What do you do in the gym that's effective?

Options
So my boxing instructor is starting his own gym, which will take a couple of months. Which means that in the meantime, I'll have to work out in my office building's gym. I'm planning to run a bit again (jump back into C25K), and try to incorporate some exercises I do with him (basically 3 minute rounds of a lot of different exercises, like jump rope, skaters, bicep curls, burpees, toe taps, etc). I always have more trouble staying focused in the gym without taking a class or having a trainer, although I can probably manage it for a couple of months.

My question is, then, what is your gym routine, and how effective do you think it is? (Note that I don't have barbells/heavy weights). Do you do some treadmill, and then HIIT stuff? Only one thing? Primarily weights? Do you have a routine you could post? Just looking to get some ideas to keep myself motivated. Have you seen these workouts make a difference for you?

*Disclaimer: I know weight loss is calories in vs calories out, and that weight loss will happen as long as I burn more calories than I take in, whether I work out or not. I'm just asking for some ideas, and whether people think their workouts are effective by whatever way they want to measure it (weight loss, stronger muscles, increased endurance, reshaped body, fun, etc).

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What is effective for me might not be effective for you. What are your goals? I'm trying to stay energetic, upbeat, and recover from a knee injury, and 150-180 minutes of stationary bike per week plus knee rehab exercises accomplishes that. I'm not trying to lose weight.
  • unckate7
    unckate7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I mean I'm trying to lose weight and get into better shape, but I'm really just interested in the different ways people utilize their basic gyms (not boutique gyms or classes or anything). Do people find they use the machines a lot, or more so dumbells/kettlebells/steps/empty space for bodyweight exercises? What is your favorite thing to do in the gym? Stuff like that.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I teach a cardio/HIIT class at a satellite of my local YMCA and they are greatly lacking on any equipment. We only have 8lb kettlebells and a couple of dumbbells (only up to 15lbs) to utilize. They have some fitness balls and aerobic steps there as well. For my class I find Pinterest and Facebook are helpful in keeping things from getting dull while finding workouts that don't require a lot of equipment.
  • tmsix
    tmsix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have never boxed for real but I have a full size punch bag and gloves etc although I have never been trained in boxing (just watched YouTube) I have enjoyed it as workout.

To me it revealed the body parts that needed working on to box in my beginners way. I felt I needed shoulder, neck and back strength. I had worked all the popular weights workouts but boxing felt like my upper core was neglected, so my humble suggestion is something that works the core hard in conjunction with the main upper muscles.

Or just lifting heavy stuff in general.
  • michellejaneowen919
    Options
    I've just mixed up my gym routine to this

20 mins (ish) treadmill. Warm up jog,then forty second sprints with thirty second rests, finish with jog ay the end. This really gets my heart rate right up and slight burn in the lungs.

Two to three rounds of circuits. I've always managed my own circuits because I enjoy putting the plans together. I use a heart rate monitor to keep my level in check and find moves using mfp blog and apps. I try to incorporate different pieces of equipment to keep it interesting. Bosu balls, medicine ball, weights, steps etc.

Free weights. I just do three rounds of ten to twenty reps of some basic free weight moves.

Finish off with a row or cycle

For me the more I sweat the more into it I get. The hardest part of the gym is the first five mins on the treadmill for me when I've not quite broke out into a sweat. I have a deal with myself that if after the first five mins/1 km I'm not into it then I can never leave. Ive never left.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do about 15/20 minutes of strength work (machines) then cardio (arc trainer or elliptical- but usually arc trainer, as i burn more on it). I just ordered NROL today and am looking forward to that :)

my primary focus right now though is weight loss- and i still have a lot to go before i start working on recomp
  • unckate7
    unckate7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Michellejane I think your routine is what I'm aiming for - probably a warmup on the treadmill of c25k, and then circuits. The key will be making myself choose the exercises that I don't necessarily love (burpees, lizards, weighted jumping jacks) along with the ones I do in order to keep myself in shape. And finishing with a row or cycling seems like a great plan.