sugar cravings ?

Options
Hey guys, lately I've been getting night time sugar cravings, any advice??

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eat something with sugar, eat something artificially sweet, or deal with it.
  • IronChick770
    IronChick770 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very strict macro count, as I'm putting on muscle. Everybody knows sugar is a no go at night time as your body doesn't have time to burn it, and it stores as fat. I'm looking for a way to surpress the craving
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people complain of "sugar cravings", but usually it seems they crave hyperpalatable foods - foods that taste really good to them. Typically these are foods that have a lot of sugar but also a lot of fat. As previously mentioned, you can try and appease the craving by setting aside some calories for nighttime snacking. Depending on how much you set aside and what satisfies you, have a small serving of something you enjoy or try something that is lower calorie but still tastes sweet (whether artifical sweeteners or something naturally sweet like fruit).
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Just fit in within your caloric limit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I quit almost all added sugars and went low carb, and my craving went away. It isn't for everyone though.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If it fit in your calories, you could eat cake right before bed and it wouldn't guarantee any more fat gain that if you had not. Assuming you lift, your body is actively repairing during off times, so anything you give it (within reason) won't be wasted.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    having a spoonful of honey nips it in the bud.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm on a very strict macro count, as I'm putting on muscle. Everybody knows sugar is a no go at night time as your body doesn't have time to burn it, and it stores as fat. I'm looking for a way to surpress the craving

It doesnt store as fat at all

Calories in vs calories out

and if you eat Surplus!!!! calories you gain weight.

And time doesnt matter either
    I eat all my sugar and carbs in the evening and lost almost 110lbs in 11 months.

Nothing is stored as fat at all!

btw when you are in a deficit you dont build ( much) muscle, except for newbie gains.

95069916.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Everybody knows sugar is a no go at night time as your body doesn't have time to burn it, and it stores as fat.

Not true -- timing doesn't really matter. You'll burn it if in a deficit and in theory it could help build muscle if post workout.

That said, you want to suppress the craving, so what I've done when I didn't want to include anything sweet in the evening was either eat something that tended to feel like an indulgence but was the opposite of sweet (a bit of cheese or a pickle or some cottage cheese with pepperoncinis -- I fully realize this last might seem weird) or simply distracted myself or had some unsweetened tea until I got out of the habit of expecting something sweet in the evening.

I actually do better with including something sweet after dinner rather than earlier in the day -- I'm less likely to want more than I should have. However, maybe try incorporating it at a different time (like right after a workout?) and then if you want it you can tell yourself to just wait until tomorrow.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

That's incorrect. Sugar doesn't store as fat. Excess calories do.

I do better with cravings when I work a little bit something sweet into my day. The Hershey's minis or the ghirardelli squares tend to work well for my goals.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am on a ice cream trip the last 2 weeks lol
    So next to my huge bow of popcorn every evening ( fro 11 months now) my bowl of frozen fruit i eat ice creammmm

so yummie and totally keeps my gravings out of the door. Totally

95069916.png
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free jello. It soothes my sweet tooth pretty well.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    amb312 wrote: »
    I like sugar free jello. It soothes my sweet tooth pretty well.

oh yeah love those too
    I also freeze those in cubes or small tubes and put some fruits in them...so yummie like little ice creams hehehe

<<yeps i love ice

95069916.png

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows sugar is a no go at night time as your body doesn't have time to burn it, and it stores as fat. I'm looking for a way to surpress the craving
    No one knows that. Some ill-informed people believe that.

You can eat what you crave. You can eat a substitute in an attempt to satiate the craving. You can just cope.

There's no magic answer.

• rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How about fruits such as grapes and chobani 100 cal pineapple taste really good
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    A little bit of super duper dark bittersweet chocolate does it for me!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A few pieces of fresh pineapple does it for me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows sugar is a no go at night time as your body doesn't have time to burn it, and it stores as fat. I'm looking for a way to surpress the craving
    No one knows that. Some ill-informed people believe that.

You can eat what you crave. You can eat a substitute in an attempt to satiate the craving. You can just cope.

There's no magic answer.

Yep. Also OP, if you're trying to put on muscle then you are eating at a surplus anyway, right?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest fitting something sweet at night into your calorie goal, but since you believe eating things at night will make you fat, just nevermind.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Egg white protein. mmmmm.....