Running injury / recovery

Options
I'd like to start by saying that I will be discussing this with my doctor, too, but there is so much knowledge on these boards that I wanted to put this out here as well.

I've been running regularly for a few months. After experiencing several hamstring strains while doing C25k, I met with a running coach who suggested I start out even slower. He put me on a training plan of 15 seconds running / 90 seconds walking, up to 10 intervals per run, 3 - 4 times a week. Each week I could increase the running time by 15 seconds. Under this plan, I was able to get up to 1:45 running, 1:30 walking with no issues except some foot pain that was resolved by getting new shoes with a wider toe box.

Last weekend I was going to run / walk in my first 5k - I got less than 1/10th of a mile in and something in my hip popped (in my head, I "saw" a rubber band stretching, then popping back), and I could barely walk. I should mention I was running downhill, and stupidly leaning way backward to slow myself down, so my feet were landing way in front of me.

I went to the ER who confirmed nothing was broken, and I set a follow up appointment with my regular doctor for tomorrow, when I might get some more specific information about what happened. One week later, I'm at least able to walk with no pain. I'm fairly certain I'll be told not to run for at least six weeks, and am considering putting that moratorium on myself if my doctor doesn't, because I've never done any strength training and I think that really contributed to this injury... Which finally brings me to my question!

If I choose to focus the next six weeks on strengthening my hip and supporting muscles, does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that focus on running strength? I have access to a gym with some machines, but no free weights. I work full time, have kids, and go to school half time, but I can commit to about the same amount of time I was committing to running / walking (1 hour a night, 3-4 nights a week). Body weight exercises / stretching routines that I can do at home would be even better, and would allow me to work out 5-6 nights a week. All suggestions / links welcome. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My Boyfriend is currently recovering from Hip Arthroscopy surgery and his physio routine to help strengthen the hips, glutes and core are:

Bridges.
    Clams
    lunges etc.
    http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2013.0501
    http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8118650/hip-strengthening-exercises-hip-rehabilitation-e.htm

I myself get stiff hips and sometimes feel like my hip flexor is bulging out. I find hip circles to warm up before running really help and also lots of dynamic stretching like high kicks, jumping jacks etc.

• jennaatsuad
    jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! That's a lot of great information.

I've never felt stiffness in my hips before, but did often feel it in my lower back after a run if I didn't stretch out really, really well. I'm sure I'll be hyper-aware of my hips from now on, though!

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This will take awhile to heal as I have had this issue before. You may need to only walk awhile. It is a hip flexor type issue you can google it for more info but it takes a long time to heal.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The exercises should hopefully help with your back too.
    Good luck.

Hope you get back to running again soon.
  • jennaatsuad
    jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This will take awhile to heal as I have had this issue before. You may need to only walk awhile. It is a hip flexor type issue you can google it for more info but it takes a long time to heal.

That's what I was thinking - it certainly didn't feel like something that would heal quickly. :(
    photojunk wrote: »
    The exercises should hopefully help with your back too.
    Good luck.

Hope you get back to running again soon.

Thank you!