What do you think about the effectiveness of juicing for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• zane856
    zane856 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I juice frequently because I have an autoimmune digestive disorder and it really really helps keep symptoms under control, but I have gained weight from it. I had to learn how to calculate the juices calories as well as lower portions from other meals to keep it all under control and am slowly losing it, but I had to take out all fruits and only use veggies (and a lemon to mask the veggie taste) to keep the calories reasonable. So effective for stomach problems, not so effective for weight loss, but that's just my experience !
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not going to read the other comments, just give you my opinion of the juicer and the results I've found "for me"...My daughter gave me a juicer for my birthday two weeks ago...I've used it faithfully almost every day for lunch....In that two weeks, I have lost 3 lbs, and the only change made was the juicer...I've looked over my food journals, and the amount of really good nutrients going in has more than doubled, but my calorie consumption is pretty much the same. Meaning I'm full all day, and not suddenly snacking due to hunger. So. 3 lbs down, more nutrients. I like it so far. The only problem I've found is it's a *kitten* to clean...scuse my French!

If you're not snacking due to hunger any more, how is your calorie count the same as it was previously?

I'm not snacking due to hunger...I'm eating more vegetables and getting fuller. But again. That's me. For me. I have to say that as there are usually one or two people floating around here ready to jump on any opinion regarding food...lol. So my point is the same. Im not hungry...I've lost 3 lbs without changing anything else about my every day. All in all, just my opinion.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    I use a nutri-bullet to make smoothies from usually mixed berries and kale or spinach for breakfast sometimes. I do it because I enjoy it. It feels me up due to the fact it keeps the fiber. But personally I wouldn't just juice since you lose all fiber. But that is just my personal opinion.

You won't lose the fiber if you add the pulp to your juice at the end...I do this, and find it's more smoothie like, and I have no regrets about lost food/nutrients.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes itself, so if you're planning to juice strictly for the detox, don't bother. One benefit to juicing though is that you can pack a lot of micronutrients into one little drink - buuuut you can also pack a lot of calories in so just try to log them as appropriately as possible. Me personally, I prefer to get all the nutrients as well as the fiber from my fruit and veg so I usually just eat them whole or make a smoothie.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Your body detoxes itself, so if you're planning to juice strictly for the detox, don't bother. One benefit to juicing though is that you can pack a lot of micronutrients into one little drink - buuuut you can also pack a lot of calories in so just try to log them as appropriately as possible. Me personally, I prefer to get all the nutrients as well as the fiber from my fruit and veg so I usually just eat them whole or make a smoothie.

This. Great answer!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to eat my calories, but for a quick breakfast or lunch, there are a lot of people that feel it helps. You can add protein powder or other supplements if you're low on something to hide the flavor too.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Tried juicing and it left me extremely tired and hungry all the time. Anything I lost I gained right back as soon as I started eating again. It was worthless.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you juice, you remove the fiber. Fiber helps you not feel hungry.
    Eat the fruit in the state you buy it.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I got a vitamix. I make smoothies. I keep the fiber, but I have to watch the calories, and if I depend too much on that I miss out on protein.

Yummy, but easy to overdo. Also low in protein unless you add something for that. (Nut or seed butter, protein powder, yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu....)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jtorr1984 wrote: »
    There are some conflicting ideas about a juice detox for nutrition. Some believe that juicing strips the nutrients from foods but other feel that juicing maximizes nutrient intake.

I feel that juicing to lose weight is wasting a good piece of fruit or vegetable. In fact, if you consume a calorie deficit, you won't even lose weight while juicing because weight loss is about calories in/calories out. You don't have to detox either, because your body does that all by itself.

In other words, you don't need to juice to lose weight, you just need to eat less calories than you burn.

That said, I love a good glass of homemade juice but would never use it for weight loss purposes. I like to drink it once in awhile with a snack or a meal. The only reason I make it is because I love making homemade stuff. I even make my own bread, and will try to make my some hummus sometime soon. I also grind my own peanut butter.

Uh, oh, looks like I went on a slight tangent. Back on track.

No as to juice for weight loss and/or detoxing. Yes as to real food. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    I use a nutri-bullet to make smoothies from usually mixed berries and kale or spinach for breakfast sometimes. I do it because I enjoy it. It feels me up due to the fact it keeps the fiber. But personally I wouldn't just juice since you lose all fiber. But that is just my personal opinion.

You won't lose the fiber if you add the pulp to your juice at the end...I do this, and find it's more smoothie like, and I have no regrets about lost food/nutrients.

Do you blend the juice and the pulp together?