Truth about cold cuts?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has removed cold cuts from their diet and noticed the impact? I saw a nutritionist recently who advised me to stay away from them bc of the high sodium. I am trying to follow her recommendation but a turkey wrap is my usual go to for lunch during work days so it is kind of tough.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I eat super high sodium, but I don't have any medical conditions and I try to deal with the water weight fluctuations. Deli turkey is an easy way for me to throw together lunch and meet my protein goal.

You can buy deli turkey with very low sodium, just don't buy too much at once as it does not keep as long.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sodium is fine in regards to fat loss/ gain. You only need to restrict it if your physician says so. Other than that, on a nutrition and weight loss aspect, and will have no effect on fat gain. You may fluctuate in water weight, but I'd rather keep my sodium moderate- high and allow my body to adjust to those levels. I also drink alotttt of fluid throughout the day though, so i create a balance. Restrict your sodium if you have a medical condition that it may affect. (: just stay hydrated!(:
  • vmag54
    vmag54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No. I eat super high sodium, but I don't have any medical conditions and I try to deal with the water weight fluctuations. Deli turkey is an easy way for me to throw together lunch and meet my protein goal.

You can buy deli turkey with very low sodium, just don't buy too much at once as it does not keep as long.

Thanks!! I guess I should try the low sodium options from the deli and prepare at home!
  • vmag54
    vmag54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sodium is fine in regards to fat loss/ gain. You only need to restrict it if your physician says so. Other than that, on a nutrition and weight loss aspect, and will have no effect on fat gain. You may fluctuate in water weight, but I'd rather keep my sodium moderate- high and allow my body to adjust to those levels. I also drink alotttt of fluid throughout the day though, so i create a balance. Restrict your sodium if you have a medical condition that it may affect. (: just stay hydrated!(:

Thanks!! This is helpful! My biggest problem is that my weight has been fluctuating up and down daily (about 1-3 lbs). I def think I could increase my water intake on a more regular basis.... Some days I can drink as much as 15-20 glasses of water but then other days I'll just do 5 or 6.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Of course, weight changes day by day and throughout the day.
    Weigh once a week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean.,.like, notice what?

When I cut salt, I'd notice I felt better! Less bloated by a lot. When I would go back on the salt, I'd bloat up. Keeping my sodium to a healthy level makes me feel less bloated and a little more energetic.

I was very sad to see luncheon meats (and a lot of other things!) go when I flipped my diet. Now, it doesn't really bother me. It's been so long that I no longer even miss them. They're just something I used to like.

I still eat turkey, just not cold cuts. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Delicious, low in calories, high in sodium. I eat it. No bothers given.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Turkey deli slices are harbouring secrets? What kind of secrets? Immoral liaisons? Compulsive gobbling? Do tell!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    They do m make lower sodium deli meat and cheese. They are just as good.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Turkey deli slices are harbouring secrets? What kind of secrets? Immoral liaisons? Compulsive gobbling? Do tell!
    Heh!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I try to get butterball low sodium turkey just because of taste. It has about 1/3 to 1/2 or so the sodium as others. I don't know if they have it in the deli - I get the packaged. I don't have any now or I'd tell you the mg of sodium. I know it's in 200s rather than 500 and 600s.

Most deli turkey now tastes saltier to me than ham.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I eat deli turkey (Thin and Trim, 250 mg sodium for two slices) two or three times a week. I have high blood pressure and try to eat at or under the recommended 1500 mgs. a day (I am not perfect though). As I do with all my macros, I try to make it fit, and adjust other food to do so. I had some on Saturday and managed to keep my sodium at 1137 for the day. I add a piece of deli-sliced swiss, avocado and tomato or sweet roasted red peppers to the sandwich (made with Pepperidge Farm low-sodium bread), so two slices is sufficient. I've lost 48 pounds so far. My weight has fluctuated up and down all the time since I started weighing daily five months ago.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It would be wise to limit moderate to highly processed foods, but individual foods do not dictate a person's health. Try to think of nutrition from a perspective of daily macro, micro, and calorie intake instead of whether cookies, coffee, or cold cuts are good/bad for you.

If you are a normal weight, 30 year old female with no history of high blood pressure then I don't see why your doctor would advise limiting sodium. Did you have blood work done, or was this just their opinion about sodium in general?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist who tries to demonize individual foods is a nutritionist you need to dump. That's not science -- it's voodoo. Anyone who ascribes quasi-magical labels to "good" foods and "bad" foods is a crank and not worth whatever you're paying them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's a big government conspiracy. We just don't know which government.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    IF you do want to cut it out, what about roasting a chicken and slicing that down for your own lunchmeat? I personally use deli meats even if they are higher in sodium, but if you truly do wish to avoid them, a little prep on Sunday could still net you some nice wraps during the week!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well they have sodium and nitrates, which aren't the healthiest thing, but in moderation, it's not a huge deal.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well they have sodium and nitrates, which aren't the healthiest thing, but in moderation, it's not a huge deal.
    Exactly. I don't think her nutritionist is telling her to avoid deli meat; she's telling her to watch her sodium intake, which categorically includes deli meat.

I love shredded turkey over a spinach salad, but I don't eat it every day.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

My dyslexic brain read that as immortal liasons. I now have a very amusing mental picture of an anthropomorphic deli turkey slice in a passionate embrace with Dracula.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Cutting sodium will lower water retention, which can be significant enough to show up on the scale. All depends on your pattern and normal intake.

I've been told for decades to watch my sodium intake, cause of borderline high blood pressure. Best readings I've ever had where after i had lost 50 lbs, even thou my sodium was out of control.

If you are worried about it, cook at home, shred it, and use that. After all, its a wrap, doesnt have to be in slices...

I do this all the time with a pressure cooker, using pork shoulder, a roaster chicken, or a turkey breast.