Fish - advice on quick cooking tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I dip the filet in egg, and coat with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and bake in oven for 20 minutes at 400.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    if they're thin, like a sole fillet, fry in a little butter and liberally season with salt and pepper. Serve on a salad, or in a wrap.

Sole is a disgusting bottom feeder. It's healthier to eat the insole of your gym shoes. Just because it has protein and low fat doesn't mean it's good for you!

Granulated Sugar is fat free. Why don't you go eat a bowl of sugar?!

Please do research before putting *kitten* into your body.

Who said anything about fat free being the reason to choose fish? Especially since I said to fry it in butter. Calm your shorts, 'classically trained chef'. I bet you still would cook lobster for someone, but only because it's an expensive disgusting bottom feeder.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    if they're thin, like a sole fillet, fry in a little butter and liberally season with salt and pepper. Serve on a salad, or in a wrap.

Sole is a disgusting bottom feeder. It's healthier to eat the insole of your gym shoes. Just because it has protein and low fat doesn't mean it's good for you!

There's nothing wrong with sole, or sugar either, for that matter. Take a deep breath, stop cussing (which is rude and against the rules), and don't criticize other people's food choices.

I apologize. I'm a classically trained chef and I am very passionate about food. I just hate seeing people mislead into making unhealthy choices by clever marketing tactics.

Catfish, swai and tilapia are great to have as a meal every now and then (no more than a dozen times a year) but they are not healthy for you. They carry tons of toxins. You'd be very surprised to know how lenient the regulations are on farm raised.

I've done my research and am truly educated on these matters. If you have any questions in regards to cooking, feel free to ask.

Fun fact: did you know a banana is actually an herb and not a fruit? Haha

I'm kind of a big deal. -Classically trained chef and reddit moderator.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I just put a bit of olive oil in the pan and sear each side for about 2-3 min, depending on the thickness of the fish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I grill most of my fish...I use various seasonings to season my fish...then I grill it usually...about 5 minutes on each side usually does it...3 on each side if I'm doing shrimp.
  • jessikajacobs123
    Options
    Flash frozen is sometimes the better option then "fresh." Unless you live close to where the fish was caught, chances are that what is behind the fish counter marketed as "fresh" was actually previously frozen then thawed for display purposes and then sitting out for who knows how long. I recommend flash frozen salmon. Let fish fillet thaw overnight in fridge. Season according to preferences (for me a small amount of salt, pepper and garlic powder). Heat a teaspoon of olive oil (or oil of choice) on medium high in a pan. When oil is hot, add the fillet skin side down and cook for 4-5 minutes. Then flip the fillet and cook 2-3 minutes. Then remove from heat. Serve with lemon. This is the easiest way to make and still make it taste delicious. Hope that is helpful.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I buy the frozen fillets. They are cheap, and quick to cook.

I take them straight from the freezer, add a little oil to a pan, and cook on med-low, covered, for 3-4 min on each side.

I season with salt, pepper and garlic then a squeeze of lemon after cooking.

They cook in the same amount of time as a bag of microwave steam veggies. Dinner in less than 10 minutes.

ditto.

I'll also toss them frozen on the grill on indirect heat. i did that the other night (was a trick i learned from my drinking buddy who grills all the time). we had that and grilled veggie kabobs the other night.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yup! super simple to cook fish through pan searing--mix up the flavors with the herbs and spices. Dill is a fabulous one to use with lemon or lime. Also, you can wrap it in foil and bake it with olives and onions, etc. too.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I either microwave or grill (Foreman) my fish. Except for shrimp and scallops - those I stir fry with veggies.
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm going to probably give the pan searing a try...they have this "pan searing flour" but I'm not really sure I need that. The foil wrapping sounds good too, but especially for lunches I'm really low on time, so pan searing might be the way to go for me.

As for the fresh stuff, salmon is about the only thing I can cook - but I tried the same cooking times, etc, with flounder and it was a mess!

I'll have to give the "regular" frozen a try - I've just been using the Gorton's stuff (grilled fish patties). I just wanted something fresher/healthier.

Thanks again, everyone :) I'll check in later in the week and let you guys know how it went :)
  • jjhintz
    jjhintz Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been hooked on the following ever since heading to costco and buying some frozen fish last week

Step 1: Go to costco and buy your choice of frozen individual fish (I bought a few 3lb bags of cod)

Step 2: put frozen fish into cold water and defrost for 10-15 minutes

Step 3: preheat oven to 420

Step 4: take fish out of plastic packaging and pat dry. Get out a little glass dish and cover with foil. Do a quick spray of pam on the bottom

Step 5: Rub Cod with 5g of olive oil. Mix 1/4 cup (1 serving) of breadcrumbs with 10g of olive oil and put on top of the fish.

Step 6: bake for 14 minutes.

Extremely tasty and takes about 5 minutes to prepare.

In total:

1 Tablespoon of EVOO
    6oz of fish (cod in this case)
    .25c of bread crumbs

370calories / 20C/17F/34P

• rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use my George Foremen grill and Mrs. Dash seasonings. However I find I need to spray the grill good so it does not stick, I use a olive oil spray.
  • rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with sole, or sugar either, for that matter. Take a deep breath, stop cussing (which is rude and against the rules), and don't criticize other people's food choices.

I apologize. I'm a classically trained chef and I am very passionate about food. I just hate seeing people mislead into making unhealthy choices by clever marketing tactics.

Catfish, swai and tilapia are great to have as a meal every now and then (no more than a dozen times a year) but they are not healthy for you. They carry tons of toxins. You'd be very surprised to know how lenient the regulations are on farm raised.

I've done my research and am truly educated on these matters. If you have any questions in regards to cooking, feel free to ask.

Another one? And no, there are no 'unhealthy' choices about food as long as you aren't eating that particular food for every meal.
    Let's not get lost in the semantics of labeling fruit vs vegetables, etc. The OP is just asking about cooking fish.

So what fish do you recommend? I eat a lot of fish, salmon and cod and yes some tilapia. Salmon is my favorite.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rdlhuskers wrote: »

Another one? And no, there are no 'unhealthy' choices about food as long as you aren't eating that particular food for every meal.
    Let's not get lost in the semantics of labeling fruit vs vegetables, etc. The OP is just asking about cooking fish.

So what fish do you recommend? I eat a lot of fish, salmon and cod and yes some tilapia. Salmon is my favorite.

I do like salmon, especially with the skin on to get a nice crisp. Cod is good, as are swai, flounder and walleye if you like white and flaky fish. Tuna is a tasty fish and not too hard to cook, and doesn't take very long as it should be served rare to medium rare. Mackerel is another good tasting fish if you like salmon.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Eat less fish if it's not in your budget. Bottom feeders like tilapia and sole are not healthy for you. Sure they might be high in protein and low in fat but they also carry a *kitten* ton of toxins. It's better to eat quality fish once or twice a week than to eat unhealthy alternatives daily.

Wowza. People on these boards like to eat what they please.

As often as possible.

There is nothing wrong with sole, or tilapia or salmon or even catfish.

OP, I buy frozen salmon and tilapia filets. I spray a touch of olive oil in a deep 12 inch skillet with lid. Throw in all my veggies (mushrooms, broccoli, pea pods, onions, red pepper etc.) let them cook a few minutes, add some fresh garlic and push the veggies to the sides, add my fish, put on the lid and cook about 5 minutes each side, maybe a bit more. Take the lid off, throw in some fresh spinach and for about 340 calories I have more food than I can eat.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I poach mine in a bit of almond milk and then season with some chives