Should I throw out or donate my old baggie clothes?

Options
hiphop10
hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I lost 52 pounds and I had to buy some new clothes. Should I get rid of the baggie clothes?
I ask this because I'd like to know what others have done.

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've donated all the things that are too big for me. I don't ever want to fit into them again.
  • hiphop10
    Options
    vegangela_ ty & tomorrow I am donating all my old clothes! btw you are vegan! so am I, proud to be vegan :)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yup I gave all my old clothes to charity shops. Ok, I kept one pair of old trousers so I could put them on and see how much weight I lost, but eventually I got rid of those too.
  • Patriciaenola
    Patriciaenola Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I get the chance to do this - Congratulations by the way - I shall keep one complete old set of clothing - for the sake of occasionally putting it on - to "scare myself" into laughing - "I aint never going back to that"
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. Helps motivate you. If you don't have the clothes laying around it will remind you how expensive it is to buy a new wardrobe if you think about gaining weight again.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I kept an old pair of beach shorts that horrify me, but I got rid of everything else. Having to buy new clothes as I lot 4-5 dress sizes was expensive, so I sold what I could on eBay and donated the rest. It feels great to know that now, my wardrobe only includes clothes that fit and make me look good at my current size. It's also great to now be building my collection with more interesting clothes, rather than just basics that all match!
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I donate everything. I figure if anything is no good to sell it can be given to the homeless or whoever needs it.

Then while I'm there I buy new smaller clothes for myself! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    off to the charity stores. don't need to ever fit in those again
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I took the ones I really liked and altered them so they fit. Others I just gave away.

BTW, I like buying clothes just a few at a time because 5 years from now I don't want everything from the same fashion cycle. So I put together a 'skinny' wardrobe from staples like plain, inexpensive shells ($5-$12) and a few pairs of flattering pants. I'd wear them with nice jewelry, sweaters and scarves and mix them in with my older, altered clothes and nice second hand. Then I've been buying a piece I really like every month or two.

What has really surprised me as that I have some necklaces and even earrings that looked fine on me when I was heavier but look way too big now. I didn't expect that!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I donated 26 bags of clothes that didn't fit anymore last February (ok, most of those were my kids). I just scheduled a pick up from one of those trucks that pick up stuff for donations. I have no intention of being that big again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    There are always those that don't have the income to buy clothing regularly. Donate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am keeping one shirt and one pair of pants and maybe one pair of shorts from when i started so that I can see how far i have come... but after that I will be donating all of my larger clothes.
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I donate my clothes as soon as they are to big to wear. I use this as motivation to keep going. I buy my
    clothes at Goodwill because they are temporary. I am looking to loose another 20 pounds but that is just a
    number. I didn't even keep a set of start clothes. The only thing that I have not replaced is shoes and socks.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. Keeping them means that you don't believe you can keep it off. You can!
  • hiphop10
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I gave all my old baggie clothes away today...someone really wanted them! I took photos of my thinner-self in them!:)
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The place I shop at to gives you a coupon when you donate items. I bring in a bag or 2 of old stuff, get the 30% off coupon, and head in to shop! I've had to do this a couple of times even after I hit goal weight, because as the seasons change I keep realizing I need new weather appropriate clothes that fit!
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a stack of baggy clothes and a huge suit but am too reluctant to get rid of them. At least they aren't hanging in my closet anymore.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I either resold mine to cosignment shops in town or donated to charity or my sisters. everyone appreciates it and not seeing those clothes on a daily basis and knowing I'm NOT going back there has been very motivating!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    hiphop10 wrote: »
    I lost 52 pounds and I had to buy some new clothes. Should I get rid of the baggie clothes?
    I ask this because I'd like to know what others have done.

If they are in good enough shape to not insult anyone....donate, or pass on to friends/family.
    If not....throw away.
    Either way....do not keep them.

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Isn't the Myfitnesspal Standard Operating Procedure to take the clothes to the donation site, shake your fist at the heavens and say in your best Scarlet O'Hara voice "With God as my witness, I will never be chubby again?!" I sorted by clothes into 18, 16, 14, etc and am already giving away the size 20s. TWO weeks ahead of scheduled time.