Cauliflower rice?

Options
Just wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on how to make cauliflower rice? Also... if you have tried it... is it nice? Is it filling?

Replies

• taskey
    taskey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Never tried it as I am not a fan of cauliflower but people say it is good

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cauliflower-rice
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on how to make cauliflower rice? Also... if you have tried it... is it nice? Is it filling?

It's very low calorie with lots of fiber......some people find that sort of thing filling (not me). I need protein and fat for satiety.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I really like it. It's not rice, but it's not as far from rice/grain-tasting as you might think. It kind of reminds me of cous cous or quinoa. I do a rough chop of the cauliflower and then pulse it in a food processor until it is a rice like size/consistency. Don't put it in there for too long or it starts to get mushy.

I like this recipe a lot: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html
  • dazlindiva630347
    dazlindiva630347 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I really like it. It's not rice, but it's not as far from rice/grain-tasting as you might think. It kind of reminds me of cous cous or quinoa. I do a rough chop of the cauliflower and then pulse it in a food processor until it is a rice like size/consistency. Don't put it in there for too long or it starts to get mushy.

I like this recipe a lot: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

Thanks for the advice.... Cant wait to give it a try!!! I love cauliflower ☺
  • dakotamyers2010
    dakotamyers2010 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like it, it does a better job at pretending to be rice than you'd think. I like to grate a head of cauliflower and then just cook it as I need it..I've used it to make faux "fried rice" and it was delicious!
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    you can also mash boiled cauliflower and use it in place of potatoes on a cottage or shepherds pie
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love it and I don't eat low carb.

I grate a full large head of cauliflower then stir fry it in sesame oil or a fiery chipolte oil for 4-5 minutes, top with vegetable curry. Amazing, I had it last night and the night before :)

For egg fried heat the oil in the pan add 2 beaten eggs then add the cauliflower.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it and don't eat low carb either!
  • dazlindiva630347
    dazlindiva630347 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it this weekend with my treat curry!! I like idea of cauli Mash aswell!!! Thank you everyone....
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love cauliflower rice with a curry! I put mine in the oven and bake until golden brown and slightly crispy...
    My husband even loves it, and he is not low carb and usually hates cauliflower!
  • hanalou1992
    hanalou1992 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try a cauliflower pizza too
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I made "cauliflower cheese pucks" by whipping up riced cauliflower, finely diced onion, and just a little bit of cheese and then portioning it into a silicon muffin tray and popping in the freezer. I bagged the frozen pucks for a quick and easy 67 calorie side dish--zapped in the microwave for about a minute. And with an over easy egg on top, it's like cheese grits for breakfast!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I made "cauliflower cheese pucks" by whipping up riced cauliflower, finely diced onion, and just a little bit of cheese and then portioning it into a silicon muffin tray and popping in the freezer. I bagged the frozen pucks for a quick and easy 67 calorie side dish--zapped in the microwave for about a minute. And with an over easy egg on top, it's like cheese grits for breakfast!

Love that! I usually just freeze the cauliflower rice in individual portioned baggies, but the onion, cheese and scallion would be something to add once I defrost. This is the best!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Not to sound stupid but do you cook the cauliflower first or bake it after you add the cheese and onion?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try mashed cauliflower too. YUMMY
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have made a taco casserole type using cauliflower rice that I steamed in the microwave and tossed with a can of rotel , diced sauteed chicken, onion and green pepper, a bit of cream cheese, and just a bit of shredded cheese. Mix together and top with shredded cheese and bake. served with sour cream, guac, and jalapenos on the side.
  • Saeraphine
    Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I have made a taco casserole type using cauliflower rice that I steamed in the microwave and tossed with a can of rotel , diced sauteed chicken, onion and green pepper, a bit of cream cheese, and just a bit of shredded cheese. Mix together and top with shredded cheese and bake. served with sour cream, guac, and jalapenos on the side.

This. Sounds. Amazing. Thank you!
  • xBijinx
    xBijinx Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try it as rice. I love it as fake mashed potatoes. It's the only way I'll eat it now. I have a pizza crust recipe around somewhere I still haven't tried
  • Madwhizzard
    Madwhizzard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells it frozen, it's great:

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-riced-cauliflower
  • yellowheart
    yellowheart Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I find cauliflower rice a wonderful substitute to normal rice in curries, burritos, chili dishes etc. One cauliflower head will typically provide me with 3-4 servings, and I prepare it all at once (freezing the rice works well). I microwave the "rice" serving for a couple of mins then fry with low-cal spray for about 5 mins - adding in turmeric and cumin to add a nice flavour and aroma hit to it. It's a great accompaniment to dishes that are typically strong in flavour already.

It does smell a bit strong when you microwave it though, but the flavour of it doesn't come through!