Lifting For Women

Options
Any of you ladies lift regularly? Tips and Tricks?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I lift two or three times per week. As far as tips and tricks, I can offer a couple of generic ones: lift heavy! You won't get bulky. Be sure you're getting enough protein daily. Compound moves with free-weights are overall better but even the weight machines will give you results if the free weights intimidate you.

For more specifics it would partially depend on what your goals are. Are you eating at a deficit and hoping to maintain more of your current muscle mass? Eating at maintenance to do a body recomposition? Eating at a surplus to increase muscle mass?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, what are your goals?

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to be on a structured program with a progressive overload-lifting heavy. What program are you using now?
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have the same issue. Need to start lifting but dunno where to start. Pls do recommend some free programs as a starting point :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Have the same issue. Need to start lifting but dunno where to start. Pls do recommend some free programs as a starting point :)

Strong Lifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength

You can find everything for Strong Lifts and Starting Strength for free online, but for NROLW and Strong Curves-you should really buy the books and have a read.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to be on a structured program with a progressive overload-lifting heavy. What program are you using now?

This. Lots of great programs out there. I'm on customized programming and love it.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Strong Lifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength

You can find everything for Strong Lifts and Starting Strength for free online, but for NROLW and Strong Curves-you should really buy the books and have a read.

+1. These are all excellent programs.

Addition: Practice, practice, practice your form. There are a ton of youtube videos showing you how to lift properly. Look at these and make sure you've got it down before you start adding any weight.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out Bodybuilding.com. There are tons of programs for all types of goals. There are also videos to learn the proper form to use while lifting. Also, as a bonus (in my opinion) there are recipes for those who like to lift wanting to get the proper nutrition ratio.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    you should do an actual program...it takes a lot of knowledge to program your own workout effectively.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start if for nothing else but the read...the program is a good beginner program focused on lifting for general fitness...it gets a little convoluted IMO at the end, which is where my wife switched to Strong Curves.

in RE to how you lift, there isn't a way for women to lift or men to lift...we all lift the same. working in different rep ranges and the like will garner different results as per your specified goals...i.e. if you want to get really strong, you would want to work in a low rep range at a higher % of your max. general fitness stuff will generally have you working in a higher rep range at more moderate weight...

the foundation of any effective lifting program are your compound lifts...most strength programs will put a huge emphasis on these and in many cases are the only things you do...a more rounded fitness routine will have you working compounds, usually in different variations, but also have you doing more accessory type of work.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you prefer circuit training and variety I would go with Strong Curves. I started with this program and I learned lots of moves. I also learned how to target/activate better. I am now concentrating more on the compound lifting with the Strong Lifts 5x5 with added SC accessories to keep it interesting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there are no tricks to lifting.

Find a beginner program
    Learn technique
    run the program
    See gainzzzzzzzzzz

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will fourth or fifth or sixth the recommendation to find an established beginner program. Don't try making one up. An established program will be balanced and tell you how to progress, both rep-wise and weight-wise. There's no point trying to re-invent the wheel via creating your own program when your time could be better spend learning good form/technique.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    https://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

The info is good, and the programs are easy to follow yet challenging for a beginner.
  • lizzolizz
    lizzolizz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I lift two or three times per week. As far as tips and tricks, I can offer a couple of generic ones: lift heavy! You won't get bulky. Be sure you're getting enough protein daily. Compound moves with free-weights are overall better but even the weight machines will give you results if the free weights intimidate you.

For more specifics it would partially depend on what your goals are. Are you eating at a deficit and hoping to maintain more of your current muscle mass? Eating at maintenance to do a body recomposition? Eating at a surplus to increase muscle mass?

I'm not eating any certain way other than making sure it's healthy. I'm about to to cut soda and all junk food all together tomorrow.
  • lizzolizz
    Options
    https://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

The info is good, and the programs are easy to follow yet challenging for a beginner.

Thank you!
  • lizzolizz
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    If you prefer circuit training and variety I would go with Strong Curves. I started with this program and I learned lots of moves. I also learned how to target/activate better. I am now concentrating more on the compound lifting with the Strong Lifts 5x5 with added SC accessories to keep it interesting.
    Thanks!!
  • lizzolizz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you should do an actual program...it takes a lot of knowledge to program your own workout effectively.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start if for nothing else but the read...the program is a good beginner program focused on lifting for general fitness...it gets a little convoluted IMO at the end, which is where my wife switched to Strong Curves.

in RE to how you lift, there isn't a way for women to lift or men to lift...we all lift the same. working in different rep ranges and the like will garner different results as per your specified goals...i.e. if you want to get really strong, you would want to work in a low rep range at a higher % of your max. general fitness stuff will generally have you working in a higher rep range at more moderate weight...

the foundation of any effective lifting program are your compound lifts...most strength programs will put a huge emphasis on these and in many cases are the only things you do...a more rounded fitness routine will have you working compounds, usually in different variations, but also have you doing more accessory type of work.
    Do you recommend any cardio?

• lizzolizz
    Options
    Maybe check out Bodybuilding.com. There are tons of programs for all types of goals. There are also videos to learn the proper form to use while lifting. Also, as a bonus (in my opinion) there are recipes for those who like to lift wanting to get the proper nutrition ratio.

Hope that helps a bit!

Yes thank you! I thought about using them!
  • lizzolizz
    Options

I have no program. I need one with a fiat too. I'm not sure what to eat and where to start. I'm not totally unfit but I'm not all the way fit. If that makes sense?
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Strong Lifts 5x5
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength

Or borrow them from the library