excuses

Options
Have any of you found yourself wanting to get in the habit of doing something, particularly working out and eating healthier..BUT for whatever reason you make excuses for yourself? I find that it's easy to do and I know I have once upon a time. Actually.. I have today. I made the excuse I have too much studying and homework to attend the gym today so I skipped the gym. Now I'm trying to come up with a backup plan so I get some form of exercise in. Tell me your guy's thoughts, experiences, stories, share with me how you conquer your excuses and JUST DO IT (which is one of my motto)

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I use to talk myself out of things in the past ....but my determination over rules that now ....I hope you can find a balance ...wishing you much success :)
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I use to talk myself out of things in the past ....but my determination over rules that now ....I hope you can find a balance ...wishing you much success :)
    Awe thank you! Same to you! & I hope I can as well because it can be a struggle at times
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    You're very welcome ..Thanks ...just remind yourself how you will feel after you workout ...and how much healthier you will be ...that helps me greatly
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Do you mind if I add you as a friend, I just have a good feeling you will be a great motivator for me.. Especially since I know you have had the same experience with excuses lol.. I think knowing how you handled it will only help me..i admire how positive you are and I honestly need someone to stick on me.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    You're very welcome ..Thanks ...just remind yourself how you will feel after you workout ...and how much healthier you will be ...that helps me greatly
    Read the above lol sorry
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Habit forming is really challenging.

One thing you can consider doing is breaking a habit down into simpler components and tracking it so that you can build from that point.

I'll give you one example that is going to sound kind of ridiculous at the surface but hopefully it will make sense. I've had clients struggle with fruit and vegetable intake because of food availability. They run out of fruits and vegetables so they don't end up eating adequate servings of fruits and vegetables and the overall quality of their diet diminishes and calories go up as a result.

In some cases, setting the goal to eat 5 servings of vegetables and 2 fruits per day didn't work because of this availability issue.

Setting a goal to get to the grocery story twice per week on a specific day of the week, greatly helped this issue because it was a requisite habit to build prior to accomplishing the fruit/vegetable consumption habit, for these people in this situation. (The goal being to purchase enough fruits and vegetables to last at least until the next grocery day if not a bit longer).

I don't know if this information is helpful to you at all but if you can find a way to simplify your habits and build them one at a time in a manner that it's easy to execute (select simpler habits at first) you might find that process useful.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Do you mind if I add you as a friend, I just have a good feeling you will be a great motivator for me.. Especially since I know you have had the same experience with excuses lol.. I think knowing how you handled it will only help me..i admire how positive you are and I honestly need someone to stick on me.

You are more than welcome to add me ....I love being a cheerleader to anyone on this journey ....awww thanks I try my best to be positive ...there is no reason to be negative it doesn't get you very far in life :)
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Habit forming is really challenging.

One thing you can consider doing is breaking a habit down into simpler components and tracking it so that you can build from that point.

I'll give you one example that is going to sound kind of ridiculous at the surface but hopefully it will make sense. I've had clients struggle with fruit and vegetable intake because of food availability. They run out of fruits and vegetables so they don't end up eating adequate servings of fruits and vegetables and the overall quality of their diet diminishes and calories go up as a result.

In some cases, setting the goal to eat 5 servings of vegetables and 2 fruits per day didn't work because of this availability issue.

Setting a goal to get to the grocery story twice per week on a specific day of the week, greatly helped this issue because it was a requisite habit to build prior to accomplishing the fruit/vegetable consumption habit, for these people in this situation.

I don't know if this information is helpful to you at all but if you can find a way to simplify your habits and build them one at a time in a manner that it's easy to execute (select simpler habits at first) you might find that process useful.

OMG are you a personal trainer because I'm getting ready to become one myself..& I would love to add you as well because everything you said made sense. I can use your mentality and help and guidance.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yup. I used to have all kinds of reasons why I could not lose weight. My metabolism is too slow, I am just energy efficient. There must be some underlying health issue. After all I get tons of exercise and eat reasonably so it can't be just calories. I'm tired, my knees hurt, my back hurts, it's too hot outside, today is a special day I deserve this (insert huge high calorie food of the moment). I work hard I should have a break or a treat or a reward or...

Yup. Turned out that facing the truth that I simply was eating far more than I was burning was the key. I don't accept excuses anymore. My weight loss slowed down last month... wanted to blame it on hormones and salt. Nope. I needed to take a harder look at my fitness settings and pay more attention to my daily net calories.

Sometimes people view being honest as negativity. People like to hear nice things, compliments and platitudes rather than truths that might be uncomfortable. Facing up to your own flaws and mistakes and admitting our own bad habits is a huge step in being able to change things.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Yup. I used to have all kinds of reasons why I could not lose weight. My metabolism is too slow, I am just energy efficient. There must be some underlying health issue. After all I get tons of exercise and eat reasonably so it can't be just calories. I'm tired, my knees hurt, my back hurts, it's too hot outside, today is a special day I deserve this (insert huge high calorie food of the moment). I work hard I should have a break or a treat or a reward or...

Yup. Turned out that facing the truth that I simply was eating far more than I was burning was the key. I don't accept excuses anymore. My weight loss slowed down last month... wanted to blame it on hormones and salt. Nope. I needed to take a harder look at my fitness settings and pay more attention to my daily net calories.

Sometimes people view being honest as negativity. People like to hear nice things, compliments and platitudes rather than truths that might be uncomfortable. Facing up to your own flaws and mistakes and admitting our own bad habits is a huge step in being able to change things.
    Love it. Thank you for your personal story and Insight. You are so correct about people not wanting to be honest.. Because it's associated with negative attitude. I think more people hate admitting their flaws and want someone to tell them it's okay.. And truth be told that's how come so many people struggle with weight because they are comfortable. Please free to add me.. Would appreciate your insight!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I used to do this regularly! I'd say to myself "It's too cold to go to the gym today" or "I'm tired from work so I deserve a rest tonight". Pretty soon, I was skipping the gym constantly and at the same time, relaxed my eating habits drastically and gained 28lbs, eek! I'm not saying it's not okay to skip the gym and make an excuse every now and again - we are only human and sometimes we do have to give ourselves a break! But I think it's important to dig deep and find that willpower of steel and use it! Because we'll thank ourselves for it after :]
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I used to do this regularly! I'd say to myself "It's too cold to go to the gym today" or "I'm tired from work so I deserve a rest tonight". Pretty soon, I was skipping the gym constantly and at the same time, relaxed my eating habits drastically and gained 28lbs, eek! I'm not saying it's not okay to skip the gym and make an excuse every now and again - we are only human and sometimes we do have to give ourselves a break! But I think it's important to dig deep and find that willpower of steel and use it! Because we'll thank ourselves for it after :]

Yes!!!! Awesome. I've used those same excuses before too and eating stayed the same which like you is why I gained weight. I think you are very right.. We have to maintain some willpower.. It's hard but I'll find it. No excuses. I want changes=) thank you for sharing
  • DB4444
    DB4444 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi all. Just wanted to comment that this thread was super motivating! I'm coming off a summer where I completely fell off the wagon. Workouts cut due to a torn calf and diet suffered because I was bummed, on vacation and a bunch of the excuses listed already. I just weighed in this morning (eek!) and am ready to commit again. My short term goal is to log everyday for 30 days starting today. I was reading the boards for motivation and this post was great - I will revisit when the inevitable excuses pop up. Thanks again and please feel free to add me (friend me?) if you'd like - I haven't been active in the boards before and don't have many contacts on here.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    DB4444 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wanted to comment that this thread was super motivating! I'm coming off a summer where I completely fell off the wagon. Workouts cut due to a torn calf and diet suffered because I was bummed, on vacation and a bunch of the excuses listed already. I just weighed in this morning (eek!) and am ready to commit again. My short term goal is to log everyday for 30 days starting today. I was reading the boards for motivation and this post was great - I will revisit when the inevitable excuses pop up. Thanks again and please feel free to add me (friend me?) if you'd like - I haven't been active in the boards before and don't have many contacts on here.
    I'm so happy my disussion was motivating, for some reason I felt like this would be a an awesome topic of discussion!! & I'm glad you agree! Please always feel free to stop back and read and share. I think it's great!!! I hope many more people feel inclined to use this to motivate them as well=)