Veggies!

Options
I need to alter my usual shopping list, so I was curious as to what is your favorite veggies and how you like to prepare them?

Thanks!!

Replies

• emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with raw cauliflower... I love steamed asparagus, or broccoli. Roasted brussel sprouts are great too!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    Steamed broccoli for me with a little bit of brown rice
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I never met a veggie I didn't like! Except okra, I have a problem with that one, but I keep trying, lol.

My favorites are broccolette, broccoli rabe, asparagus and kale. I love them steamed, although sometimes I use them in place of pasta. For example, I'll bake myself a bowl of steamed broccoli, and then top it with pasta sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. Way less calories than a bowl of pasta. And the vitamin c in the sauce helps the body absorb the iron from the green veggies.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli for me with a little bit of brown rice

Ooooh, like that too. My favorite brown rice is the basmati kind. YUM.
  • kkhospice
    kkhospice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My fav is steaming California Blend veggies - 2 cups = 50 calories. Sometimes I add 1/4c shredded cheese... depending on the day. I work in an office, and we love our order out lunches :) A few months ago I made the switch to these veggies everyday at lunch and have lost 28 pounds. Of course, I can't contribute all of that to lunch veggies, however, it sure helped me to set the tone for the rest of the day. Add a little exercise and here I am 28 pounds lighter. I'm so glad to have been referred to this site... I'm already seeing how the tracking will be so helpful. Good Luck!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Raw cauliflower, carrots and brocolli. Baked yams and squash (pretty much any most recently butternut). Sauteed asparagus, garlic, red peppers, and green beans. Raw lettuce (none iceberg) except radicchio.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Green Giant Simply Steamed Veggies. My favorite is the vegetable medley. They already have seasonings on them... just pop them in the microwave and you have a great snack or side in minutes! Low cal and delicious.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Raw cauliflower dipped in roasted garlic hummus. Baked Eggplant Gratin using fat free half n half, one egg, low fat ricotta and a bit of marinara sauce. Grilled bell peppers, grilled zucchini, grilled onions, just lightly brushed with evoo. Spinach salad with sliced red onion, tomato and a vinaigrette dressing. Cream of Broccoli soup made with chicken broth, fat free yogurt and a bit of milk. Broccoli Slaw is delicious, with a few dried cranberries, grated carrot, etc. Yum.
  • StrongerMomto7
    StrongerMomto7 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I love yellow and orange bell peppers. I use them in stir fry and I eat them raw in salads or with a veggie dip. :)
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Grilled, Sauted or Roasted Asparagus, Brussle Sprouts, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Broccoli, and Eggplant, Zuchinni, Onion, Peppers, Yellow squash, Spinach olive oil and garlic. Add it to sauce for speghetti or as a side dish. By themselves or all together.
  • blackpearlgrl
    blackpearlgrl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love steamed spinach. Baked asparagus just spray olive spray and dash salt. Bell peppers and onions and garlic. I feel that the more veggies I eat the less hungrier plus less cravings for sugary foods. Especially if I get some in at breakfast. I try to balance by having raw and cooked veggies for the day. For example a salad for lunch and cooked veggies for dinner. This way I get more nutrition in. I am new to this and trying things out.
  • blackpearlgrl
    blackpearlgrl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love steamed spinach. Baked asparagus just spray olive spray and dash salt. Bell peppers and onions and garlic. I feel that the more veggies I eat the less hungrier plus less cravings for sugary foods. Especially if I get some in at breakfast. I try to balance by having raw and cooked veggies for the day. For example a salad for lunch and cooked veggies for dinner. This way I get more nutrition in. I am new to this and trying things out.
  • victoriashea
    victoriashea Posts: 112
    Options
    Did you know that Americans only consume 25% of the known edible foods on our planet? When it comes to veggies and fruits, taste the rainbow! Try everything at least twice, prepared in two different ways. Maybe even three times.
    A huge pitfall for dieters is that they start to think of a salad as a wimpy pile of rabbit food. Exploooore...
  • Cara34
    Cara34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i love celery raw, dip in hummus or peanut butter if you want some protein. Baby spinach and arugula are also really great to use in salads. Romaine is good to if you wan t to get away from using just iceberg- its nice and crunchy, but iceberg doesn't have as many vitamins as darker kinds of lettuce.