Weight Gain After Hysterectomy at 40

Options
I am 7 1/2 weeks post op! Really disappointed in my weight gain since surgery. Wondering when I will gain my energy back and lose this weight? I gained 20 lbs in 6 weeks :(

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've just had a major surgery - please give yourself a break, concentrate on recovering and focus on your weight loss goals once you have! :]

Try smaller steps first of all. Work out your calorie allowance and get to grips with tracking your food. Once you've got the hang of that (I would definitely suggest weighing your food too!) you may want to introduce light exercise (though not necessary for weight loss). You can do this! Best of luck.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Were you very active before the op? it seems a fair amount to gain in a short period of time...
    but you are still recovering so the main thing is to concentrate on your health. If you could be mindful of your eating and just how much you may find that you've just been eating more than you were burning.
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you so much! I was very active and just recently had lost 30 lbs so I am pretty bummed that I gained sooo much so quick!
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    You've just had a major surgery - please give yourself a break, concentrate on recovering and focus on your weight loss goals once you have! :]

Try smaller steps first of all. Work out your calorie allowance and get to grips with tracking your food. Once you've got the hang of that (I would definitely suggest weighing your food too!) you may want to introduce light exercise (though not necessary for weight loss). You can do this! Best of luck.
    Thank you so much! This really helps!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    TiffKouns wrote: »

Thank you so much! This really helps!

I'm glad :]
    Stick with MFP and the forum's and don't be afraid to reach out if you need help!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Had you lost the 30lbs very quickly? sometimes that can be the problem, then when we return to normal eating the weight just piles on again (which so many are inclined to do)...thats why its better to find something sustainable that we can do in the long term, so its no longer about dieting, but more about being aware of what we're eating and how much.

All the very best, if you lost it before, you'll lose it again :smile:
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you on medications? That could contribute to weight gain. Also, after surgery, your body holds onto a lot of fluids. Take it easy and I'm sure the weight will begin to come off again. Surgery is a major trauma for the body so be patient.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's hard to deal with a lot of changes at once, like losing weight and having surgery. Still, surgical menopause could have an effect on your weight gain. My suggestion is that you eat at maintenance for the duration of your healing, try not to gain more, and go back to a deficit when your surgical wounds are fully healed.

Do you still have your ovaries? If yes, you can have hormonal problems anyway, because the surgery, through no fault of the surgeon, can affect the blood supply to the ovaries. If not, you might be on replacement hormones, or you might not be able to take replacement hormones depending on the reason for your hysterectomy. If you're on replacement hormones, you might need progesterone, which you might not have been prescribed, or a different dose of your replacement hormones. If you're not, your body has been thrown into menopause, and that is often not fun.

Honestly, it took me two years to get my replacement hormones worked out, and I've also changed my diet in ways that have helped me get back to feeling more like I did before my hysterectomy. My problem was my brain, not my weight.

How long were you supposed to recover from your surgery before exercising?
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info! I am 7 weeks post op. Just started walking again yesterday, also started my 1200 calories again! I do still have my ovaries. I had 3 softball size fibroid tumors! He said my uterus was 10x the size of a normal uterus!
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Are you on medications? That could contribute to weight gain. Also, after surgery, your body holds onto a lot of fluids. Take it easy and I'm sure the weight will begin to come off again. Surgery is a major trauma for the body so be patient.

Thank you so much!
  • TiffKouns
    Options
    Had you lost the 30lbs very quickly? sometimes that can be the problem, then when we return to normal eating the weight just piles on again (which so many are inclined to do)...thats why its better to find something sustainable that we can do in the long term, so its no longer about dieting, but more about being aware of what we're eating and how much.

All the very best, if you lost it before, you'll lose it again :smile:

Yes! I am motivated thank you so much!