Pumpkin pie custards for a nutritious treat

Options
asternpirlot
asternpirlot Posts: 10 Member
Hi all,
At my house we're overrun with last year's canned pumpkin and just about to get a new batch this year. One recipe my family likes and is easy and tasty is the following. Maybe you can enjoy it too!

Makes 5 servings (or 6 at minus 20 kcal each). I usually bake them in individual serving ramekins.

Ingredients:
500 grams (about 2.5 cups) cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (SO Delicious or similar)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp Xylitol or other type of sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
30 grams raw (de-hulled) pumpkin seeds.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
combine all ingredients except pumpkin seeds in a mixing bowl and mix with an immersion (hand) blender, or blend by whatever other means you wish. It's important that everything is well blended.

Portion mixture into ramekins and add 1/5 (or 1/6) of pumpkin seeds to the top of each.

Bake for around 30 minutes or until the center is dry

Cool and serve!

Nutritionals per serving (assuming 5 servings):

Calories: 120
Fat 3.7g
Cholesterol: 74mg
Sodium 174.4mg
Potassium: 322mg
Carbs: 19.8g
Fiber: 2.8g
Sugars: 10.1g
Protein: 4.3g
Below are percentages of daily recommended values for a woman:
Vitamin A: 118%
Vitamin C: 8.2%
Calcium: 4.6%
Iron: 5.9%

The pumpkin seeds provide a nice crunch and make a good alternative to pie crust. Enjoy!

Replies

• dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I like to make pumpkin pie filling and bake it in a casserole. Pumpkin pie without the crust!
  • asternpirlot
    Options
    @sweets1954 Yeah that's pretty much what this recipe is--crustless pumpkin pie and it's great! One little difference is I normally use more egg relative to other ingredients with this recipe than with a standard pumpkin pie since it seems to have a better texture that way for eating like a custard. Happy pumpkin season!
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That sounds fabulous! I love all things pumpkin!
  • asternpirlot
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    So now please do tell how do you make the canned pumpkin?

From fresh pumpkins in the garden. We cut them in halves, clean out the pulp and seeds, and put them face down on trays in the oven and roast until they're soft, then peel the skin off, mash or cube, put in canning jars and can in a pressure canner according to the recommended time and pressure for pumpkin. It's a lot of work at harvesting time but so worth it to have pumpkin all year for recipes like this, or soup, or whatever! That said, this recipe works with canned pumpkin you buy at the store too, of course!
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From my research the recommended way to can pumpkin is in chunks -- not mashed like you get in the can at the store. I canned pie pumpkins a couple of years ago and we enjoys every single jar. Better than canned pumpkin from the store!

Your recipe looks delish!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options

From fresh pumpkins in the garden. We cut them in halves, clean out the pulp and seeds, and put them face down on trays in the oven and roast until they're soft, then peel the skin off, mash or cube, put in canning jars and can in a pressure canner according to the recommended time and pressure for pumpkin. It's a lot of work at harvesting time but so worth it to have pumpkin all year for recipes like this, or soup, or whatever! That said, this recipe works with canned pumpkin you buy at the store too, of course!

Hi! I hope you see this...I'm wondering what is the brand of pressure canner you use? Are you happy with it? I am familiar with pressure cooking and am thinking of buying a pressure canner.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @asternpirlot see the above post ^^^^ :smiley:
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am going to give your custard a try. Thank you. :)
  • LindaSmith108
    LindaSmith108 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Can it also be frozen? I'd like to try it but I'm kind of afraid of pressure canning (all the horror stories, I've never even used a pressure cooker).
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, pumpkin freezes well, if you have the space. I often freeze the extra, if I'm not using a whole can of pumpkin. Bake/microwave the pumpkin, mash, measure into desired amount for the recipes you have in mind, freeze. I plan to freeze mine in square sandwich containers (holds 2 cups), then pop them out, and seal in FoodSaver bags.
  • asternpirlot
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »

Hi! I hope you see this...I'm wondering what is the brand of pressure canner you use? Are you happy with it? I am familiar with pressure cooking and am thinking of buying a pressure canner.

Hi @KellieTru! Sorry not to get back to you sooner--I didn't see your question right away. And now that I have seen it, I will disappoint you because I don't know the brand of our pressure canner. It's very old--from my mother-in-law--and I can't find any indication on it of the brand. But that said, it seems high enough quality. It's quite heavy duty, a very thick and heavy kettle and lid that tightens down by turning in to align the lid handles with the kettle handles, and it has a wire basket insert so you can put the jars in or take them out all at once. There's also a little thing that sits on the top of the lid that adjusts the pressure depending on how you seat it. It fits 8 quart jars, I think. Anyway, sorry again not to be more help, but I'm sure any pressure canner with these features will be pretty similar regardless of the brand, and of course they all have to meet safety requirements, etc. Good luck with your canning! It's a lot of work but so worth it!
  • asternpirlot
    Options

Can it also be frozen? I'd like to try it but I'm kind of afraid of pressure canning (all the horror stories, I've never even used a pressure cooker).

I was a little intimidated by pressure canning at first too--it seemed risky and needs to be precise in order to ensure safety. I think for pumpkin, the reason people advise cubing rather than mashing is because with mashed thick things (think peanut butter, or pumpkin, or even apple sauce) if you're not careful to get rid of ALL the air bubbles in the mix, that's where those dangerous bacteria are likely to proliferate. With cubing the pumpkin, you put the cubes in the jar then fill around them with water and there's no issue with trapped air.
  • asternpirlot
    Options
    behnybaby wrote: »
    I am going to give your custard a try. Thank you. :)

Great! I hope it turns out well for you. Let us know how it worked out :-).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I make this in a crock pot and then just bake off little pie crusts for those who want them. (which we all do cause pie crust is yummy)

http://www.recipesthatcrock.com/crock-pot-crustless-pumpkin-pie/
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I was a little intimidated by pressure canning at first too--it seemed risky and needs to be precise in order to ensure safety. I think for pumpkin, the reason people advise cubing rather than mashing is because with mashed thick things (think peanut butter, or pumpkin, or even apple sauce) if you're not careful to get rid of ALL the air bubbles in the mix, that's where those dangerous bacteria are likely to proliferate. With cubing the pumpkin, you put the cubes in the jar then fill around them with water and there's no issue with trapped air.

Sorry to double post, can you simply water can the pumpkin? I too fear pressure canning. Heard too many accident stories. I know pressure canning is better with certain foods, but I did the hot water canning for my pumpkin butter and it came out great and hold up 6 months to a year.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Sorry to double post, can you simply water can the pumpkin? I too fear pressure canning. Heard too many accident stories. I know pressure canning is better with certain foods, but I did the hot water canning for my pumpkin butter and it came out great and hold up 6 months to a year.

NO YOU CAN NOT WATER BATH CAN PUMPKIN. Wath bath canning is good ONLY for high acid foods. Pumpkin is not high acid. You got very liucky if you did try hot water canning for pumpkin. Please don't do it again. Pressure canning is not as dangerous as improperly canning low acid foods.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Is all spice similar to pumpkin spice? Assuming I can use 2% milk instead of coconut milk? I want to make these tonight but I'm more of a cook than a baker. I know textures can go wrong if you use the wrong subs. Thank you :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Is all spice similar to pumpkin spice? Assuming I can use 2% milk instead of coconut milk? I want to make these tonight but I'm more of a cook than a baker. I know textures can go wrong if you use the wrong subs. Thank you :)

Re: allspice vs. pumpkin pie spice. They're very similar. Whether substituting one for the other works for you depends on how sensitive you are to subtle flavor differences.

Pumpkin pie spice is usually cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice and nutmeg or mace.

For me, allspice alone doesn't provide enough flavor complexity, but plenty of people do substitute it. And/or if you have any of those other spices available as well, you could add a touch to balance out the pure allspice flavor.

I personally would feel safe using 2% milk in this one instead of coconut milk, but I haven't made this recipe (yet).

Thank you so, so much! If you want I can let you know if the milk works