Dark chocolates

Options
How good are dark chocolates in losing weight? I read an article about it recently ( http://livehealthy.chron.com/effects-dark-chocolate-reducing-weight-5330.html ) Was wondering if it really works. I started thinking about it seriously, when I met a friend of mine who lost some weight and she said she tried Giddy yo yo dark chocolates . I would like to know if anyone else had luck with dark chocolates. If yes, how often and how long did you take it. Thanks

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The more dark chocolate you eat the more weight you lose.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate almost every day because I love it. But it does not have any miracle weight loss properties.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate almost every day because I love it. But it does not have any miracle weight loss properties.

Was about to write almost exactly this.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Maybe read this first.... http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800

(I love dark chocolate btw). :smile:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake for the day is, say, 1600 calories and you eat 1300 calories of dark chocolate and nothing else, you will lose weight. If you eat 1800 calories of nothing but dark chocolate, you will gain weight.

That is all.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's not a miracle weight loss product. I enjoy having a square or two (no more than 21g) of 85%+ dark chocolate, but it is very easy for me to wipe out any deficit I create if I don't carefully weigh and log it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do people really believe that one single food, like dark chocolate, can make you lose weight? This astounds me.

A calorie deficit is required for losing weight. Period. Dark chocolate doesn't make you lose weight. It is tasty though, so eat dark chocolate if you like, as long as you're in a calorie deficit you will lose.
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to loose weight in the sense that you are unlikely to "over eat" dark chocolate, chocolate is a major downfall in a lot of peoples diets because its just so damn good, I had bad chocolate habit ... but if you switch to dark chocolate and tired to eat a massive block of it you would feel really sick. I cannot eat over 30gms of dark chocolate but I can totally eat a full king size bar of regular milk chocolate over a day. The taste of bittersweet satisfies your sweet fix, but also trains your body to consume less sugar by adjusting your taste buds.
    It also has great antioxidants and still raises all those feel good chems. I think its totally reasonable to say that if you adapt dark chocolate (over 75%cocoa solids) into a sensible eating plan it helps you loose weight by lessening the likely hood of you binging on over caloried sweet crap.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to loose weight in the sense that you are unlikely to "over eat" dark chocolate, chocolate is a major downfall in a lot of peoples diets because its just so damn good, I had bad chocolate habit ... but if you switch to dark chocolate and tired to eat a massive block of it you would feel really sick. I cannot eat over 30gms of dark chocolate but I can totally eat a full king size bar of regular milk chocolate over a day. The taste of bittersweet satisfies your sweet fix, but also trains your body to consume less sugar by adjusting your taste buds.
    It also has great antioxidants and still raises all those feel good chems. I think its totally reasonable to say that if you adapt dark chocolate (over 75%cocoa solids) into a sensible eating plan it helps you loose weight by lessening the likely hood of you binging on over caloried sweet crap.

If you eat it often enough then the 'high' you get will get harder to achieve, so you will need more, I've no problem finishing off a decent sized bar
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Interesting. Everyone has heard chocolate is bad for dogs (some breeds more that others). We were told by a vet dark chocolate is significantly more toxic to a dog than milk chocolate.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »

Was about to write almost exactly this.
    Same.
    Dark chocolate is delicious o.o
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit makes one lose weight. That's it. There are no magical weight loss foods. That being said, EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    A couple of squares of Dove dark chocolate sure helps me control sweet cravings so in that sense it's good for MY weight loss. As long as it fits into my daily calories of course.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Eating a specific food isn't going to give your weight loss a power up unfortunately, just stay within your calorie deficit and you'll lose, stick with it! :)

I personally keep around a bag of Hershey's special dark chocolate chips so I can just eat one or two when I'm craving chocolate, it's only a few calories and it gives me the taste I'm wanting, that being said I have strong willpower and can literally eat a couple and put it away, I think that would drive some people crazier than just not eating it but it works for me :)
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle food that will make you lose weight because you ate it. If you like dark chocolate, eat it as long as you're still in a deficit.
  • patstar5
    patstar5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy for you but I wouldn't call it a miracle weight loss food.
    If you eat dark chocolate you want to get 80% or higher, I eat 85% Lindt dark chocolate and it is delicious! It use to be bitter but after eating no sugar for over a month it is pretty sweet to me
  • patstar5
    patstar5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also Cacao is better than cocoa
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    The more dark chocolate you eat the more weight you lose.

This is a joke, right? ;)

OP, chocolate is good but it has not special properties to aid in weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »
    Eating a specific food isn't going to give your weight loss a power up unfortunately, just stay within your calorie deficit and you'll lose, stick with it! :)

I personally keep around a bag of Hershey's special dark chocolate chips so I can just eat one or two when I'm craving chocolate, it's only a few calories and it gives me the taste I'm wanting, that being said I have strong willpower and can literally eat a couple and put it away, I think that would drive some people crazier than just not eating it but it works for me :)

I can relate. In my frig I have leftover chocolate from Ireland last September and from Christmas. Once in awhile have a piece or two then put the rest away for another day, and another day, and.....

Well, you get the picture. :)
  • MelissaJSch
    MelissaJSch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the information guys. Really appreciate it!