Calories from a restaurant?

Options
How can I find out how many calories I just ate if I eat at a restaurant that's only located in my hometown? Like if I eat at a seafood restaurant that isn't Red Lobster or a similar nation-wide-chain restaurant? Besides asking for nutritional facts?

Replies

• abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Find the best restaurant equivalent of the item u can think of that's similar in size and quality.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to guesstimate the best you can
  • tamaeus
    tamaeus Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to formulate it? Like if I have a smoked turkey sandwich, it would be the roll for A calories, smoked turkey chunks for B calories, lettuce leaf for C calories, tomato slice for D calories, for a total of (A+B+C+D) calories.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    tamaeus wrote: »
    Is there a way to formulate it? Like if I have a smoked turkey sandwich, it would be the roll for A calories, smoked turkey chunks for B calories, lettuce leaf for C calories, tomato slice for D calories, for a total of (A+B+C+D) calories.

Sure, just log each ingredient separately.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I make a guess and then add about 200 calories. I've cooked for caterers and know how much fat and sugar are added to most restaurant meals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes on one of the many recipe sites and see if you can find something sort of close to what you ate. Then overestimate.
  • neumann16
    neumann16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DWLZ.COM has a lot of the chain restaurants
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to know how much j ate at P.F Changs 2 days ago. It was probably bad...
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Over time you should develop a reasonably good eye for the ingredients and cooking techniques. It helps of you cook. You're not going to be as accurate as if you cooked it yourself but you'll get close enough.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    tamaeus wrote: »

i estimate like that (and then add more for hidden calories) or choose something from a chain that would be close.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since I am still trying to lose weight and calories are important, I actually try to order simpler things so it is easier to figure out.

i.e., grilled salmon on salad (as I am getting good at guessing the weight of a serving).

R