How long did it take for your mind to catch up to the scale?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't see it until I see 'before' pictures (there are really not many of them. I was hiding). But I still don't see myself as thin, honestly. I see the clothes I'm wearing and look at them and tell myself that there is no way I fit in those tiny things, but yes, I do.

I can definitely see the difference on your pictures, by the way... heck you look perfect to me and I don't see where you even want to lose 13 pounds from.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    change your mind....change your body.....yep this weight journey is mostly mental..... If you just do the physical work (lose the weight) and not do your homework to lose it in your brain, it just comes back on.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    change your mind....change your body.....yep this weight journey is mostly mental..... If you just do the physical work (lose the weight) and not do your homework to lose it in your brain, it just comes back on.

lol it only comes back on when you eat surplus calories
    Sorry,,,that is science

95069916.png

• Annr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    all you that have lost alot of weight....(((((AWESOMME SAUCE to you all by the way)))))) do you still wear some of the same clothes? I know that the weight loss group I am in, we are always trading clothes here and there to support each other, and not wear baggy clothes. I think its important to look at your body in a full length mirror. Nude. Just so you imprint in your mind the real you. Its a powerful thing!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nope i dont wear anything "old"

I wear new clothes that fit and i wait some time everytime to buy new sizes
    I know what i lost and see the huge body change i went through

It is just that at the store i cant get used to picking the right size etc.

But will get there
    It seems i think about 2 sizes bigger But coming from a 28 to now 10 to 8, that isnt that bad lol

95069916.png

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    We went to the movies recently and when it got out of course everyone rushes to the restroom, including me.

When a sink frees up so I can wash my hands I'm faced with a huge mirror in front of me with about 5 other women washing their hands at the sinks around me. I was stunned to see myself in the mirror lined up besides what I'd consider average normal sized women, and seeing I'm the smallest woman in the line up.

That really weirded me out, and given that I'm around 170lbs I think my perception of average and normal sized must be really off due to me once being in the high 280's. Any woman under 225 appears slim to me, and apparently I still assume I'm larger than them without a mirror to contradict my assumption.

Brain weirdness.
  • Annr
    Options
    Good deal Burn...Numbers on clothes are just that...numbers....every clothes designer makes their sizes special, so I don't take the numbers to heart, but its nice to go into a new size. Do you remember that commerical about jeans and they had sizes labled "Beautiful", "Sassy", Equisite" and so on. That would be wonderful if the commercial world would do that.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    all you that have lost alot of weight....(((((AWESOMME SAUCE to you all by the way)))))) do you still wear some of the same clothes? I know that the weight loss group I am in, we are always trading clothes here and there to support each other, and not wear baggy clothes. I think its important to look at your body in a full length mirror. Nude. Just so you imprint in your mind the real you. Its a powerful thing!

I wear a lot of the same clothes, except pants, because I can't buy a whole new wardrobe right now. Maybe when I hit goal.

But that's kind of the problem I was pointing out. We could stand nude in front of a mirror, completely aware of all that we have done to become healthy, but still see ourselves as larger.

I just hope the body dysmorphia goes away on its own eventually.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not quite to the 10% body weight lost and when I look in the mirror I see the same big (ok HUGE) person I always do. But my clothes and my hips and knees say otherwise.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think I'm always behind. 92 pounds down and the first sixty, I saw little change. Now, I see some change, but not 92 pounds of change.

I think my mind will catch up when I stop losing. It's always playing catch-up because I'm still losing, KWIM?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think I'm always behind. 92 pounds down and the first sixty, I saw little change. Now, I see some change, but not 92 pounds of change.

I think my mind will catch up when I stop losing. It's always playing catch-up because I'm still losing, KWIM?

That's what I'm hoping for too. Once the weightloss stops, the mind will have a chance to comprehend what has happened and actually appreciate what it's seeing. :D

• shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    In my head I am still at 220. I haven't been there in over 2 years. I don't know if my mind will ever catch up to the scale.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased for those that haven't had too hard a time with their mind catching up with their new physical appearance and lower weight.

For me, I think I will ALWAYS struggle. I suffer with body dysmorphia - It was instilled in me from a very young age by my family that I was fat (even though looking back a pics that just isn't the case).....ironically my obese older Sister was the main protagonist. :'(

I have struggled with subsequent ED's and had many years of Counselling and CBT....it has mitigated the trauma and lessened the daily impact and for that I am grateful but still though....If I am having a tough day and mentally low the old disordered thinking rears its ugly head.

I still find myself astounded when I catch a glimpse of myself in a window or a mirror.....I don't recognise myself and I do believe that I have a permanent mental picture of myself at least 30 lbs heavier than I really am.....and I am nearly 3 years into successful maintenance. :s

Thank God for good, honest friends and Husband, and MFP which has given me so many useful tools to help combat this way of thinking. Daily weighing, measuring and logging have really put my actual reality into focus.....I'm not fighting those thoughts anywhere near as much.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 XL to medium shirt

44 to 32 jeans

It is very different but I am slowly getting used to it

My hobbies are all new. Friends are pretty much 75% new

I'm getting used to the vastly different life.

This weekend was 115 miles on the bike getting ready for a sprint triathlon.

That just sounds funny to even say!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased for those that haven't had too hard a time with their mind catching up with their new physical appearance and lower weight.

For me, I think I will ALWAYS struggle. I suffer with body dysmorphia - It was instilled in me from a very young age by my family that I was fat (even though looking back a pics that just isn't the case).....ironically my obese older Sister was the main protagonist. :'(

I have struggled with subsequent ED's and had many years of Counselling and CBT....it has mitigated the trauma and lessened the daily impact and for that I am grateful but still though....If I am having a tough day and mentally low the old disordered thinking rears its ugly head.

I still find myself astounded when I catch a glimpse of myself in a window or a mirror.....I don't recognise myself and I do believe that I have a permanent mental picture of myself at least 30 lbs heavier than I really am.....and I am nearly 3 years into successful maintenance. :s

Thank God for good, honest friends and Husband, and MFP which has given me so many useful tools to help combat this way of thinking. Daily weighing, measuring and logging have really put my actual reality into focus.....I'm not fighting those thoughts anywhere near as much.

just to add that if that's you, on your profile picture, you look amazing!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Im down 77.While I am certainly more fit and feel great.I dont see any difference in the mirror.
  • 915kat
    915kat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 lbs down and yes I have a problem... even in pictures I feel there's nothing major. Like yes I see little differences; but I still "see me".
  • victoriagaro
    victoriagaro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    915kat wrote: »
    I'm 25 lbs down and yes I have a problem... even in pictures I feel there's nothing major. Like yes I see little differences; but I still "see me".
    Exactly what I feel!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think I just notice my remaining fat more that I've slimmed down. Before I was big all over and pretty well distributed. Now I have a few annoying stomach areas that are taking their time coming off while most other areas look fine.Since I'm focused on specific areas like that, I definitely notice them more.

Because of that I often feel more self conscious about my body now than I did when I was obese.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Intellectually I can see a difference but emotionally I'm kind of like "but where did it come from??" I think I also critique myself more closely and my goals for body composition have shifted, so I focus on how far I have left to go and I still feel fat. I still think I'm hot, just hot and fat. :D