Started SL 5x5 1 month ago, please check my form and don't laugh

Options
2»

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not much more to add but, those rows shown on the SL site are Pendlay rows.
    Weight starts on the floor and is explosively pulled up to the body and then slowly lowered to the ground. Then repeat for as many reps as called for.

As for squats. Honestly you've got a ways to go. I'd look up goblet squats, pole squats and squat mobility exercises. Looks like you're too limited on mobility and it's pulling your legs, back and hips out of whack.
    Plus, pick a squat form and stick with it. The bar appeared to be high, like for a high back squat, but it looks like you're trying to do a low back squat. Search both types to see the difference.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    And this is why some exercises have a learning curve, preferably with a trainer. Maybe try a gym for a while? It is not a matter of strength but I suspect you will end up hurt because of bad form sooner or later.

thanks for your input, anything specific that stands out in terms of correcting the form?

I am no expert, but
    1) I would go back to body weight squats and correct the feet/knees. This is an accident waiting to happen, sorry. Forget squatting low, you do not have stability
    2) Deadlifts, I do not know if I would call them deadlifts, you cannot deadlift with a rounded back. And it is not you lose strenght as you go, form is not good at any point. You cannot properly deadlift and look at yourself in a mirror, but perhaps in this case it would help. Find a mirror, turn your side to it, grab a broomstick instead of the bar and keep repeating the motion until you start feeling and seeing what a flat back feels like
    3) Rows, you are not bending forward. You are bending so little, they do not look like rows.
    4) Bench press, I cannot judge from this angle, but there looks like something funny is going with your grip.

I was doing bodyweight squats before, in large volumes, like 5x20, but proper form was always challenging.

I know completely how you feel, but until you fix form, you do not add weight, at least not weight that would really make a difference. Maybe use a low chair and try squatting until you sit? It looks and feels ridiculous, but it helps, and if you workout out at home, no one will stare ;) Much better than trying at a gym with the trainer yelling, in order to be heard over the background music.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hip and ankle mobility are helping put you into bad positions on both movements. Knees caving could also be partially due to glute weakness and tight groin, but there is definitely a "hip hinge" issue. You should check out Jones Strength. She has a great ebook specifically for hip hinge issues. She also post great tips and mobility drills on instagram.

The suggestion to go back to bodyweight movements is a good one. You should also look into alternative movements that don't require as much mobility to work the same muscle groups. Single leg stuff works great for quads and glutes without the hip mobility component of the squat. Pullups and rows for the back.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I think squatting the bar is fine. Just be aware of fluid movements. Be deliberate and focused.

Take the time to adjust your rack for squatting. It can help your form. Make sure your palms are evenly spaced for leverage. My bar placement is similar to yours because that is most comfortable for me. It's kind of between a high-bar and low-bar as said above. Pick a side if you can and do one or the other. The high-bar may have you squatting more vertically. It targets the quads more (azz-to-grass will get your hams working). The low-bar will have you more leaning forward. It targets the hams more. YouTube has many examples.

The single leg or pistol squats (as mentioned above) really help with concentrated movement. Start with the chair pistol squat. Try to be as fluid as possible and don't let your knee cave. And YT Brett Contreras for ideas to help the glutes and hams. I like to add accessory work like elevated single-leg glute marches for this area.

Kettlebell swings may be helping my deadlifting along with the RDLs. And the video with Dr. Kelly Starrett showing how to stabilize the core can be good to keep in mind while performing these moves.
  • Kellyymcd
    Kellyymcd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention this but I would think it would be important to wear supportive sneakers.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Kellyymcd wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone mention this but I would think it would be important to wear supportive sneakers.

i.e. something flat, chuck taylors, vans, janoskis.

Not running shoes.

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Definitely not for squatting and deadlifting ....
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Does sneaker just mean a running shoe?

I don't know this American term.. lol.

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Does sneaker just mean a running shoe?

I don't know this American term.. lol.

Haha, I'm Canadian and even then there are often different terms that get used by Americans ... But yes. At least that's how I use the word/everyone I've ever known has used it ... Sneakers = running shoes or sometimes cross trainers
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

i.e. something flat, chuck taylors, vans, janoskis.

Not running shoes.

Or just barefoot or socks is fine.

• Kellyymcd
    Kellyymcd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess the term "sneakers" was too broad to use. Yes I am from the United States. To me a sneaker is anything that is not a dress shoe, heel, ladies flats, or sandals. I don't know the difference between that and a "tennis shoe"
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    "Sneaker" and "tennis shoe/tennies" are often interchangeable. Athletic shoe can be used to refer to them, as well. Most of those aren't appropriate for lifting. The shoes mentioned above (vans, converse style) or something like Vibram/Skele Toes will work if barefoot isn't an option. I use Skele Toes that I had previous to starting SL.

I was looking at the cushy floor in the video and wondered if that would impact the OP, along with his mobility. Even in yoga, some need to move off of their thin mats for stability during balance poses.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are going real, real fast. Slow it down. There is no way you are inhaling and then "getting tight" before you start the eccentric part of the squat when you are moving that quick. Your core and back should be flexed. Your lats pull the bar down into your shoulder blades.You need to build tension in the glutes, hamstrings, and quads before you even begin to descend. This becomes very apparent the heavier you go. It will work at the lighter weights, but you are going to make your hip flexors very angry when they are forced to absorb all the energy when you hit the bottom because the rest of your muscles were loose. Plus, having tension in these muscles will improve your lifts, as when you add more tension to an already tensed muscle, the ganglion response of the muscle forces it to contract even harder than it normally could to prevent itself from tearing (which adds up to you lifting more weight). This is that springy feeling you get at the bottom of the squat.

Best squat form video I ever watched: https://youtube.com/watch?v=rOJGzAgLWDc

On the deads, you should start with the bar just slightly behind the middle of your foot. You were pretty far forward, which caused some rounding of the back, and make you pick up most of the load with your spinal erectors (which are tiny muscles compared to things like your leg muscles). You want the bar as close to your ankles as you can get it without scraping your shins with the bar on the way up. You are trying to minimize the level arm between your COG and the bar

You also bent down to get to the bar using your back. You want to keep your back very straight and let your legs do the moving. This might be hard to do at first, but as your mobility increases, it will feel more natural. Trying looking at a wall or mirror in front of you. Keeping your head up will force you to keep your body upright, and use your legs to close the distance. It's crucial to do this, because if you use your back to pick up the weight at higher weights, you will seriously hurt your back. It also helps to keep your grip about the same width as your shins; typically the wider your grip, the more it forces you to pick with weight up with your back.

Also, when you bend down to pick the bar up, make sure to already be contracting your hamstrings. Again, get tight; contract your core, tighten the back, inhale, hold, squeeze, then perform the lift.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So on your squat, your feet rotate in as you push up. That's usually an indication that your knees are moving inward on the ascension. Feet should stay flat on the floor through the entire movement and knees shouldn't come inward.

You're rounding your back on your deadlifts. Pull your shoulders back and push your chest out. That will help flatten out your back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I would see articles that would say tuck your shoulders in your back pocket to visualize pulling the shoulders back as you mention. Had a bit of a hard time visualizing this. Tony Gentilcore has a coaching cue in this article that I could visualize: "a more simplified and less geeky way of explaining things is to pretend you have an orange in your armpit and that you’re trying to squeeze out some orange juice."

"This cue will ensure all of the above: lats will be engaged, scapulae will posteriorly tilt, and the chest will be up."

Same thing as put the shoulders in the back pocket, but the orange juice thing really clicked with me.

http://tonygentilcore.com/2014/02/two-components-deadlifting-success/