Spartan race super 7/11/15

2»

Replies

• 13BANE13
    13BANE13 Posts: 65 Member
    esjones12 wrote: »
    My PA Super time was 5:19, but I was literally just coming off an injury. I spent the entire two weeks leading up to the race on the couch. Back injuries = nothing you can do to train. I know I could have been faster if I didn't tank my cardio right before the race.

DC my time was 2:07....I was 857 overall (top 11%) and top 5% for females and my age group.

VA is supposed to be harder than PA, but I will be in better shape, a solid 10lbs lighter and not coming off an injury. So I'm shooting for 5ish hours and hoping under 6 for max time. But you really can't compare venues or even same venue year to year times....so I'll just give it everything I've got. I shoot for placing %'s now.

VT is a Beast for sure. My buddy did it last year in pretty good shape and it took him 7.5-8 hours. I personally would shoot for 8-9 hours (I think). I'm doing the NJ Super for time the week before VT. So I'm doing VT for fun with a group and am hoping we are not out there for more than 10 hours. They just have wicked elevation available to them in Killington. You literally have to deal with massive weather changes throughout the race and freezing cold water/swims. And most people are just not trained for or have been exposed to such a long requirement of mental and physical endurance. That is why a lot of people don't finish. That and hypothermia. And severe cramping. And starting too late and being too slow and getting pulled off the course (make sure you take a head lamp!). My buddy did the HH12HR with me and said I really didn't have anything to fear in VT. But I still do fear it. Even though my goal is really to just finish and survive it. It won't be easy. That's if I survive VA next weekend LOL....*sigh*

uxgaqqcq8uds.jpg
    We finished blue at the same time and DC would of been close you had to pass me in the underwater wall I lost my Gopro and was in there 10 minutes trying to find it. I'm glad I asked you are times are very similar and blue was my first race EVER
  • 13BANE13
    86vi073yxdy0.jpg
    DC finish
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Lol I beat you by 0:00:21 seconds in PA. And in DC I busted the time chip band snap off on the slip wall. Wasted some time talking to a staff member about the time chip being in my hydration belt. You should have seen the bruising on my wrist from that. It was terrible.

Keep up the great work!!!
  • 13BANE13
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Lol I beat you by 0:00:21 seconds in PA. And in DC I busted the time chip band snap off on the slip wall. Wasted some time talking to a staff member about the time chip being in my hydration belt. You should have seen the bruising on my wrist from that. It was terrible.

Keep up the great work!!!

Haha good times right PA was first time ever in my life that I ever completely gassed out at 6.5 miles in I struggled another Spartan gave me a gel and about 15 minutes later I was back in action it was a real test
    But I learned from my mistakes I didn't even have my camelback at PA that was a HUGE mistake!!!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Did the Spartan Sprint, 4th in my age group out of 47 I think, (50-54) and in the to 20% overall. It was very hard core, my teammates said it was harder than the Ohio super and their times were about the same. My friends think I am crazy to do this at 53. Haters gonna hate! I was going to do the Chicago super in August but got waylaid.

Spartans are the best, I FORGOT TO EAT BREAKFAST and was in big trouble after about an hour. Someone gave me a clif bar which was a life saver!

The important thing is to make sure you are properly trained or you could get hurt, especially at my age!

• carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    By the way, we have no hills so we do tons of bear crawls. Forward, backward, one foot. We also do carpet pushes- push a carpet around a gym floor until you fall over. We also do seals with our feet on the carpet square and slide it as we walk on our hands. Seemed to work, our team finished 3rd (Odecree) in Indy. (with no help from me)
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    zg0rkn6wjeso.jpg

We had a few new obstacles today including the Stairway to Sparta. The rope on the spear screwed me up this year - I got the range right this time but was an inch off to the right. :(
  • zj8674
    zj8674 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey, if anyone is training for a Spartan race, I got injured and couldn't do mine this year. I have a code worth $115 from my deferral that I'll sell for $75. Save you $40 on your next Spartan race. Just a thought. Thanks!
  • paddy648
    paddy648 Posts: 5 Member
    Hey guys, cool posts!! Great job on the races!! I've been fishing around looking for info and hope one of you can offer some advice....I did my first Sprint earlier this year and a Super 3 weeks ago. Have another Sprint on Sat and the SC Beast in Nov!!! Been training super hard for these. Unfortunately half way into the Super my legs cramped up something fierce. Medics gave me a bottle of salt water, I knocked that back but the cramps kept coming back and only going up hills. Someone also gave me a mustard packet but no luck with that either. I didn't carb load the day before or have a decent breakfast that morning and I did not have a camel back. I'm almost certain the cramps were due to lack of electrolytes.....I've increased the intensity of my cardio now and also invested in a camel back and some gel pouches!! suggestions anyone?
  • gdyment
    I don't bring a thing for sprint or super other than a few splashes of water that they have on course. Unless you're out there for 2+ hrs? I assume you're talking gut cramp vs some sort of leg cramps.
  • paddy648
    paddy648 Posts: 5 Member
    Nope the gut was fine. Leg cramps....got them in both outer quads at the SAME time!!
  • gdyment
    More likely over-reaching - race day pumps you up and you push too hard on the hills if you're not used to it. Pretty hard to deplete electrolytes in under 2 hrs unless you drank like 4L of water too.
  • 13BANE13
    paddy648 wrote: »
    Hey guys, cool posts!! Great job on the races!! I've been fishing around looking for info and hope one of you can offer some advice....I did my first Sprint earlier this year and a Super 3 weeks ago. Have another Sprint on Sat and the SC Beast in Nov!!! Been training super hard for these. Unfortunately half way into the Super my legs cramped up something fierce. Medics gave me a bottle of salt water, I knocked that back but the cramps kept coming back and only going up hills. Someone also gave me a mustard packet but no luck with that either. I didn't carb load the day before or have a decent breakfast that morning and I did not have a camel back. I'm almost certain the cramps were due to lack of electrolytes.....I've increased the intensity of my cardio now and also invested in a camel back and some gel pouches!! suggestions anyone?

Did killington with a camelback and stinger honey gels with electrolytes. Also set my watch for thirty minutes and every time it went off I either drank or ate a gel 16+ plus miles over 9 hours to finish and ZERO cramps! Hydrating is crucial unless you are an Elite athlete and I feel that they just know how to pre race prep a lot more efficiently
  • 13BANE13
    gdyment wrote: »
    zg0rkn6wjeso.jpg

We had a few new obstacles today including the Stairway to Sparta. The rope on the spear screwed me up this year - I got the range right this time but was an inch off to the right. :(

One of my favorite obstacles
  • 13BANE13
    http://youtu.be/qbsBefDbBzA

This is a link to my Killington Beast for those interested.wpcw8i0a96l1.jpeg