Continue to lose when stopping MFP and went below goal

Hi--was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I reached my goal weight about a month ago and then stopped using MFP.

I lost another 5 pounds. I took a long time to lose the weight (30 lbs over a year) so it's strange that I dropped so much now. I will start logging again I think. Would love to hear what happened right after you reached goal and stopped logging.

Thanks!

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    I didn't stop logging when I hit goal weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I didn't stop logging either... although I have taken complete logging breaks yet maintained goal weight within a few pounds.

You just weren't eating enough hence the loss.

• ksbitany
    ksbitany Posts: 1 Member
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I didn't stop logging when I hit goal weight.

• Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    I hit goal right about the time I had a Drs appointment. My Dr said I was at a good weight and didn't need to lose anymore or log further. I told her I would continue to log at least for a while because otherwise I was likely to continue to lose. And in fact, even with logging I have lost another 2 pounds in 3ish weeks. Still trying to figure out maintenance calories, especially when working in a special event.
  • MissJay75
    Transitioning to maintenance is tricky. Some people gain a little right away as their body replenishes glycogen stores. Some people lose a little more because their bodies tend to lag a little behind. Meaning what they eat this week won't really show up on the scale until next week or even the week after.

People see the scale move, and change and add or subtract calories to 'fix' it. The truth is, if you have been logging consistently throughout your whole weight loss, you should have a very good idea of what your TDEE is, and finding your maintenance calories should be a pretty simple math equation. I would start eating at those calories, wait a month or so for things to even out, and see if you hold steady from there.

Ideally, as you get close to maintenance, you slow down your deficit to help make the transition smoother.
  • Pbrookf
    Pbrookf Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for the thoughts. I feel like I don't actually know my TDEE because I was losing weight (not a very linear trend) for a year.

So I just started logging again and increased the calories. My calorie goal while losing was the amount of calories that would supposedly maintain my goal weight so I thought I would just not change anything after reaching goal. Also thought I'd have a sense of how much to eat and not need to log (figured I could just go back to logging if I ended up going over a certain amount).

I'm now considering getting a Fitbit so I can better determine what my activity is burning (sort of strange that I want one after reaching goal). :|
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Not strange at all, I got one half way through weight loss as a reward...
  • MissJay75
    I think accurate logging is just as important - if not more - when you are trying to figure our maintenance. You have so much less room for error. I love my HRM. I want a good idea of what my burn is so I can eat back as many calories as I can!
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    If you stopped logging then you must still have been eating in a deficit, albeit a smaller one. Without a food diary, it's impossible to say though.

I've kept logging since hitting goal (April). I don't bother with TDEE - I still just eat MFP cals plus any exercise cals I earn (as I did when losing). I need to experiment with increasing my MFP-calculated maintainance cals as I've lost a further 4lbs since April, very slowly but steadily, so I guess I need a tiny bit more food per day.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I kept logging because I needed that accountability to myself. Seeing those numbers in black and white motivates me.

After I hit my goal of 125, I continued to lose without trying. I guess my body decided that my maintenance range was going to be 119-121 because with little effort, I have been in this range for over six months. I keep logging so I know how much of my exercise calories I can eat!
  • Bwx
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    I am really close to my goal weight now...The last time I hit my goal weight, unlike you, I quit logging and gained everything back and then some. This time, I plan on logging in anyway...Geez, probably for the rest of my life. All the best to you.
  • Pbrookf
    Pbrookf Posts: 13 Member
    I wish I could log without seeing the calories on that day (as a trial to see how much I am eating without being influenced). I am now completely eating more at the end of the day just because there are calories left.

RadiantChange, the first time I lost some weight and then stopped logging, I gained ALL the weight back. So this time it's a it different (and it's only been a bit over a month).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    After a year you should have a good idea of your portion sizes.

Eat to those, but weigh and take notes throughout the day. Log into MFP at the end of the day.

I have been maintaining for a few years, with brief trips back to log if I am gaining or losing ( usually the latter), and will sometimes collect a whole weeks worth of data before entering it.
    Just keeps me accountable and aware.

Try logging at the end of the day.

Cheers, h.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    I was at goal weight about 3/4 weeks ago and was gonna do a recomp but I have no patience and still with some body fat to lose I've decided to keep losing weight until I hit 20% body fat then I'm going to bulk so for me it isn't about just sticking to my weight im taking it further and gonna eventually start building muscle :)