Fishing general 470 calories burned??I question this!

Options
I am not sure where you get these calories from! But I really cant see how you can burn 470 in 2 hours of fishing! When you are pretty much either standing in one spot! Or sitting most of the time! So If this is wrong, How many others are wrong! Does anyone know how they figure calories burned? Please help!:grumble: Thanks!

Replies

• mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what fishing you are doing and if you are catching anything. I can see that fly fishing would burn more because you are continually casting and reeling in. On the other hand the fishing with casting out and sitting witha can in your hand wouldnt be much at all
  • RobinS78
    RobinS78 Posts: 20
    Options
    I question a lot of calories burned calculations from this site and other online tools (even the machines themselves). I think the best way to get a more accurate count of your calories burned is to invest in a heart rate monitor. I don't know much about them, I don't yet have one, but I know there are several threads on this site where they've been discussed!
  • watchmelose2
    watchmelose2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor! But it don't tell you how many calories your burning! It just lets you know you are in a calorie burning range! In other words, you have to get your heart rate up so high, before you start burning fat calories! This does not help you on how many calories you are burning!:smile:
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I really don't know all that much about calorie burning but what I know for sure is that your body doesn't lie and always has it right. No matter what number appears on your MFP daily log, your body will adjust to the true intake and true exercise effort. I consider MFP a guideline to let me know just about what is happening but rely more on the scale, percentage of water and body fat to give me accurate information.
  • cmisty2001
    Options
    I fish with scouts and it does matter how you do it:-) up/down banks climbing/walking constant casting fly fishing padding a canoe etc. Getting to the magic spot can be rough.

Then rarely there's the sit in a chair on the bank and the crazy fish just beg to jump on your line - extremely rare but nice when it happens
  • zave
    zave Posts: 238
    Options
    Maybe it includes taking the kids fishing. I know when my kids where young, I didn't realize what a workout it was.

Bait their hooks about every 30 seconds.
    Trying to catch the bait, one of the kids let go.
    Run to the car for something, about 10 times.
    Jump in the water to retrieve a lost hat, toy, pole, etc. etc. you get the picture.
    Come to think of it, I never lasted 2 hours ha ha ha.

Now if it's 2 guys sitting around, talking, drinking a beer, with a line in the water. I can see where you are coming from.
  • watchmelose2
    Options
    Maybe so But I caught some really nice Bass!
    I fish with scouts and it does matter how you do it:-) up/down banks climbing/walking constant casting fly fishing padding a canoe etc. Getting to the magic spot can be rough.

Then rarely there's the sit in a chair on the bank and the crazy fish just beg to jump on your line - extremely rare but nice when it happens
  • watchmelose2
    Options
    It also says fishing from a bank 546 calories for 120 min.
    And 470 calories for fishing general and 390 for fishing out of a boat sitting!:wink:
  • TessaGibson
    Options
    To "watchmelose2" (I don't know how to reply specifically to your post!) It depends on the type of heart rate monitor you have. Mine shows me how many calories I burn in a workout as well as when I'm in the fat burning range for my height, weight, gender, etc. :) Very handy! I couldn't live without mine now!
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Along with the arm movement, if you are wading, you use your legs, back and core to balance A LOT while wading over rocks in a current. (Imagine walking and standing on those half globe balance things at the gym) There is also the hike from the parking area to the good hole. My fishing trips usually last about 6 hours and feel like a long day of yard work.

Personally, I never count fishing or yard work as a workout. I see it as the benefit of an active lifestyle and head to the gym for a measurable calorie burn.
  • watchmelose2
    Options
    Thats great! Where do I get one? Mine only shows the heart rate!
    To "watchmelose2" (I don't know how to reply specifically to your post!) It depends on the type of heart rate monitor you have. Mine shows me how many calories I burn in a workout as well as when I'm in the fat burning range for my height, weight, gender, etc. :) Very handy! I couldn't live without mine now!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how fishing goes. Now doing it for 2 hours...I can possibly see buring 470 calories. Now if you just cast and sit there and drink beer...maybe not. But my husband and his buddy go bass fishing a lot and I would see them burning that much in 2 hours because they are constantly casting and reeling in, they are not ever just "resting".
  • qhfyn
    qhfyn Posts: 2
    Options
    First of all, fishing is an outdoors pursuit. As a general rule you get cold in most temperate climes and therefore the majority of the calories burned will be in creating heat. Secondly, you will be walking to and from the fishing spot. On average I walk about 4-5km each time I go river fishing. Thirdly and this is where the waders come in, if you have ever fished in waders you really have a battle with the cold so you can double the calories for staying warm. Finally you have all the casting and general activity that goes with fishing in a river.

Having said all that I do think the calories are high for this, but I lose a stone in a week every fishing holiday I go on, which is the same as I do on my skiing holidays and generally speaking they have the same results on myfitnesspal, so maybe the numbers are right after all.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Another thing besides what has already been said about fishing, not all fish willing come in to shore. Some fish are strong. I'm not saying they are going to drag you into the water but they aren't coming willingly and they make you work the rod to bring them in.

Whether 470 is accurate or not I don't know. I use a HRM for everything I'm going to log.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I used this link for any activity that I can not track via bike, pedometer, or elliptical. I hope it helps.
  • d_renaud
    d_renaud Posts: 5
    Options
    I am not sure where you get these calories from! But I really cant see how you can burn 470 in 2 hours of fishing! When you are pretty much either standing in one spot! Or sitting most of the time! So If this is wrong, How many others are wrong! Does anyone know how they figure calories burned? Please help!:grumble: Thanks!
  • d_renaud
    Options
    well that depends on lake fishing or ocean fishing
  • d_renaud
    Options
    I think they probably walked the banks, constant casting, I know when I am fishing all day I walk alot, cast alot, body movements etc...
  • timeformajorchange
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor! But it don't tell you how many calories your burning! It just lets you know you are in a calorie burning range! In other words, you have to get your heart rate up so high, before you start burning fat calories! This does not help you on how many calories you are burning!:smile:

I would question what kind of HRM you own then. I have a Polar F4 and it tells me all sorts of good things like how long I worked out, what my average heart rate was, what my max heart rate was, how many calories I burned, how long I was in my ideal heart rate range, etc. I have tried 3 of the HRM that is just the watch part (without a chest strap) and I found them to be inaccurate and a pain to use as you had to take your heart rate by pressing two fingers on the sensors anytime you slowed down or sped up your movement. The chest strap type monitors it constantly, without requiring you to do ANYTHING extra. It's just much more user friendly IMO!!! More expensive yes, but I've had mine for 5 years now and it's still working. Only thing I've had to do was change the battery in it. You simply put in your age, weight, height and you're good to go. Simply press "start" when you begin your workout, "stop" when you're thru, and it tells you exactly how many calories you burned (along with the other info I mentioned above).

If your HRM doesn't tell you calories burned, I'd invest in a new one. :) The best investment I've made ever.
  • KJackson50
    KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question a few days ago, and have come to the realization that if done right, fishing can actually be a work out.

I go bass fishing, and that is really active. You constantly have to cast and reel in. If you're using spinnerbait or some sort of lure you have to reel at varying speeds.

That along with walking to and from certain spots, and standing the whole time.

When I fish I only sit to eat (if I brought lunch out there) or tie a hook onto the line. So 470 does sound about right