Protein supplement

Hi everyone. I wanted to hear from all of you everyone MFPers on what protein powder you recommend a supplement. Is there something that would be safe for me to take and also my 11 year old son? While I am trying to lean out, he needs extra calories to gain some weight and be able to play soccer at competitive level. Could I do a light shake for me and make it high calorie for him with the same powder ( perhaps add full fat milk and a bit better?)? Or do you think protein supplements aren't a great idea for a preteen?

Replies

• c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Oh and something tasty and not grainy please...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Protein powder is not a supplement. It's a food.

There are a few myths saying "protein powder causes kidney stones" etc, but that is complete trash.

I'm going to assume you want a whey protein (whether it's concentrate or isolate is up to you). Some reliable brands are;

Optimum Nutrition. MTS. MyProtein. MuscleTech. MusclePharm. Isoflex. Isopure. BSN. Cellucor. Jym. Dymatize. BPI. Obviously, there are more.

As for your son, I always recommend consuming whole foods over a powder. He should consuming 95% of his diet from whole foods, and perhaps a protein shake once or twice a week.

• I can't comment on if it is a good idea for your son but I use Body Fortress Whey protein powder from Walmart. It's 25g of protein a scoop and the tub I buy is typically $19-$25 depending on if it is on sale. I drink a scoop with milk almost every day and it lasts me about a month.
    I buy the chocolate and I think it tastes just like the nesquick chocolate milk mix I used to drink as a kid. If I do a smoothie, I use the vanilla flavour because I find the fruit masks the taste. There are a bunch of other flavours though (cookies & cream, chocolate peanut butter, strawberry etc)
    The tub recommends 6-8 oz of liquid for 1 scoop I think? I found it to be way too clumpy with so little liquid. I typically use 12-14 oz of milk with 1 scoop.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    You should really ask his pediatrician or a pediatric dietitian.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited September 2015
    A couple of times a year, I go on a short-term, high-protein diet. I try to eat as much real food as possible, but I usually need to add protein powder to get to my goal. The last time, I tried Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb. The plain flavor is bland (in a good way). The only flavor I've tried was Creamy Vanilla, which was reasonably good. I blended it with lots of ice to make it thicker and because calories were a concern, probably used half the amount suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Powder-Creamy-Vanilla/dp/B000E95HP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442087572&sr=1-1&keywords=isopure+zero+carb+protein

I assume you spoke to your son's pediatrician about the protein powder.
  • c613477
    I did speak with the pediatrician and she suggested carnation instant with whole milk every am. She said he needed to gain weight and that was a good additional intake of calories. I looked at the ingredients and thought it was awful nutrionally mostly sugar calories. I guess I should ask for a consult with a nutritionist since pediatricians seem to know little about nutrition. I will keep him with his smoothie I make with whole milk banana and peanut butter as a snack after school until that.
    I will just start some protein powder for me. Thanks for the brand recommendations.
  • ralphdimarco1
    ralphdimarco1 Posts: 12 Member
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein is one of the best on the market..
  • c613477
    Thank you. I only intend to add it to up my protein intake on weight lifting days. I have notched I felt better wherever my protein is at least 35% of my intake.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    c613477 wrote: »
    I did speak with the pediatrician and she suggested carnation instant with whole milk every am. She said he needed to gain weight and that was a good additional intake of calories. I looked at the ingredients and thought it was awful nutrionally mostly sugar calories. I guess I should ask for a consult with a nutritionist since pediatricians seem to know little about nutrition. I will keep him with his smoothie I make with whole milk banana and peanut butter as a snack after school until that.
    I will just start some protein powder for me. Thanks for the brand recommendations.

You're welcome. Glad to hear you checked with your doctor. I, too, wish they knew more about nutrition, but I guess it's hard to keep up with all the developments.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

So you got advice from his doctor who specializes in children but decided to disregard it to ask online? Okay then.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2015

It's not the best stuff, it's not the worse. I used it to get through the first few weeks after I had surgery because I didn't have time to research, and needed something easy since I live alone. I did much better this surgery than my first when I didn't do as much thinking about what to eat afterwards.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    I would go with a "blended protein". Whey protein ( is good for its intended purpose) post workout because it metabolizes quickly. Whereas blended (whey, egg, casein) breaks down much slower.
    It just depends on the intended use TBH.
    Adding millk or fruit to the shake can add plenty of calories.
  • c613477
    elphie754 wrote: »

So you got advice from his doctor who specializes in children but decided to disregard it to ask online? Okay then.

She simply told me that it was cheap. And it became very clear she knows little about nutrition when she was said that vitamins and milk is all a teen needs to grow. I am in a wait list for another pediatrician. It is sad to say that the are plenty of doctors that really need training or education in the nutrition aspect. I want asking for any Metcalf advice on the forum.

• c613477
    cmtigger wrote: »

It's not the best stuff, it's not the worse. I used it to get through the first few weeks after I had surgery because I didn't have time to research, and needed something easy since I live alone. I did much better this surgery than my first when I didn't do as much thinking about what to eat afterwards.

Interesting, so you used it as meal replacement? The couple times my son tried it he wasn't fan of it. What did you mix it with?
  • c613477
    arb037 wrote: »
    I would go with a "blended protein". Whey protein ( is good for its intended purpose) post workout because it metabolizes quickly. Whereas blended (whey, egg, casein) breaks down much slower.
    It just depends on the intended use TBH.
    Adding millk or fruit to the shake can add plenty of calories.

That is great info. So for me to get my macros up a blended would be better? I do lift heavy three times a week but not sure of being site to time a shake right after the workout.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »

Interesting, so you used it as meal replacement? The couple times my son tried it he wasn't fan of it. What did you mix it with?

Milk, like the directions say. It was breakfast every day.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    White fish, liver, steak, chicken, the list goes on get your protein from food first before powder.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    I've been wondering which is best to mix my protein powder with. Directions say to mix with milk or water. I've been using water since I'm trying to lose weight. I'm eating my meals daily so I'm using my protein shake as a snack of sorts.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Also I've heard countless times that eating anything after 7pm is counter productive, is this true?
  • TeresaMarie46
    Optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein is one of the best on the market..

Whom do you purchase it from?