Low carb healthy pizza recipe?

Options
2»

Replies

• Riz72
    Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    @ ge105 - I like the portobello mushroom idea. I'll give that a try!

Everything else you can change quite easily I feel except the crust. Toppings are always personalized but it's the crust that has me thinking.

I saw one on here recently that was pretty much cauliflower with Parmesan as the crust. Seems like it did the job!
  • sweetsorrow18
    sweetsorrow18 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like my pizza super thin, so I usually go for a low carb tortilla, toss on some sauce and topping and pop it in the oven till its nice and crispy...its low carb, i feel like I'm eating an ultra thin crust pizza
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    cauliflower for crust. it works great. lots of sauce and vegies on top and some velveeta shreds cheese. you don't need much of the cheese and it melts great.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I make pizza with " Flat Out Bread" it is an oblong flat bread that is about 90 calories and 74% fewer carbs than 2 slices of wheat bread. The carbs are 16 grams, personally we prefer these to any other low cab lower calorie bread out there. You get 6 wraps in a package, one flat bread makes a great meal, I pre bake it on the oven rack then top as desired and re bake. It takes care of my pizza cravings.

Flat Out flatbread, light original, hope this is an option for you to try.

i used the flat out pizza crust on friday night to satisfy my pizza craving.. super good! topped with tomato basil marinara, mozzarella cheese, prosciutto, tomato and basil - all for under 300 calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I make pizza with " Flat Out Bread" it is an oblong flat bread that is about 90 calories and 74% fewer carbs than 2 slices of wheat bread. The carbs are 16 grams, personally we prefer these to any other low cab lower calorie bread out there. You get 6 wraps in a package, one flat bread makes a great meal, I pre bake it on the oven rack then top as desired and re bake. It takes care of my pizza cravings.

Flat Out flatbread, light original, hope this is an option for you to try.

i used the flat out pizza crust on friday night to satisfy my pizza craving.. super good! topped with tomato basil marinara, mozzarella cheese, prosciutto, tomato and basil - all for under 300 calories.
    That sounds great.
  • kimmee7319
    kimmee7319 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like my pizza super thin, so I usually go for a low carb tortilla, toss on some sauce and topping and pop it in the oven till its nice and crispy...its low carb, i feel like I'm eating an ultra thin crust pizza
    This looks like a great idea. I am going to try this at home with my girls tomorrow nt. It is my 11 year old's turn to cook tomorrow :)
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from Skinnytaste.com- it is quite yummy!!!!

Lavash Flatbread Pizza:

9 x 12 inch lavash flatbread ( I find it in Walmart near deli)
    olive oil spray
    3 TBSP marinara sauce
    2 oz reduced fat shredded mozzarella
    pinch dried oregano
    2 TBSP fresh basil

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 45o degrees. If you have a pizza stone, heat it as well.
    Spread lavash bread with oil then top with sauce. Too much sauce will make the bread soggy so don't over- do it.
    Top with cheese and oregano, then bake until the cheese melts- about 5 minutes
    Remove from oven and cut into 4 pieces. Top with fresh basil and eat immediately.

Servings:2
    Serving Size: 2 squares
    Calories: 191.8
    Fat: 4.7g
    Protein: 12.2g
    Carb: 23.9g
    Fiber: 1.4g
    Sugar: 1.4g
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    poundis wrote: »
    I got this recipe from Skinnytaste.com- it is quite yummy!!!!

Lavash Flatbread Pizza:

9 x 12 inch lavash flatbread ( I find it in Walmart near deli)
    olive oil spray
    3 TBSP marinara sauce
    2 oz reduced fat shredded mozzarella
    pinch dried oregano
    2 TBSP fresh basil

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 45o degrees. If you have a pizza stone, heat it as well.
    Spread lavash bread with oil then top with sauce. Too much sauce will make the bread soggy so don't over- do it.
    Top with cheese and oregano, then bake until the cheese melts- about 5 minutes
    Remove from oven and cut into 4 pieces. Top with fresh basil and eat immediately.

Servings:2
    Serving Size: 2 squares
    Calories: 191.8
    Fat: 4.7g
    Protein: 12.2g
    Carb: 23.9g
    Fiber: 1.4g
    Sugar: 1.4g

Gonna have to try this one! Lots of great ideas...thanks guys :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    I posted this recipe some time back and it got some quite good feedback.. Maybe it's something to look at?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278284-500-kcal-pizza-high-protein-healthy-option?page=1

I make them all the time!
    @Adam Thanks :) Found some great tips in that thread as well!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can always do pizza zucchini boats too hwyrb5bfypef.jpg
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The zucchini boats above are wonderful and do scratch the pizza itch nicely. I made a variation on this a while back. Thinly sliced Zucchini tomatoes and eggplant layered into a casserole with basil and oregano topped with mozzarella cheese and baked at 400 for about 45 minutes.

Next time I make this I might add in some mushrooms and olives because I love those on a pizza.
  • JDMJ1968
    JDMJ1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Joseph's brand lavash bread...add my favorite topping and cook 8 minutes at 425 degrees
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    The zucchini boats above are wonderful and do scratch the pizza itch nicely. I made a variation on this a while back. Thinly sliced Zucchini tomatoes and eggplant layered into a casserole with basil and oregano topped with mozzarella cheese and baked at 400 for about 45 minutes.

Next time I make this I might add in some mushrooms and olives because I love those on a pizza.
    Oh Yum! That makes me think of Eggplant Parmesan...those toppings do sound tasty for a pizza.
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wow I thought flatbread was a NO NO? Shux
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Riz72 wrote: »
    @ ge105 - I like the portobello mushroom idea. I'll give that a try!

Everything else you can change quite easily I feel except the crust. Toppings are always personalized but it's the crust that has me thinking.

I saw one on here recently that was pretty much cauliflower with Parmesan as the crust. Seems like it did the job!
    http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2014/01/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

I made this one once. It did the job and wasn't too cauliflowery--It doesn't hold shape, though. Usually needs to be eaten with a fork because it crumbles when you pick it up.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I suggest zucchini boats too. Delicious...
  • denny505
    denny505 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great recipe ideas! Definitely going to try a few of them when I get the craving for pizza. Thanks for sharing!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower crust is a bit of work, but it's a delicious comfort food.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I tried a cauliflower crust before after watching some how-to videos. It tasted great, but I had to eat it with a fork so I probably failed miserably at making it.

Did you squeeze the water out of the cauliflower? On the other hand, if it tasted great, who cares how you ate it?
  • Steadmn
    Steadmn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1 large egg
    1TBSP almond flour or coconut flour or of choice
    1TBSP Parmesan cheese
    1tsp oil
    Pizza toppings of choice (not included in carb count)
    In small bowl mix everything with fork. Heat oil in nonstick skillet. Put mix in and fry it on both rides til golden brown as much as you can take as the browner the firmer. Remove and put on baking sheet. Add toppings. Bake or broil to heat toppings and melt cheese.
    Makes 1 serving
    Per serving: 175 cal, fat 15 g, Protein 10, Carbs 2, Fiber 1 = 1 net carb
    From book "Natural Health and Weightloss" by Barry Groves