Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

I'm only eating fruits and veggies, but GAINING...what is the problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you're only awake for 4 hours some days then 1400 calories must be waaaay too much. You must be eating for most of the time you're awake! Even with 14 hours sleep, your TDEE will be lowered. And, with your broken back, I'm guessing you're completely sedentary even when awake.

It sounds really awful for you but, tbh, unless you're very tall I'd be cutting back to around 1000 if you want to lose weight.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Others have already told you that you're probably underestimating your calorie intake and I agree. Your morning smoothie is around 625 calories already and that's me being generous with the calorie calculation I came up with. Depending on how big the banana is, the other cup of fruits you're using, whether the 2 cups of milk truly is 2 cups and what exactly a "handful" of almonds amounts to for you, that smoothie can easily be 800+ calories. Since you're only allowed to eat 1460 calories per day, that would leave you with 660-835 calories to play with. When I look at the rest of what you eat during the day, that definitely seems to easily amount to 600+ calories. Since you can't do any physical activity right now your TDEE is also lower, so that combined with the high calories are what's making you gain weight. It doesn't matter how much you've changed your diet; if you eat excess calories you will gain weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Guessing you should eat your bmr to lose, and even then, you might maintain...

Focus on getting better first, then worry about the weight IMO. Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You're not in a deficit.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're not in a deficit.

^You most likely are eating more calories than you are burning. Doesn't matter if what you are eating is healthier. Calories are calories.

• biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think two things are in play here.

1. You're underestimating your daily calorie intake.
    2. You're not moving at all due to your back injury, which consequently has brought down your TDEE (maintenance calories) figure significantly.

So in short - you need to properly log what you eat to determine calorie intake. and figure out the correct TDEE figures. It may very well be less than the 1400 calories. You have to play around with them to nail it down unfortunately. Bring that number down by 200 calories until you start seeing the results.

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your resting metabolic rate is really low, with mono. The most important thing is for your body to heal -- 2 months of mono is no joke -- and my guess is that the weight gain is more likely to be largely mono related and will dissipate when you are moving around again. Be well :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're not just eating fruits and veggies. Cool Whip is not a vegetable.

It could be a water issue, a period, new exercise. It could also be that you're eating too much to lose. Give it a few more weeks, if you don't lose anything, eat less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    well, fruit and veg have calories...excess calories beyond what you need to maintain the status quo will cause weight gain regardless of the source. also, if all you're eating is fruit and veg, how are you close on fat? also, there is no RDA of mono fats...these are good, heart healthy fats. you're probably pretty low in the protein department as well.

maybe try to balance out your diet a little and accurately log to make sure you're hitting your targets.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So, I'm confused as to how I can be GAINING weight instead of losing?

How much have you gained and over what period of time?

Is there a consistent upward trend over a number of weeks?

• ycatsms2014
    ycatsms2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...all pointed suggestions on weighing and eating less while I'm sick. I'll Def work on accuracy and tweaking and hopefully, I'll see some results. I also set up an app with a nutritionist today, so that'll help.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're not just eating fruits and veggies. Cool Whip is not a vegetable.

It could be a water issue, a period, new exercise. It could also be that you're eating too much to lose. Give it a few more weeks, if you don't lose anything, eat less.

OP is on disability from a broken back, and per the OP hasn't exercised in over 2 months due to mono. Pretty sure we can safely rule out "new exercise water weight".
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...all pointed suggestions on weighing and eating less while I'm sick. I'll Def work on accuracy and tweaking and hopefully, I'll see some results. I also set up an app with a nutritionist today, so that'll help.

Do all this, but make sure that your focus is on taking care of your body and healing first and foremost. Undermining your nutrition while your body is healing isn't good for you either, and will slow your healing and make it less effective. Allow your body to heal properly, and consider eating at maintenance until you are well and then going back to your weight loss efforts.
    I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, and when I'm healing, I'm at most working on losing 0.5 pounds per week to make sure I'm giving my body what it needs to rest and heal. I find I feel much better and less fatigued, doing so.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I also think that while you are healing you need to not starve. I waited after my last hip surgery for three months before I started counting calories. I also realized at that point that I needed a lot more protein in my diet.