CARBS?!

Options

Replies

• doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Carbs arent bad if they are the "right" carbs. It is needed to fuel your body and your body basically run on carbs. Good carbs are rice, potatoes, oats, millets, sweet potatoes. It is less processed and keeps you full.

Bad carbs are loaded with oils, animal fats and sugar like white bread, fries, etc. It is not the carbs in these that makes them bad. It is the oils, butters, animal fats and sugar.

When you go on low carbs, you're basically losing water weight and muscles. You can easily put on weight back.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carbs.
    Fotolia_11634779_Subscription_L.jpg
    Carbs.
    whole-grains.jpg
    Carbs.
    tubers.jpg
    Carbs.
    weight-loss-regina-east-ideal-protein-pro-energy.jpg
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also carbs:
    ihops-butterscotch-rocks-pancake.jpg?w=515
    the-pros-and-cons-of-a-high-carbohydrate-diet_1.jpg
    pasta.gif
    synthetic-diet.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While I do 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats for pain management I really do enjoy the other side effects as well.

Being able to pig out every day and still lose weight is a new experience for this old man. I love not being hungry or having cravings for carbs now. My carb fuel gauge must be broken because I could eat and eat and still eat more carbs during the same meal. With fats I fill up and just push the food back because I feel so stuff.

Keep in mind I am 64 and abused carbs for 40 years which I now do not advise others to do so.

Some of my fat sources are coconut oil, heavy whipping cream (36% butter fat), eggs, bacon, coconut flakes and almonds. My first cup of coffee/cocoa has 800 calories and is basically carb free.

If you can eat carbs and require no meds because of it then have at carbs. Not sure why my body decided to respond as if carbs are toxic to it.

One thing that helped me leave carbs in my case was learning that medically humans do not require eating in carbs to have full health. Yes my emotional connection to carbs was hard to break but after two weeks going off carbs cold turkey the carb cravings just faded way quickly.

I do hope one does not have carb related medical issues but if one does I hope my story helps you know there is life after CARBS. It is awesome in my case.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    The only reason to cut carbs is if you have a doctor diagnosed reason for doing so. Carbs are not evil. They don't carry around pitchforks that stab your insides to hold onto fat. I haven't cut any carbs and lost 48 lbs. Now, my husband has T2 diabetes, so he has to eat less carbs, but that's the only reason. Otherwise, he'd never have cut his!

TL;DR: If your doctor tells you that you have a medical reason that you need to lower or cut out carbs, listen to them. Otherwise, you're fine. Just eat less of EVERYTHING to lose weight and you'll succeed.

There's always personal preference, and preserving future health.

so if you eat carbs, you're not preserving your future health? carbs the devil right...gonna kill ya?

if you truly don't believe carbs are the devil then you wouldn't suggest carbs being a detriment to future health...

ironically, some of the healthiest diets include plenty of carbs...like, IDK...the Mediterranean diet which is basically the blue print for the way I eat...but I guess that's putting my future health at risk?
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Bottom line - the lower your carbs the healthier you'll be.

please tell me more....
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    pinkys008 wrote: »
    Also carbs:
    pasta.gif
    synthetic-diet.jpg

you can not eat that stuff and make better nutritional decisions as to what your carbs consist of...that doesn't mean you have to low carb...

man...y'all are like some kind of cult or something....

the foundation of my diet is basically what jgnatca posted...but apparently this is a detriment to my health according to the cult following here...
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I do best with much lower carbs and higher fat than generally recommended. My joints don't hurt, my energy goes up, I don't get heartburn or near as many digestive issues, and my anxiety goes away. The 15 pounds I went down were just a bonus.

People's bodies are different. No two are exactly alike. You have to find what works best for you. If you do decide to try cutting down carbs, make sure to drink plenty of water and get more salt than usual.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you can not eat that stuff and make better nutritional decisions as to what your carbs consist of...that doesn't mean you have to low carb...

the foundation of my diet is basically what jgnatca posted...but apparently this is a detriment to my health according to the cult following here...

I'm not in the low carb cult, I'm in the less added sugar, less refined flour cult. People who are asking about cutting carbs aren't usually people with an excess of legumes in their diet. Just saying. A whole lot of the "junk" food can be easily identified by the surplus of sugar & white flour in the processing.
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm not in the low carb cult, I'm in the less added sugar, less refined flour cult. People who are asking about cutting carbs aren't usually people with an excess of legumes in their diet. Just saying. A whole lot of the "junk" food can be easily identified by the surplus of sugar & white flour in the processing.

according to the low carb cult here, all carbs are detrimental to future health and whatnot...i've had this discussion with them before...carbs are evil...they are very afraid...

i would also add that much of the junk food posted is high fat as well...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Also carbs:

THIS has my name written all OVER it!
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't completely cut carbs but have cut back drastically. I try to stay away from whole wheat products because of gallstones and stomach issues. We have switched to gluten free pastas when we do have them, gluten free breads, gluten free taco shells and gluten free tortilla shells and have found them all to be tasty. Plus, I am having less stomach issues so it works. I have lost 25 lbs in the last three months and also found that my cravings for carbs has lessened. I try to eat more fruits and veggies and less breads and pastas. Like people have said, everything in moderation! Your body does need some carbs!
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options

according to the low carb cult here, all carbs are detrimental to future health and whatnot...i've had this discussion with them before...carbs are evil...they are very afraid...

i would also add that much of the junk food posted is high fat as well...

I was also going to point out that the images posted of the "evil" carbs had high fat contents as well (minus a few exceptions).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Also carbs:

THIS has my name written all OVER it!

I do see your name on it, I think I see on the third pancake down on the right next the "nut" ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Bottom line - the lower your carbs the healthier you'll be.

please tell me more....

That guy only does drive-by posts from what I've seen. He never comes back.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also carbs:
    pasta.gif
    synthetic-diet.jpg

Lots of fat in most of those "carbs." Calling them simply "carbs" seems a little misleading.

Which is always the problem with these discussions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Focusing on "carbs" and not "eating a healthy diet" is usually a misplaced focus, IMO, and confuses people. It's why we get people thinking they need to cut out all carbs (including vegetables) and eat coconut oil in coffee for breakfast to lose weight or who describe themselves as "scared" to eat fruit.

Obviously, doing a low carb eating plan can be a legitimate strategy for weight loss, but you seemed to be talking about people other than those who have explored it and decided that for them low carb would have particular benefits.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If the people giving you advice call it a carb and look at you with a blank stare when you refer to it as a carbohydrate then run far from that advice.

Carbohydrates as others have said are 1 of 3 macronutrients. Humans need all 3 to provide the energy we need to function.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also carbs:
    pasta.gif
    synthetic-diet.jpg

Lots of fat in most of those "carbs." Calling them simply "carbs" seems a little misleading.

Which is always the problem with these discussions.

We really really need a [sarcasm] tag for this forum. Seriously. The pictures have smartass written on them. It's like the people that put down CICO, claiming that 'oh so you're saying you could live off Twinkies and coke and still lose weight!'. Technically, you could, but NO ONE would suggest that because you would end up completely malnourished. It's like a majority of people here don't understand hyperbole. (not everyone, of course, but a surprising number)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. Some do better with more carbs, some do better with less. They're not inherently good or bad, but just good or bad depending on your individual circumstances, goals and consumption amounts.

For example, there was a study done a couple years ago with obese women who were insulin resistant and those who were insulin sensitive. The insulin sensitive women lost nearly twice as much weight with more carbs. It was the exact opposite for the insulin resistant women. They lost nearly twice as much with less carbs. The protein and caloric deficits were the same across all groups -- so same amount of calories proportionally, but how they created their respective deficits yielded dramatically different results.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/full

Almost half of the US adult population has insulin resistance (at prediabetic or diabetic levels) and the vast majority of them don't know it. That's why it can feel like a magic bullet or a small miracle for people who didn't realize they were insulin resistant and reduce carbs and see dramatically improved results.