I want to see it can be done! 300 lbs start

Options
I am losing weight with the help of my doctor, a dietician, an exercise physiologist, and MFP. When I told my doctor my weight loss goal, he said that it was pretty much impossible, because i've been overweight my whole life. I would LOVE to see pictures of people who HAVE done this, because I want to do it and prove my doctor wrong!

My start weight: 135 kilos (297 lbs)
My ultimate goal weight (i have set smaller goals along the way): 70 kilos (154 lbs)

My doctor has said I should aim for a little bit under 100 kilos (220 lbs) and be happy with that for the rest of my life. Thank you so much in advance

Replies

• spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Get ready to show your doctor what's possible! I love your persistent goal despite expertise nay saying. Other people might let that get them down. You've got an awesome attitude!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.
  • Sophlilcady
    Sophlilcady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »
    Get ready to show your doctor what's possible! I love your persistent goal despite expertise nay saying. Other people might let that get them down. You've got an awesome attitude!

Thank you! It's hard as I haven't been that wait since my early teens :# but I have a very obese partner and I had a dream that he had died of a heart attack at 40 and I was waddling along with a frame in a mumu rubbing my knees every few metres, and I was only 35, and my kids were so embarassed to be seen with me. I know that's extreme, but if my partner doesnt change thats the way he's heading, and I don't want to be a burden to my kids because I lacked the self control to get to, and maintain a healthy weight. It was a literal wake up call
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a theory (sorry, not much in the way of references) that people who have been overweight all their life have some change take place in their genes so that your body naturally wants to get back to that highest weight again....the theory says that your body thinks it is starving so is always trying to get back the high weight. Perhaps this is what your Doc is referring to?

The more I lose by calorie counting on MFP, the more I think that the theory might be a poor excuse for our obese society, and how we have come to accept crappy food and laziness as 'normal'.

I too have been overweight for a long long long time. I know I will have to put effort into thinking about what I eat and how much I move for the rest of my life. Will my body want to put back on the 40kg I'm going to lose?? It will if I feed it too many calories. Can I do it without a tool like MFP?? I don't know yet....I am only 8kg down so far, so have a long way to go. If I find that I can't do it without MFP - then taking deliberate note on what's going on with calories for the rest of my life is a very small price to pay for health.

Keep looking at these Success Stories - lots and lots of people have done it and have pics to prove it. Then go and read through the Maintenance section. Lots and lots of people have kept it off. You can too. :)
  • hdawood85
    hdawood85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how many pounds you lose in the process. It is VERY important you remember that any pound lost is a new success for you and one more step towards a better life!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's not impossible, but it's very difficult. Your doctor has probably never seen anyone make that big of of a change. But lots of people here on MFP have done it. I am well on my way after 15 months with no intention of stopping!
    SW 301
    CW 196
    GW 150
    Video of my success so far, compliement of my trainer:
    https://www.facebook.com/GetfitPT/videos/vb.241674085965567/704218469711124/?type=2&theater
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You go girl!
  • Sophlilcady
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your lovely support, and wow lorrpb you're a great inspiration :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You seriously need a new doctor. I'm sorry but your doctor is a complete douche.

Surround yourself with only positive people. You can do this!! And welcome to MFP :)
  • Kaylabaila
    Kaylabaila Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5'[img]https://15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanilla forums.com/editor/8r/urfl28zs6wvy.jpg[/img]
    5'3 300lbs to about 175... But I'm even less now and still going. IT CAN BE DONE :)
  • kyliegoodwin04
    kyliegoodwin04 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey hun feel free to add me. I've got another 46kgs to lose so in it for the long haul too
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 lbs and I'm 170 now...I wasn't necessarily 300 but I set out to lose 100 lbs and I'm 40 lbs away now so yes it can be done.

Persistence and patience is key, and That's all it takes.
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It can be done I started at 301 lbs in January I have lost 89 lbs I am now 213 lbs and still losing
    I don't really have an end goal I am going to lose to I am happy with my weight
    ly891cpkr7h8.jpg

• jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If your doctor has hooked you up with the dietitian and exercise physiologist then he/she is obviously serious about helping you lose weight.

If - or should I say when - you get to 220 I think your doctor will be delighted and will be more than willing to support you to lose more.

I guess many doctors get demoralized giving out advice about weight loss and not seeing much success in the majority of cases. Make his/her day by being the exception and succeeding.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Starting at 135, aim for 130 before the end of the month.
    Then aim for 122 before the end of October.
    Then ain for 115 before the end of November.
    Then aim for 109, and so on.

Give yourself SMART objectives. Within a month, say "I'm going to lose 1.5kg in the next 7 days"

The hardest part of losing weight is staying motivated. If you get to 100kg and you're still motivated, then keep going. But at the very start, aim for short term gains. Your doc knows this and psychologically he wants you to achieve as much as you can. He said to stop at 100 as he doesn't want you to give up when you have a bad day and think "I'm never going to reach my goal."

As to whether you can do it, well of course you can. You know what has to be done.
  • Sophlilcady
    Options
    tomnev1 wrote: »
    Starting at 135, aim for 130 before the end of the month.
    Then aim for 122 before the end of October.
    Then ain for 115 before the end of November.
    Then aim for 109, and so on.

Give yourself SMART objectives. Within a month, say "I'm going to lose 1.5kg in the next 7 days"

The hardest part of losing weight is staying motivated. If you get to 100kg and you're still motivated, then keep going. But at the very start, aim for short term gains. Your doc knows this and psychologically he wants you to achieve as much as you can. He said to stop at 100 as he doesn't want you to give up when you have a bad day and think "I'm never going to reach my goal."

As to whether you can do it, well of course you can. You know what has to be done.

Thanks for the advice. My first goal is losing 10% (so, 13.5kg) then 5% increments from there. I have already gone down to 129.1 from 135, so that's very motivating. But this is so different, my mind set has changed. I know I don't have to feel motivated every day, as this is just how my life is now.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Your doctor was probably just trying to set a more attainable goal for you so you don't get discouraged with how far you have to go. I understand the idea. If he/she set you up with a dietitian they seem to be supporting your progress and that's good.

that being said, you can probably get to the 150's eventually depending on how tall you are. (you don't want your BMI too low in the end) I started out heavier than you (315) and have lost about 75lbs so far with a goal of 180 (62lbs left to go!). You just have to break it up into small chunks that you can attain and celebrate. I would suggest a goal of 10lbs at a time with a non-food related reward when you get there (like a pedicure, girls night, trip to the movies, new shoes, ect). Other than that, keep in mind that slow and steady wins the race. If you can manage 2lbs a week ON AVERAGE you'll lose over 100lbs this year.

good luck!
  • redkop
    redkop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight with the help of my doctor, a dietician, an exercise physiologist, and MFP. When I told my doctor my weight loss goal, he said that it was pretty much impossible, because i've been overweight my whole life. I would LOVE to see pictures of people who HAVE done this, because I want to do it and prove my doctor wrong!

My start weight: 135 kilos (297 lbs)
    My ultimate goal weight (i have set smaller goals along the way): 70 kilos (154 lbs)

My doctor has said I should aim for a little bit under 100 kilos (220 lbs) and be happy with that for the rest of my life. Thank you so much in advance

http://whatwillilooklike.com/#1p9bjy

This will give you a very good idea. Other than MFP, this is what motivated me.

My own partial story on: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10252978/43kg-off-in-6-months-and-targetting-the-last-20kg#latest
  • Sophlilcady
    Options
    Your doctor was probably just trying to set a more attainable goal for you so you don't get discouraged with how far you have to go. I understand the idea. If he/she set you up with a dietitian they seem to be supporting your progress and that's good.

that being said, you can probably get to the 150's eventually depending on how tall you are. (you don't want your BMI too low in the end) I started out heavier than you (315) and have lost about 75lbs so far with a goal of 180 (62lbs left to go!). You just have to break it up into small chunks that you can attain and celebrate. I would suggest a goal of 10lbs at a time with a non-food related reward when you get there (like a pedicure, girls night, trip to the movies, new shoes, ect). Other than that, keep in mind that slow and steady wins the race. If you can manage 2lbs a week ON AVERAGE you'll lose over 100lbs this year.

good luck!

My first goal is 10% of my body weight, then each 5% from there is a mini goal. For each goal reached I am buying a little charm, and when I reach my final goal will buy a nice silver bracelet for all my charms to go on
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options

My first goal is 10% of my body weight, then each 5% from there is a mini goal. For each goal reached I am buying a little charm, and when I reach my final goal will buy a nice silver bracelet for all my charms to go on

I really like that idea!

While my goal was smaller than yours, I still managed to lose the 10% in a short amount of time, the 5% has been slower. I did not make any dietary changed that I could not be happy with for the rest of my life.

You can do this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!