How do you stop yourself from binging?

Options
what are some methods you use to get past the binging crave? Tonight I cleaned my house for an hour and a half and I "forgot" about it. I also try to chew gum!

Replies

• SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I distract myself. One thing I did was learn to knit.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Therapy to learn why I binge
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Following I need this advice as well
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Earn whatever the treat is so like ten squats a walk a bike ride twenty sit ups etc
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    Earn whatever the treat is so like ten squats a walk a bike ride twenty sit ups etc
    ttfnweight wrote: »

That's good point/idea
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What works for me is:
    1. Don't keep trigger foods at home or at work.
    2. Repeat: Don't reward yourself with treats, you're not a dog.
    3. Drink herbal tea or water.
    4. "Binge" on cucumber slices and a dip made from Greek yoghurt (or similar).
    5. Equate what you're about to eat to exercise. For example, log whatever you're about to eat, then see how much exercise it would take to burn it off. That usually is enough to make me stop.
    6. Plan ahead. If you pre-log what you think you'll be eating that day, you'll see there is no room for any extras.
    7. Reward yourself when you don't binge with non-food things. A game, a book you've been wanting, etc.\
    8. Just stop and think. This is the best tip. Binging usually happens because you are panic eating and not thinking first. Just slow down and really examine what it is you're about to do.

Hope this helps. I've struggled with this for 23 years (since teens). It never gets easy, just use what tricks work for you to avoid it. And if it happens, just get back on the horse straight away and don't beat yourself up too much!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    slm0414 wrote: »
    I distract myself. One thing I did was learn to knit.
    Replacing a bad habit with a good habit is a proven way to end the bad habit! Good one. :)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat meals, and only at meals. I eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full. I had to learn how to do this.

I don't keep trigger foods in the house.

I eat everything I want, but portioned out to fit my needs, and nothing I don't like.

I eat a well balanced diet, fat, protein and vegetables at every meal. Fruit and nuts are also top priority.

I plan my meals, shop conscientiously, have a well stocked pantry, cook.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never let myself get hungry. I also realized I used to binge most when I was bored, and primarily when I watched TV. I don't have cable but I do have Netflix, so I limit myself to how much Netflix I'll watch during any given day. I find I now have extra time in the day AND I don't overeat, so it's a win-win. :blush:
  • purpleprincess0422
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and ideas! I'm feeling this way once more today and so I came back to look at it. I might try to snack on a couple of grapes.
  • DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The thing I found that helped me the most was completing my entry for the day. Kinda like crossing something mentally off my do to list.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here!

I've also got a well stocked stash of peppermints and hard candies in case I want something to occupy self for a bit.

I try to think about how I'll feel if I do binge. I'll feel uncomfortable, probably guilty and embarrassed. I'll feel accomplished if I don't binge.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and ideas! I'm feeling this way once more today and so I came back to look at it. I might try to snack on a couple of grapes.

The thing that helped me most is:
    Eating a nutritionally well balanced diet.
    Fat and protein keep me satisfied.
    Include a large bowl of fiber filled veggies + fat (tablespoon olive oil) in my main meal.
    Eat as many calories as possible while still in a deficit.
    Drink water/tea
    Have my favorite treat daily, which in my case is something chocolate.

ETA-treat myself with loving kindness after a binge instead of beating myself up over it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    What works for me is:
    1. Don't keep trigger foods at home or at work.
    2. Repeat: Don't reward yourself with treats, you're not a dog.
    3. Drink herbal tea or water.
    4. "Binge" on cucumber slices and a dip made from Greek yoghurt (or similar).
    5. Equate what you're about to eat to exercise. For example, log whatever you're about to eat, then see how much exercise it would take to burn it off. That usually is enough to make me stop.
    6. Plan ahead. If you pre-log what you think you'll be eating that day, you'll see there is no room for any extras.
    7. Reward yourself when you don't binge with non-food things. A game, a book you've been wanting, etc.\
    8. Just stop and think. This is the best tip. Binging usually happens because you are panic eating and not thinking first. Just slow down and really examine what it is you're about to do.

Hope this helps. I've struggled with this for 23 years (since teens). It never gets easy, just use what tricks work for you to avoid it. And if it happens, just get back on the horse straight away and don't beat yourself up too much!
    Very good list!
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I get on my exercise bike. I play Angry Birds. I sip Diet Miss Swiss (25 cals) and the warmth fills my tummy. I come on MFP. I've ran out of things to clean...seriously, my place has never looked better. So today I rearranged my whole apartment. Tomorrow I'm walking to the library and hopefully going to find a new book to distract me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The best way for me to stop bingeing is to deal with my emotions and my stress head on, no matter how difficult that seems.
  • dangerouscurvs
    dangerouscurvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh... that's a good question! I struggle with this all the time! And I definitely binge more when I'm bord or watching TV.....its a mindless activity, so I fins that I can easily eat half a package of cookies before a commercial! :-\ it's terrible I know! But lately I've been logging on to MFP several times a day...looking at threads and blogs....and getting inspired to stay on track. I also make sure to log everything, even if I'm not proud of it... Because if I don't log my "episodes" I'm not lying to anyone but myself really. I find that it helps me stay accountable. I also have been a lot gentler with my self when I do fall off the wagon....because when I used tobbwat myself up...I'd starve myself for a couple of days, then go crazy and eat everything in sight....feel guilty, then start the cycle all over again! I'd love to have more friends who understand how hard it is to battle with this...I know my boyfriend loves me, but he doesn't understand. And he won't confront me when I'm having trouble, he doesn't like upsetting me, and I can also be pretty snarky when it comes to my food! Lol add me if you'd like, I could use the encouragement, and I will do my best to return the favour!