Breakfast ideas

Options
breakfast is hard. Need some healthy breakfast ideas that i can bring to work.

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Make mini quishes, I make mine in muffin tins with veg, spices and eggs. Yoghurt and granola. Oat porridge. Chopped fruit with quark.
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cappuccino with an extra shot.
  • topazgal
    topazgal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Quark?

• topazgal
    Options
    Oat porridge as in oatmeal? I love oatmeal but i always thought it was high in carbs?
  • hpham77
    hpham77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    a cup of oatmeal with one scoop of whey protein to add flavor and 1/4 cup of flaxseed...150 grams of egg whites cook with a little of garlic salt and black pepper.....52grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, 49 grams of protein
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats (tons of recipes online but watch the extras as they add up)
    Mini egg muffins
    breakfast tacos - many low calorie options out there and these can be made and frozen
    protein smoothes
    fruit salad with hard boiled eggs
    eggs and steamed kale
  • shrinkbaby
    shrinkbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2 rice cakes with almond butter topped with sliced strawberries or blueberries.
  • topazgal
    Options
    I never tried almond butter. What does it taste like?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Egg Frittatas

You'll need a 10-12 inch non-stick skillet

Makes 2 Servings
    400-500 calories per serving as well as a decent amount of protein, healthy fat, and micronutrients

The Basic Frittata
    • 6 whole large eggs, whisked to combine whites & yolks
    • 1-2 tbsp. unsalted butter
    • few pinches of kosher salt, to taste
    • few grinds of fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Optional Ingredients:
    • 1/2 onion or 1 whole shallot, finely minced and sweated (cooked over low heat with no color)
    • 1 clove garlic, finely minced and sweated
    • 3 scallions, white parts only, minced, raw
    • Pre-sautéed or roasted sliced mushrooms, chiles, and/or bell peppers
    • Halved grape tomatoes
    • Pre-cooked diced potatoes or hash browns
    • Pre-cooked chopped pancetta, prosciutto, chorizo, sausage, bacon, ham, steak, or other meat of your choice
    • Blanched chopped kale, broccoli rabe, chard, asparagus, peas, or any green veg of your choice
    • Raw baby spinach, arugula, or other delicate greens that don't take too long to cook
    • 2 oz. cheese (cheddar, feta, swiss, fontina, gruyere, brie, goat cheese, or other cheese of your choice)
    • Fresh chopped delicate herbs such as parsley, chervil, or basil (chiffonade if possible)
    • Truffle oil or herb oil to finish

1. Preheat oven. You will be using the broiler, so temperature is not important. You just want a solid flame to stay constant.

2. Preheat a nonstick pan on the stovetop. When hot, reduce the flame to medium-low.

3. Add the butter to the pan (enough to coat the bottom) and when hot, add the whisked eggs.

4. Quickly add any optional ingredient of choice and season everything with salt & pepper. Be mindful of what ingredients will take longest to cook. You should not toss in raw kale or raw potatoes. They must be pre-cooked.

5. When the bottom of the frittata has cooked, sprinkle on the cheese and herbs, then pop in the broiler part of the oven to finish cooking. The broiler flame will cook the top of the frittata, but you will have to babysit the pan. When golden brown, it is finished.

6. No flipping required, just ease the frittata from the pan onto a clean cutting board and let cool.

7. When cooled, slice into 6 pieces and place any extras in a Tupperware container.

8. Serve plain or with toast, and ketchup if desired.
  • topazgal
    Options
    Sounds goos! Thanks!
  • topazgal
    Options
    *good