im the only one:(

I'm the only one in my house trying to lose weight. Its just me my husband and our 6 year old. Is anyone else in this situation cause i find it hard to cook for my family when it really not what i should eat.....pastas, breads,carbs...ect....

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    You can eat carbs. You can what they eat. Just eat less of it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Are you planning to eat separate meals for the next 50 years? If not, don't do it now. Barring medical necessity, there's no reason to make separate meals.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you planning to eat separate meals for the next 50 years? If not, don't do it now. Barring medical necessity, there's no reason to make separate meals.

Yes this^^
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    I understand you except it's more of everyone around me eats poorly. It's hard, for instance, doing family meals when they mainly consist of rice and gravy lol. You opt for mostly salad and people are like EAT MORE.

Maybe you can slowly incorporate a healthy cooking style that everyone loves?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I make meat, veggies, and a side (pasta, rice, potatoes). Some days I eat the extra side, some days I don't, but otherwise we eat the same thing.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    I'm the only one in our household trying to lose weight, (not that I'm the only overweight person). I don't eat different meals to anybody else, I just try to make smarter choices. I'm not so strict about low carb, however, I'd rather skip the bread and have extra filling. Or if it's a roast dinner maybe have a small potato so as not to feel deprived but have more of the meat and veg. It's been okay so far. And I want to be in this for the long run, so I'm trying to eat how I intend to continue from now on end.

I have two little kids too. One is only 2 years and the other 10 months. So I'm trying to implement a balanced diet on them too. It can't be fair to eat sensibly myself and then to give them anything that I'm not going to let past my lips.

It is a struggle with willpower sometimes. But you just gotta work through it. I even have treats as long as they fit my daily goal.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    I make separate meals for my husband and myself. If he perceives anything as being "healthy" he refuses to eat it. And I'm not going to eat 1/2 cup of his food to fit in my calories and be starving. Sometimes you can make it work to make the same meal and modify it for different tastes/wants and sometimes you can't.

The whole "you can eat the same thing just eat less" just doesn't work when you can only have a tiny portion for the calories.
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    I hear ya. My boyfriend is a 6'5 naturally strong and fit guy who eats whatever he wants. I just know to eat half of what he eats and exercise. I went gluten free almost 2 years ago as well so I cook around that. He doesn't mind at all. Even all out healthy meals he doesn't complain. He can always make it more satisfying for him with condiments and cheese. You can do this, even if your husband isn't. Willpower will be tested but you can eat food and lose weight, low cal diets aren't good for our bodies. Check out eat more to weigh less.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Eat less, don't eat the carb side dish, try to steer towards healthier main courses (like chicken instead of lasagna)...

At dessert time, you eat fruit while they gobble down ice cream.

R
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    I just change the portions of food. For example, let's say I'm making chicken alfredo for dinner:

Everyone gets noodles & sauce & chicken & veggies. I dish myself less noodles & more chicken and weigh the sauce. I dish myself a lot more veggies. We are all still eating the same foods, but I have higher portions of protein & veg and a smaller portion of carbs & fats.

The same can be done for tons of meals. If we are having tacos, I'll put my taco meat in a salad instead of in a shell.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    I'm in that position. But I'm the one who cooks, so I make things I can eat. (Yes, I know, I can eat pasta- but for me the calories are too high for what I get for it). There honestly are plenty of dinners that are okay for people trying to lose weight but that don't have "low calorie!" written all over them. Tonight we had chicken and broccoli wrapped in fillo dough, for example. Had some cheese in it, a little bacon, eggs. Yummy, everyone liked it, I could have a nice sized serving of it. You may just need to experiment with new recipes and find new go-to meals. But they're out there.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I'm the only one in my house trying to lose weight also. Since I only eat dinner at home M-F I make sure I have enough calories to accommodate what the hubs cooks at night. I make sure to weigh/measure whatever I'm eating when he cooks dinner.

Also, you can eat bread, pasta, etc & still lose weight.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

This.
    Eat less of the high cal options and more veggies on the side, but eat the same meals as the rest of the family. MFP is all about finding the balance within your calorie allotment in a sustainable, everyday manner.
    It can be done. You can do this.
  • rainah84
    rainah84 Posts: 42 Member
    I cook and eat with my husband and 12yr old son: pasta, burgers, etc. I just make sure to fill on salad and fruits, which they're happy cuz more leftovers for them.
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    This thread makes me appreciate my husband A LOT! He has used mfp in the past so understands what I'm trying to do but is not currently fussed about losing weight himself. Plus he is taller than me and more active so can eat way more.
    BUT he does pretty much all of the cooking in our house (evening meals); comes to get my phone, weighs and logs everything he cooks for me and just puts more on his own plate. If we're having bread or something calorie dense he will check that I'm ok with how much he's giving so I dont get a shock with the calories - I'd never realised quite how luck I am until reading things like this!
    AND I'm vegetarian and he's not so sometimes he cooks two separate things! Most of the time he eats veggie though <3
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    ghoti_fish wrote: »
    This thread makes me appreciate my husband A LOT! He has used mfp in the past so understands what I'm trying to do but is not currently fussed about losing weight himself. Plus he is taller than me and more active so can eat way more.
    BUT he does pretty much all of the cooking in our house (evening meals); comes to get my phone, weighs and logs everything he cooks for me and just puts more on his own plate. If we're having bread or something calorie dense he will check that I'm ok with how much he's giving so I dont get a shock with the calories - I'd never realised quite how luck I am until reading things like this!
    AND I'm vegetarian and he's not so sometimes he cooks two separate things! Most of the time he eats veggie though <3

He sounds like an absolute diamond!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    ghoti_fish wrote: »
    This thread makes me appreciate my husband A LOT!

Well, I do hope he knows he's appreciated. To me appreciation Is worth way more than anything material.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I make the same meals for everyone but I leave out certain bits of the meal on mine and my hubbies plates. Say I'm making home made turkey cheese burgers. I'll serve ours without a bun but with more garlic fried mushrooms and sweet potato chips. If it is pizza, we eat 1/4 and have it with salad.
    You need to make this fit for life, it shouldn't be really hard work to prepare your meals.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You can eat carbs. You can what they eat. Just eat less of it.

Exactly this.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Same as many in this thread, I am the only one trying to lose weight. Me and my partner we both cook, he does not take into consideration my calories intake so when he cooks, I eat less (if packed with calories ) but I don't cook different meals often. I try to cook healthy food, and measure what goes in my plate.
    For me personally it's not just only about losing weight, I'm looking also into eating healthy as I want a change in lifestyle, but yes, you still can loose weight eating most of what you want, just watch the amount.