Electronic Food Scale!

Options

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I use my scale regularly but i fruit didn't dawn on me, lol, but I have been known to weigh prepackaged items to see if it really is what it says, that started from measuring all the chicken and beef in packages to see if the store lied!!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Can I just double check with you guys - what exactly should I be weighing? Literally every thing?

If I have a ready-meal and it has calories on the pack, can I accept that and log as such? Just wanting to clarify exactly what I should be weighing! :D Thanks
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Packaged food is not accurate either, it can be off as much as 20%. I weigh everything.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Packaged food is not accurate either, it can be off as much as 20%. I weigh everything.
    So with packaged food - Scan it on the bardcode scanner - weigh the package and then enter the grams in to the tracker? Sorry - new to it! :D

If I am out and I buy a prepackaged sandwich, am I okay to simply log the calories on this box in this case? :]
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I weigh ready meals too, as it's now a habit. I put my plate on the scale and tare between items (not separate items in the ready meal though!), and use the pack data per 100g.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    @PinkPixiexox The 20% error margin doesn't apply to the UK. You will still have to double check the entries though, even if you scan it. I make my own entries so that I know they are right, and don't share them with the general database. Once you've added something, it will stay in your foods (recent, my foods or whatever the other one's called).
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I scan and add it before cooking, then weigh as I'm serving and tweak the entry.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    So with packaged food - Scan it on the bardcode scanner - weigh the package and then enter the grams in to the tracker? Sorry - new to it! :D

If I am out and I buy a prepackaged sandwich, am I okay to simply log the calories on this box in this case? :]

When I weigh sliced bread it is not accurate most times.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wait until you weigh some pasta! The shock.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Preach.

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Seriously... I felt like my whole life was a lie.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    piheart wrote: »

RIGHT!
    tdq4mprb3f9h.jpeg

• queenliz99
    Options

RIGHT!
    tdq4mprb3f9h.jpeg

Mind blown <3
  • sashayoung72
    Options

RIGHT!
    tdq4mprb3f9h.jpeg
    "sob" why can't pasta be the one thing that goes the other way!?

• sashayoung72
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    yep - I spent a long time not weighing food but I was much bigger then. But there's a lot less room for error now. I have to admit that I really like weighing my food. It appeals to the ocd side of me I guess... haha.
    heck yes! I have to break, snap and tweek every thing trying to get that .98 oz up to 1 but nonono not the 1.02, dang try again LOL Like the weirdest game, forget ANGRY BIRDS, it's WHAT DOES IT WEIGH?

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    lol i remember your response hehehe

and yes i am an obsessive weigher of food. First of all i always had professionally something with food, so weighing food for recipes was already pretty normal and frequent. And education ( nutrition's) made it normal too.
    But you know what...i dont care what people think about the fact that i weigh ALL my food.

It is my body, my health and i was the one that almost died because of my weight, not them.

I even took it that far that i made a whole "own" list in my dairy.. this list is checked. So every food in there is checked on the USDA site or per labels etc.
    This is the food entry i use. Because MFP has some crazy wrong entry's.

This list i copied to my pc too. For later use

Now almost 110 lbs lighter and no stalls, plateaus or whatever, i know pretty good how my body reacts on certain foods and the amounts. And most important what my maintenance will be. Which i will reach in the coming half year.
    All depends how fast or slow i lose the last pounds.

Because i was very accurate all this time i created a pretty accurate inside on how much calories i will end with lol

But yes it is shocking sometimes when you weigh all your food.
    Fiber One bars not 33 gram but 39......well that is 28 calories right there..more!
    Some cheese sticks or Sara Lee bread lol 2 slices (45 gram) is never 90 calories by me. I always end up with more. etc etc

So i weigh everything in grams. New items, i make a new "own" entry for and start using only that one.
    It get add to my total list ( funny list over 17000 calories there for that day hehehe) and it shows up in my "recent" tab.
    And ones in a while i copy all these good and checked entry's to a new day in the future in my diary and to my exel list on the pc.

Obsessive...mmm yeah maybe. But i dont care i lost my weight that way in a almost perfect journey

95069916.png
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I experienced that shock when I weighed "a serving" of rice. To me, that looked like about two mouthfuls. <.<
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    Over several months of going crazy with bananas--not weighing them and logging the "medium banana" calories--I gained about 7 pounds! (I like them a LOT.) I HAVE a food scale, just didn't think I needed to weigh bananas. Now I do, and I dropped the 7 pounds!! :):)

I actually posted a response on a different topic about the ridiculousness of weighing bananas and apples. I remember being a little too cocky and saying "This isn't NORMAL behaviour!!!". I am totally eating my words now and if anyone is reading this who saw me say that in that thread, I hold my hands up! I am now a banana and apple weigher! I used to log my bananas as 'large' or 'medium' and I have been well out all along!

I am wondering if I'll need to continue to weigh as I enter maintenance? But I imagine i'll have to cross that bridge when I get there! :D

You weren't the first to call us all out for weighing things like fruits and you definitely won't be the last. Now you get to sit back and watch it happen in the next food scale thread :drinker:

I don't know why, but I always thought weighing food would be troublesome and time consuming. So glad I finally bought my food scale. It's easier than trying to pack a measuring cup, faster, and I have fewer dishes to clean. Plus, who doesn't want to feel like a mad scientist while making breakfast?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    Over several months of going crazy with bananas--not weighing them and logging the "medium banana" calories--I gained about 7 pounds! (I like them a LOT.) I HAVE a food scale, just didn't think I needed to weigh bananas. Now I do, and I dropped the 7 pounds!! :):)

I actually posted a response on a different topic about the ridiculousness of weighing bananas and apples. I remember being a little too cocky and saying "This isn't NORMAL behaviour!!!". I am totally eating my words now and if anyone is reading this who saw me say that in that thread, I hold my hands up! I am now a banana and apple weigher! I used to log my bananas as 'large' or 'medium' and I have been well out all along!

I am wondering if I'll need to continue to weigh as I enter maintenance? But I imagine i'll have to cross that bridge when I get there! :D

You weren't the first to call us all out for weighing things like fruits and you definitely won't be the last. Now you get to sit back and watch it happen in the next food scale thread :drinker:

I don't know why, but I always thought weighing food would be troublesome and time consuming. So glad I finally bought my food scale. It's easier than trying to pack a measuring cup, faster, and I have fewer dishes to clean. Plus, who doesn't want to feel like a mad scientist while making breakfast?

rofl yeps
    it is much easier
    and less dishes because of the cups and spoons. I just put my plate on the scale put the item on, keep in mind what it is or write it down, and tara the scale out, and put the next item on etc etc.

It takes me no time at all...just a minute more in the kitchen because of weighing food means another pound gone on the bathroom scale the next morning...that is how i see it
    (now the next morning is kidding ofcourse..but sure i weigh less that week ;) )

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    yep - I spent a long time not weighing food but I was much bigger then. But there's a lot less room for error now. I have to admit that I really like weighing my food. It appeals to the ocd side of me I guess... haha.
    heck yes! I have to break, snap and tweek every thing trying to get that .98 oz up to 1 but nonono not the 1.02, dang try again LOL Like the weirdest game, forget ANGRY BIRDS, it's WHAT DOES IT WEIGH?

When I scoop out a tablespoon of exactly 28 grams of hummus, I always feel like I just won something, haha!