Anyone take French as adult?

Options
shells0715
shells0715 Posts: 102 Member
Hello,
Just curious if anyone on here has learned French as an adult? I'm thinking of taking some part time courses either through a college online or in class at a local college. Lately when applying to positions I see that being fluent in French is an asset plus it might be interesting too. Did anyone take some college courses to speak French as an adult and if so did you learn lots?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• shells0715
    Options
    anyone?
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am an English teacher in a Spanish speaking country... I have seen people going from 0 to a quite decent level. The trick to learn a language is the commitment, having a clear view of what are your needs, and practice.

If you need conversational French, or written, or whatever be sure that your class addresses those needs. Try to use the language on everyday tasks, however small, it helps your mind to get used to it.

Learning a language as an adult is different than learning it as a child, but it is not impossible.

You can do this!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    German may be more beneficial. Even the French will be speaking it after the next invasion!
  • shells0715
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »
    I am an English teacher in a Spanish speaking country... I have seen people going from 0 to a quite decent level. The trick to learn a language is the commitment, having a clear view of what are your needs, and practice.

If you need conversational French, or written, or whatever be sure that your class addresses those needs. Try to use the language on everyday tasks, however small, it helps your mind to get used to it.

Learning a language as an adult is different than learning it as a child, but it is not impossible.

You can do this!

• shells0715
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Not impossible to learn but being fluent would be difficult if you can't practice. Writing and speaking are very different things.
  • shells0715
    Options
    That's true. I have been using the program Dulingo but think classes may be more beneficial to practice speaking in French.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Classes would definitely help. I took French immersion as a child and am considered fluent but rarely get to use it. When I do, it's more often Quebecois French which is entirely a different thing from the French I learned in school.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    Im taking a french class at the moment,
    I find it was easier to learn as a child because I was more motivated and just the way I was being taught then was different and more effective, but I am still learning quite a bit now, I just have to practice lots more.... more than I necessarily care to practice.
    tips for learning another language, dont learn it by translating it into your native language, it makes it more difficult to remember/actually learn
  • TMacKtwenty4
    TMacKtwenty4 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Options
    I took the first two basic french classes at the University of Moncton Online, and I also have Rosetta Stone. It is at times challenging. The online instructor advised us that the key is mass memorization, as conjugation only seems to follow a set of rules for regular verbs..... the irregular is a whole different ballgame. @lulucitron is right, if you can't practice it is hard to remember.
  • shells0715
    Options
    Would you say you are fluent in French now? Has it helped you at all with career advancement? Thanks :)
  • TMacKtwenty4
    Options
    @shells0715 I am no where near fluent, and depending on the situation I am not confident in the phrases that I do know. However saying that I live in New Brunswick and the french that is spoken here is let's say unique. It is not Quebec French or France French. It is a hybrid with different dialects depending on the region you are in.
    I do try to muddle through with the limited French I do know (using French at work only).
  • TMacKtwenty4
    Options
    @shells0715 ..... I have not yet retested to ascertain my level of competence. It wouldn't help me in my profession for advancement, but it would secure me a temporary position over someone who has no French
  • shells0715
    Options
    thank you for your input :)