food obsession

Options
Is anyone elsa obsessed with food? Even when I get in WAY over my daily amount of allowed calories (like over 2 X's the amount) all I can think about is food. I want want want sugar, carbs and fat. I start to think about food and the next thing I know something is in my mouth and I'm swallowing it. Anyone with any ideas how I can overcome this obesession I have. Mary

Replies

• cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I am the same way some days!!!
  • AntSteps
    AntSteps Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel your pain haha. I have a really bad sweet tooth and a carb addiction!!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on that one. Try eating a piece of fruit when your having a bad sweet craving and drinking a glass of water. That seems to help me.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    i think a lot of people have this problem...and I believe after all of my life 'dieting' that it will always be a battle..just like drugs or alcohol. This site has helped me SO MUCH...staying in the calorie goal, working out and eating clean help me to stay away from the sweet foods that i love...I've found that now when i do fall off of the healthy wagon that the sweet foods make me feel AWFUL, sick and bloated so I've been remembering the feeling...I hate being in a sugar fog, but i love a workout rush!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The way I got over my obsession with sugar and starchy carbs was to eliminate them.
    It's taken awhile and a lot of tweaking to get to this point but I'm now free of the insanity.
    Moderation doesn't work for me ... elimination does.
    These particular carbs were my alcohol or cigarettes.

I no longer experience the hunger or intense cravings and the binges that came along with that.
    I eat my carbs exclusively in the form of veggies, fruits and occasionally nuts.
  • cas122777
    cas122777 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My downfall is a HUGE sweet tooth! I also have trouble feeling full no matter how much or how frequently i eat. and when i don't feel full, i usually choose chips, candy, cupcakes. In trying to curb the sweet tooth, i have tried to inject fruits and flavored water into my diet. I have only been at this for about a week and have seen a little improvement on my binging. I use flavored water because i don't like plain water no matter how cold it is. I have started to use MIO flavored drops (found near the kool aid mix in the store). I have also tried distracting myself when i feel the need to eat. Maybe go for a walk, do a load of laundry, surf the net. anything that keeps my hands busy and away from the kitchen. Chewing gum helps a little too. keeps my jaw busy and curbs the need to reach for food. for my sweet tooth i have discovered Emerald Almond Dark Chocolate roasted almonds. almonds are great for you and you get the sweet taste. 1/3 cup is the serving size and is about 25 almonds and i found it filled me quickly. try chasing that with a tall glass of water or even milk and see what happens. I wouldn't mind talking back and forth with you on our pages to try and help each other out!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the compulsive overeaters club. We have jackets.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I've had a food obsession most of my life. I can remember being a little girl (around 8 or 9) and standing in front of the open fridge and shoving food in my mouth thinking "I'll show HER!!" I was mad at my mom and somehow I thought pigging out would get back at her. It was the beginning of emotional eating. I get stressed - food. Angry? Food. Sad/depressed/anxious? FOOD! So what I've been doing for the last month (with some success, some back-sliding days) is before I put ANYTHING in my mouth I ask "Amy I hungry?" Now keep in mind that TRUE hunger is a physical sensation. It's not a mental/emotional one. Do you feel lighter? Stomach empty? You don't have to wait for a growling stomach or a hunger-headache - if you go that far you'll make bad food choices. But just be aware of WHY your eating. I saw a quote the other day: "If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution." Very true!!

My biggest problem right now is that I'm unemployed. Sitting around the house, all I have is temptation. The food CALLS to me!! "Melinda... eat me... c'mon... you know u wanna..." :explode: I have been asking around for suggestions on what to do. Of course the obvious answer is to get out of the house. But on 90 degree days I don't wanna walk outside and with no income I can't drive anywhere. :grumble:
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've had a food obsession most of my life. I can remember being a little girl (around 8 or 9) and standing in front of the open fridge and shoving food in my mouth thinking "I'll show HER!!" I was mad at my mom and somehow I thought pigging out would get back at her. It was the beginning of emotional eating. I get stressed - food. Angry? Food. Sad/depressed/anxious? FOOD! So what I've been doing for the last month (with some success, some back-sliding days) is before I put ANYTHING in my mouth I ask "Amy I hungry?" Now keep in mind that TRUE hunger is a physical sensation. It's not a mental/emotional one. Do you feel lighter? Stomach empty? You don't have to wait for a growling stomach or a hunger-headache - if you go that far you'll make bad food choices. But just be aware of WHY your eating. I saw a quote the other day: "If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution." Very true!!

My biggest problem right now is that I'm unemployed. Sitting around the house, all I have is temptation. The food CALLS to me!! "Melinda... eat me... c'mon... you know u wanna..." :explode: I have been asking around for suggestions on what to do. Of course the obvious answer is to get out of the house. But on 90 degree days I don't wanna walk outside and with no income I can't drive anywhere. :grumble:
    I feel your pain. I live in alabama and it's 97 today. Just reading this post made me want to eat! I have found a great protein shake w low cals and put it in blender w ice and almond milk. I make a huge shake out of it. Then I read a good book from the library( I haddnt been to a library since I was in school) . Good luck to you:drinker: