Eat more to lose weight...

Options
We're always told to eat less and workout more in order to lose weight, but has anyone ever heard of eating more to lose weight? Of course the foods you eat would be foods that are clean, but instead of the typical 1200 calorie diet (the most recommended calorie plan for women) I'm considering taking my calories up to 1600-1700 a day. What is everyone else doing?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It was really popular around here a year or two ago. I don't see it as much but there are definitely a lot of people that would fall into that category. There was a group but I don't know if you can search groups right now.

I believe in eating as much as I can while still maintaining a moderate weight loss and have been pretty successful with it.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn

That is latest weight loss craze that has been working pretty well

• Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who can't eat just 1200 cals . I usually eat 1800-2200 a day. But I burn about 700 cals in the gym , daily .
  • ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    Of course the foods you eat would be foods that are clean

So, be sure to wash your veggies, right?
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn

This is simple scientific fact. You need some kind of smiley for your post.

Eating more = losing less, period. There might be other reasons eating more is a good idea but weight loss isn't one of them.

Osric
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has nothing to do with weight loss. If you up your calories you will lose less weight it is ALL calories in vs calories out.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I eat more one day, it seems to almost jump start a weight loss when I've stalled, but that could be coincidence.

I need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I'm 5'8", about 160lbs, and eat about 1500-1600 kcal on most days but I do go up to 2200 and down to 900 (on a rare semi fasting day).
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have found that if I eat more one day, it seems to almost jump start a weight loss when I've stalled, but that could be coincidence..

It is a coincidence. Your caloric deficit has caused your weight loss.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In a sense, yes. The more you exercise, the more you can eat. ;)

Here's the group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Be sure to wash ur veggies. ..HAHA
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who can't eat just 1200 cals . I usually eat 1800-2200 a day. But I burn about 700 cals in the gym , daily .

Same - except I am pretty sure I don't burn 700 calories working out. I ate 1600-1700 calories/day to lose 10 pounds. I eat about 2000 calories/day to maintain.

Bekah818 - when entering your goals did you put 2lbs./week? You can always change it to 0.5 - 1 pound a week.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight. You will know what your deficit is by your TDEE. If you exercise you can probably create a larger deficit to eat slightly more. I think when people talk about "eating more to loose weight" they are referring to volume. Not more calories. Eg, eating loads of fruit and veg will give you a high volume, nutrient dense, filling meal with fairly low calories compared to having a pack of buscuits which will make you hungry an hour or so later etc. Eat more in volume, calories have to consistently under.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Eat less than you burn

This is simple scientific fact. You need some kind of smiley for your post.

Eating more = losing less, period. There might be other reasons eating more is a good idea but weight loss isn't one of them.

Osric

And the principle of eat more to lose weight does not contradict that. It is about not starving yourself to lose weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    You have to be in a calorie deficit to loose weight. You will know what your deficit is by your TDEE. If you exercise you can probably create a larger deficit to eat slightly more. I think when people talk about "eating more to loose weight" they are referring to volume. Not more calories. Eg, eating loads of fruit and veg will give you a high volume, nutrient dense, filling meal with fairly low calories compared to having a pack of buscuits which will make you hungry an hour or so later etc. Eat more in volume, calories have to consistently under.

@slideaway1 - no. They aren't talking about volume. It's about eating more calories while still staying under your TDEE and not slashing the, to some arbitrary number like 1200.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

@slideaway1 - no. They aren't talking about volume. It's about eating more calories while still staying under your TDEE and not slashing the, to some arbitrary number like 1200.

Oh ok. Thanks for that. I assumed that everyone just ate 250-500 calories below there TDEE anyway to loose weight instead of picking the lowest number possible to loose weight and just about survive. In that case I would recommend eating as many calories as you can whilst still being in a healthy deficit. Probably more sustainable and will spare muscle loss from aggressive dieting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have found that if I eat more one day, it seems to almost jump start a weight loss when I've stalled, but that could be coincidence..

It is a coincidence. Your caloric deficit has caused your weight loss.

I love those reliable coincidences.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I never really understood the 'eat more to lose more' concept because it just doesn't make sense. But I think the idea was that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight... because you'll feel less deprived and you'll be more likely to stick to it.

I mean, I've never eaten under 1650 calories (don't eat back exercise calories though because that's just never accurate). I'm pretty much at my goal weight and I've maintained for over a year... and I didn't lose all my muscle mass in the process either.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've heard of it. Though I cannot deny that I often drop weight after eating a big meal the night before, I do not buy into the idea that eating more food is the key to weight loss...because it just isn't. If anyone has investigated why some people drop after eating a bigger meal, I haven't heard about it. It's a bizarre thing. Makes no sense, yet happens. I'd like to know why.

In any event, eating more all day, every day...that's the path to weigh gain, not loss. In general. If you can eat more calories and still lose, though, you totally should!

I do think that eating healthier foods is a great idea. Not only is it more nutritious, but you get to eat a lot more food and stay really full, so it's easier to diet.