Diet Breaks/Refeeds

Options

Replies

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    But will OP ever return?

FIND OUT IN NEXT MONTHS EPISODE

wow. i have been gone a bit over an hour. i am running errands.

• House_Cow
    House_Cow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go for the diet break if that's what you need mentally, I went on one but it ended up lasting a little longer than planned and I actually gained a couple pounds! but that's just me falling out of good habits. good luck! :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, you need a diet break and a refeed.

Mostly because you are eating less than a 5'2" female.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i eat about 1400 per day. and i am looking for feedback on refeeds and breaks...not opinions on my current consumptiin which has been fine for three months.

Do you feel this is enough for you?
    I apologise to keep hashing it up but if you could eat more and still lose weight, would you be happier with that?

Re-feeds are a good idea in the way you described (eating at maintenance)! I wouldn't recommend stoppind tracking altogether and eating 'whatever' for a couple of weeks but your way is what I definitely plan to do in the future!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    i said a one k a day deficit. not 1000 cal a day.

rif.

I misread that and am STILL sorry for you. 1400 calories a day for a male is not enough. Remember, you lose muscle while extreme dieting. Your heart is a muscle.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    i said abone k a day deficit. not 1000 cal a day.

rif.

But diary tells a different story.

i did not ask about my diary. i asked about others experiences with breaks.

@all....nevermind. i see folks are not interested in my question but rather talking down to me when they do not have all facts.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'1 (2 if i stand REAL straight and stretch my neck) female and eat more than that :/

Yep, same here. Eat something, please. :)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    i said abone k a day deficit. not 1000 cal a day.

rif.

But diary tells a different story.

i did not ask about my diary. i asked about others experiences with breaks.

@all....nevermind. i see folks are not interested in my question but rather talking down to me when they do not have all facts.

You're asking about a refeed/break because you're having problems with energy. We're addressing your underlying concern. It's not that you need a break or a refeed, it's that you are maintaining too large a deficit and it's causing you performance problems.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    But will OP ever return?

Sorry I thought you'd died because you're at a stupidly low caloric intake for a male.

Sure, you need a diet break. Have a break from 1000 calories a day and then return with an adequate caloric intake which isn't too low.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    But will OP ever return?

Sorry I thought you'd died because you're at a stupidly low caloric intake for a male.

Sure, you need a diet break. Have a break from 1000 calories a day and then return with an adequate caloric intake which isn't too low.

wow. you are a real gem of a human. First, I am eating more than 100calories per day; I am eating a deficit of 1000 per day on average - you should try reading. Second, I find MFP's analytics tools to be useless so I developed a database of my own which is more accurate to my own needs. I often true up my daily calories at the end of a day after looking at my home db tools which calculate a great deal of things using my historic data rather than guesses that MFP makes (which, by the way, says I should be at 1390 per day). Those true ups are not reflected in my logs here because in the long run I won't use MFP to track calories. For now, it serves as a decent way to ensure my database is working correctly.

As I said before and I say it again - folks here do not have all the facts. I didn't ask anyone to dig into my logs here and solve anything. I asked folks about experiences with diet breaks. First poster out of the gate decided they needed to jump into my diet rather than talk about the subject I asked about. Everyone else piled on because to a person, they thought they were being smart when, in fact, they were making false assumptions.

• Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    i eat about 1400 per day. and i am looking for feedback on refeeds and breaks...not opinions on my current consumptiin which has been fine for three months.

I apologise to keep hashing it up but if you could eat more and still lose weight, would you be happier with that?

Re-feeds are a good idea in the way you described (eating at maintenance)! I wouldn't recommend stoppind tracking altogether and eating 'whatever' for a couple of weeks but your way is what I definitely plan to do in the future!

thank you. My caloric intake had been insufficient so I bumped it up a few weeks ago to slow things down. I was a bit higher than 1400. Through it all, I have made great progress on the weight bench as well as the treadmill. It has only been the last 10 days that I have noticed any issues.

I have no intention of stopping logging. I simply intend to eat closer to maintenance for 2 weeks then to go back to 1k per day deficit.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Since people have been criticizing you the diary has been privatized. It's not constructive OP.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You see OP, when someone asks a question and makes mention of specific problems they are having (fatigue in your case) then it is prudent to answer in context. This context being that it appears you have been grossly undereating. MFP has given you the bare minimum recommended calories BEFORE exercise because you've out in a too aggressive weight loss goal. I couldn't eat at a 1000 per day deficit and not do some serious damage to my overall health in the long term.

This isn't people being unhelpful, quite the opposite. So listen to them and EAT.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Since people have been criticizing you the diary has been privatized. It's not constructive OP.
    yes. I closed it. please read the entire thread. my diary is not completely accurate and I am not looking for feedback on my diary.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    yes. I closed it. please read the entire thread. my diary is not completely accurate and I am not looking for feedback on my diary.

So how would you know you're maintaining a 1000 calorie deficit as stated in your OP?

• Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    You see OP, when someone asks a question and makes mention of specific problems they are having (fatigue in your case) then it is prudent to answer in context. This context being that it appears you have been grossly undereating. MFP has given you the bare minimum recommended calories BEFORE exercise because you've out in a too aggressive weight loss goal. I couldn't eat at a 1000 per day deficit and not do some serious damage to my overall health in the long term.

This isn't people being unhelpful, quite the opposite. So listen to them and EAT.

1. I am NOT undereating. I eat at a 1K per day deficit. I have a far greater handle on my calories in and calories out than I suspect most anyone here does.
    2. My MFP log is not completely accurate thus my post above (which you clearly haven't read) and thus my statements about not knowing all the facts.
    3. I didn't ask anyone to solve problems for me. I asked about the theory of diet breaks.

You see, I wasn't looking for feedback on my diet, but what people think of diet breaks. What has since dawned on me is that most folks here don't know what the theory of a diet break is. Since you want context, a diet break, in theory, allows the body's hormones to go back to pre diet levels. This is based on the idea that the fat levels are a regulated system within the body much like body temperature. The science on this is not definitive thus my curiosity on the experiences and knowledge of others. This is the topic I wanted to discuss.

In truth, however, I actually appreciate that some folks are tryign to be helpful and I understand how my log is misleading (thus I closed it). I've tried to divert the topic back to a discussion of diet breaks and not my actual intake (WHICH IS NOT PROPERLY REFLECTED ON MFP). However, it seems that group think is going to rule like it often does on message boards.

• Steve_ApexNC
    Options

So how would you know you're maintaining a 1000 calorie deficit as stated in your OP?

I clearly explained that in another post above. RIF.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

thank you. My caloric intake had been insufficient so I bumped it up a few weeks ago to slow things down. I was a bit higher than 1400. Through it all, I have made great progress on the weight bench as well as the treadmill. It has only been the last 10 days that I have noticed any issues.

I have no intention of stopping logging. I simply intend to eat closer to maintenance for 2 weeks then to go back to 1k per day deficit.

Good idea, at least your body will get sufficient amount of food.
    So you are going to eat 1000 calories more above the 1400 you say you normally eat. right?

95069916.png