending on your specific circumstances.

Part of the theory on why carb cycling can yield better results is that you aren't keeping a prolonged caloric deficit -- you have all these little mini refeeds on lifting days. The theory is that with these little mini refeeds, you don't get the negative hormonal impact that you might otherwise get with a prolonged caloric deficit (changes in leptin, grehlin, T3, etc.). I don't know if any studies have been done to show if this is actually accurate, but that's the theory.

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has low carb recipes ....there is also a group for us carb cyling in motivation if you would like to join us
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

For those of us that carb cycle (and I do when doing a cut), I tend to just focus on non-starchy vegetables on non-lifting days. Things like salads, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I eat those types of veggies and then avoid other dense sources of carbs (bread, pasta, sweets, fruits [with the exception of berries], etc.). Then on lifting days, I make sure I load up on carbs in addition to my protein and fat, especially after my work out. I'll do this by eating more starchy vegetables primarily (sweet potatoes being my favorite) but will also use stuff like certain types of bread, rice and potatoes. I personally don't do too well with heavy gluten stuff, so I don't tend to eat grain product stuff but those that don't have those issues, use those products just fine. If I'm going to eat something dessert-y with a lot of carbs (regardless of what that is), I'll do that on these days too.

Some folks that are stricter than me will also look to keep their fat low on the high carb days because too much fat will blunt the insulingenic response of the carbs. So they'll focus on post-workout meals with a lot of protein and carbs but more limited fat. For me, I don't get that strict, but I'm also not someone that is cutting for any sort of competition.

• carmenfalcon97
    Options
    Everyone is completely off topic, I asked for recipes when you're carb cycling... What does your typical meals for the day consist of?? Can anyone answer this?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Everyone is completely off topic, I asked for recipes when you're carb cycling... What does your typical meals for the day consist of?? Can anyone answer this?

It's a bit difficult for people to answer that without knowing what numbers you are trying to hit. There's no one-size-fits-all for carb cycling, it's going to depend on your personal stats. Have you checked out the Carb Cyclers Unite thread in Motivation and Support? It sounds like that would be a good place to get guidance on how to proceed.
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has low carb recipes ....there is also a group for us carb cyling in motivation if you would like to join us

Yes! How do I do that? Please and thanks
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options

For those of us that carb cycle (and I do when doing a cut), I tend to just focus on non-starchy vegetables on non-lifting days. Things like salads, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I eat those types of veggies and then avoid other dense sources of carbs (bread, pasta, sweets, fruits [with the exception of berries], etc.). Then on lifting days, I make sure I load up on carbs in addition to my protein and fat, especially after my work out. I'll do this by eating more starchy vegetables primarily (sweet potatoes being my favorite) but will also use stuff like certain types of bread, rice and potatoes. I personally don't do too well with heavy gluten stuff, so I don't tend to eat grain product stuff but those that don't have those issues, use those products just fine. If I'm going to eat something dessert-y with a lot of carbs (regardless of what that is), I'll do that on these days too.

Some folks that are stricter than me will also look to keep their fat low on the high carb days because too much fat will blunt the insulingenic response of the carbs. So they'll focus on post-workout meals with a lot of protein and carbs but more limited fat. For me, I don't get that strict, but I'm also not someone that is cutting for any sort of competition.

Thanks so much! For the tips! !!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10249540/carb-cyclers-unite/p1
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options

Go to the tab that says motivation and look for carb cycling unite :)