Newbie Lifting (If you can call it that!!)

Options
Hello All,

I have recently purchased my own weights to begin lifting at home. I am using Fitness Blenders Supersets Videos.

I started off with around 16lbs in each hans and that was too heavy so I dropped to 11lb in each hand and I still felt that my form was off as the weight was too heavy so dropped to 5.5lb in each hand. I know that it is a measly weight but I just felt that I was struggling too much with the heavier weight. I can deal with the heavier weight (16lb in each hand) on presses and curls etc but anything involving the triceps and my strength is non existent!

Is it worth sticking at it with this weight and hopefully building up or is it even worth lifting at this weight?!?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You should be lifting heavy weights while in caloric deficit so you preserve muscle mass. You probably won't build muscle in a deficit, sorry.

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think the fitness blender videos are usually more a mix of cardio and weight, so the lower weights are ok because you're going to be doing a ton of reps and that's going to wear you out. If you're serious about trying weight lifting, as in heavy weights, try doing some deadlifts, squats and presses starting at a low weight and working on form in reps of 5. Once you get your form down, try progressing up to heavier weights. The videos won't cut it for heavy weights because they incorporate too much cardio but they can be awesome for burning off calories :)
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the videos but it's important to have the form correct with weights. Get the form right with a weight you can handle first. Then increase as your ability increases.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If 5lbs is all you can lift whilst maintaining good form then that's what you start with. Add weight slowly and never sacrifice form for weight.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, it helps. Just do more reps. Agreed with ironmaiden4life
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lighter weights with more reps. This is fine. You are working your way up. Start with form and work up.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere and good for you that you have already made that step. I couldn't lift much at all when I started but it is amazing how quickly you gain strength with regular workouts and good diet. Good advice posted above!
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your help. I am going to keep going and as has been said above, not sacrifice form for weight. I'm sure I can pick it up once some muscles start to appear - pretty sure that I don't have triceps though!! lol